Super high nitrates help

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heavily stocked 40g reef. I tested my nitrates like 80 super bright red. API test. I have 4 tangs and a cow fish and clownfish. I plan on upgrading In a few months. I think a big problem is that I over feed my tank. I feed nori daily and a cube of frozen mysis daily. Question how much do I really need to feed them. I do a 5g wc weekly. Please help me lower my nitrates

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heavily stocked 40g reef. I tested my nitrates like 80 super bright red. API test. I have 4 tangs and a cow fish and clownfish. I plan on upgrading In a few months. I think a big problem is that I over feed my tank. I feed nori daily and a cube of frozen mysis daily. Question how much do I really need to feed them. I do a 5g wc weekly. Please help me lower my nitrates
You probably are feeding them exactly what they need. I like fat, happy fish.
Probably would help if you get them in more water volume with a bigger tank.
You also could do 10 gal water changes and make a bigger dent in the nitrate. Protein skimmer will help too.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you really have 80 .. API is notorius for being not very accurate. My suggestion is Salifert.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Feed your fish so they are nice and plump. Bone thin looking fish are malnourished and more likely to get sick from my experience. Of course this is going to cause you to have pretty high nitrates but you are pretty overstocked so it's going to happen anyways.

Increase your water change from 5 gallon to 10 gallons. Before your next water change, test your water for nitrates and then test again once you do the water change. See how much nitrate is removed. At your next water change test the water for nitrates again. You can now determine how much nitrate your tank is producing in a week and how much you remove in one water change. With this information you can adjust the water change accordingly to meet your needs.

If a large water change is not going to be sufficient, you can run a macroalgae refugium on top of this as well.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet a steak sandwhich its your test kit reading a false reading. I would not do anything until you have your water tested by a more reliable brand for Nitrate. Salifert, Red Sea. Possibly have your LFS test it so you don't have to spend more money on test kits yet. Unless of course if your LFS uses API, then you will have no choice but to invest in a better nitrate test kit.

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made this diy protein skimmer with stuff I had laying around. And did 5g wc again just did one two days ago
2B608039-4529-43F3-8C45-17071AA2E5F2.jpeg

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do bigger water change each week.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's keep the discussion civil, please.

I would agree that many tangs in a 40 gallon would put a serious bioload on the water quality.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can do 20 percent water changes - in 7 days it will be 20

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure you really have 80 .. API is notorius for being not very accurate. My suggestion is Salifert.
I kind of disagree - and agree. API is notorious for being not very accurate - but that said - I think its overblown - if the reagents are not expired - and the test is done correctly. I only use API tests. The question to me is - what was the nitrate last week, last month etc - If it hasn't been checked for 6 months - it could easily be 80. Especially if the OP is on the (IMHO) faulty bandwagon of 'no water changes'

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job w/ DIY. What type(s) of filtration do you have? I see the HOB filter, is that primary or is it a suppliment? How about a full tank shot of the display & a description of the life support system (sump)?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One cube of mysis? Those Tangs must be starving.

Your tank is overstocked! Going to a 20% water change is not going to solve your problem.
This is not correct - (about the water change - it depends on how often the water change is done.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's keep the discussion civil, please.

I would agree that many tangs in a 40 gallon would put a serious bioload on the water quality.
I guess it depends on the size of the tangs. BUT - in any case - I am not sure any tang should be in a 40 gallon tank (and I'm not a 'tang police' fan at all

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse your mysis and get rid of the "juice" and "oils." That will help some. Drop the nori and use some pellets - usually less waste and the fish can get greens from the spirulina in good pellets.

Water changes will help. You can run some activated carbon, but you have to change it often - this can remove organics before they break down into the N cycle... if you don't change it every few days, it becomes a bio filter. Good skimmer will help too.

If you have sand, make it deeper. 2-3" sandbed can handle nitrate over time and keep them low, but not too low - perfect equilibrium. This can take months for the bacteria to develop, so you have to do other stuff too.

Whatever you do, don't go so fast that your corals get mad.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rinse your mysis and get rid of the "juice" and "oils." That will help some. Drop the nori and use some pellets - usually less waste and the fish can get greens from the spirulina in good pellets.

Water changes will help. You can run some activated carbon, but you have to change it often - this can remove organics before they break down into the N cycle... if you don't change it every few days, it becomes a bio filter. Good skimmer will help too.

If you have sand, make it deeper. 2-3" sandbed can handle nitrate over time and keep them low, but not too low - perfect equilibrium. This can take months for the bacteria to develop, so you have to do other stuff too.

Disagree.... except that water changes will help - I don't think there is a reason to rinse frozen food

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You did read this is a 40 gallon right? Adding 2” of sand would likely change it to 36 gallons (if there is nothing else In it).
taking volume away at this point seems to be a big mistake because the solution to pollution is dilution.

Back