Sundevil's 5gal Portrait

Sundevil_Brian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post up my 5 gallon pico since I joined this forum. I've had a reef tanks before but had to tear them down 10 years ago. This is my getting back into salt.

Aquarium is a Marineland Portrait that I've upgraded the pump and added a heater.
The light was also replaced with a DIY 5x Cree RGBW led array. I tried just individual led chips but really hated the disco effect. The RGBW crees fixed that problem. Now I've got uniform color and I still get a shimmer from the individual emitters.

Tank is just coral and clean up crew right now. Have been thinking of adding a clown goby but not sure if it'd like the 5 gallon. The pods, hitch hikers, snails, hermit, and coral keep me entertained enough for now.

Corals right now are 2 different zoas, 1 pink/peach pally, 2-3 different kinds of hitch hiker mushrooms i got on a piece of live rock, 1 orange ricordea, a hammer coral, a blue/purple pocillopora, and a birds nest frag that is having a hard time right now.

I'm running a "bare" bottom with tiles I cut to fit on the bottom that are now pretty covered in various algae.
IMG_20190317_203002040.jpg

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same tank and have used it for bettas but have often thought of the possibilities of turning it into a reef. Super excited to follow along!

What pump did you go with?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back