Super Tongan snail NOT reef safe!

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have heard pretty much everyone say that the Super Tongan Nassarius Snails (Nassarius Distortus) are reef safe. In this video I watch one not only eat a piece of food stuck in a zoanthids mouth but it also eats the top of the polyp off too! I don’t think these are quite as safe as everyone says they are. The 1st night after I put these in my tank I woke up to a very dead (previously very healthy) six line wrasse that had been eating frozen mysis and pods regularly and a dead and empty astrea snail shell. Tonight is the 2nd night so I went in with a red light to watch these snails and see what they are up to.

D76CA507-AF00-4D82-907C-303F09540E4C.jpeg
5E512DE5-A971-4DE7-B0C2-A6AD0C4072D4.jpeg
70AE4AAA-7AB4-4AD1-8348-7BD8905276B0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And now in snail jail until I can figure out what to do with them in the morning.
0648D3F4-D4B1-4E0C-A554-BD875BE91F4B.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ended up giving them to the cool employee at the store, the dumb s*#t employee said he’d never seen an astrea hurt anything, still arguing that they were astreas.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 3 shrimps get picked off during their molt by these guys.

I have 3, they lay new clutches of eggs every day, I am seriously considering getting rid of them.

My wife just bought a new cleaner shrimp a week ago, and on day 3 one of the snails based jump from the tip of the aquascape down onto it, and ever since the cleaner shrimp stays on top of the return.

I feel like unless you feed laege pieces of meaty food, they get aggressive. I have ti drop in a fairly large frozen krill every 3 days or they constantly appear to hunt.

My engineer goby and lawnmower blenny knock them accross the tank on site, my clowns have relocated when the snails change their regular haunt near them, me hermit crabs have to fight them off multiple times.

They also don't seem to be super common as it took me a while to find pictures of the same kind before finally identifying them as tongan nassarius snails, mis labeled when I bought them as morphus or whatever. They are pretty, and acrobatic, but I think they are predators at this point.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 3 shrimps get picked off during their molt by these guys.

I have 3, they lay new clutches of eggs every day, I am seriously considering getting rid of them.

My wife just bought a new cleaner shrimp a week ago, and on day 3 one of the snails based jump from the tip of the aquascape down onto it, and ever since the cleaner shrimp stays on top of the return.

I feel like unless you feed laege pieces of meaty food, they get aggressive. I have ti drop in a fairly large frozen krill every 3 days or they constantly appear to hunt.

My engineer goby and lawnmower blenny knock them accross the tank on site, my clowns have relocated when the snails change their regular haunt near them, me hermit crabs have to fight them off multiple times.

They also don't seem to be super common as it took me a while to find pictures of the same kind before finally identifying them as tongan nassarius snails, mis labeled when I bought them as morphus or whatever. They are pretty, and acrobatic, but I think they are predators at this point.
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, but nassarius distortus aren't known to inhabit the rocks - they are sand dwellers. I suspect that whoever collected and (mis?) labeled them for sale actually collected some similar -looking snail...

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, but nassarius distortus aren't known to inhabit the rocks - they are sand dwellers. I suspect that whoever collected and (mis?) labeled them for sale actually collected some similar -looking snail...
I agree. I believe they are sand dwellers until they go on the hunt, then nowhere is safe.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I believe they are sand dwellers until they go on the hunt, then nowhere is safe.
Or... there are dozens of similar snails in the genus Nassarius and what are being sold to hobbyists as vibex and/or distortus are, in fact, carnivorous snails.

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Or... there are dozens of similar snails in the genus Nassarius and what are being sold to hobbyists as vibex and/or distortus are, in fact, carnivorous snails.
Very true, and now that you mentioned it, I noticed it’s snorkel has patterns on it where the distortus is supposed to have a solid colored snorkel

13B1A509-3DFA-4124-9387-E608D40493A5.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For example, Nassarius arcularius and Nassarius coronatus both look VERY much like distortus but are carnivores (predatory).
Good call on the nassarius archlarius. Look at the snorkel in the links photo. It has the same markings.

@Court_Appointed_Hypeman does yours have the patterns on the snorkel too?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back