Support your LFS before they're gone!

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of the equipment we buy is MAP (minimum advertised price) priced so everyone charges the same. Might as well give your lfs the business. They might have it in stock or can get it for you within a few days. If you're a regular customer you might even get a discount. It won't be much as the margins are slim but every bit helps when it's time for new coral frags or other livestock.

Right now many manufacturers are offering Black Friday sales. Your lfs also gets the better pricing but at a short window to buy so they can't always take advantage of bringing in a bunch for inventory. So understand if the lfs sometimes can't meet the discount. On the other hand...
I got a used (discontinued) protein skimmer from my lfs with the proviso that I could return it within 3 months for credit if I didn't like it. Turns out the pump wouldn't start. I called him about getting either a Simplicity 540DC or RedSea 900.
I checked the internet prices for both and they're very close. I called my lfs about getting one or the other and he informed me that the Simplicity was discounted 10% for Black Friday pricing. He took off another 5% for my trouble with the used PS. None of the big box internet companies show that discount yet.

I also like buying livestock locally as I can see what I'm getting and his pricing is fair. A small sailfin tang is $20, an Orchid Dottyback pseudochromis is $35. He also has a small purple tang for $199. I'm thinking of putting it on hold till my tank is ready for it.

Too many local fish stores around here are gone. It's the same everywhere. So please, if you have a good lfs near you please support them as much as possible.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of the equipment we buy is MAP (minimum advertised price) priced so everyone charges the same. Might as well give your lfs the business. They might have it in stock or can get it for you within a few days. If you're a regular customer you might even get a discount. It won't be much as the margins are slim but every bit helps when it's time for new coral frags or other livestock.

Right now many manufacturers are offering Black Friday sales. Your lfs also gets the better pricing but at a short window to buy so they can't always take advantage of bringing in a bunch for inventory. So understand if the lfs sometimes can't meet the discount. On the other hand...
I got a used (discontinued) protein skimmer from my lfs with the proviso that I could return it within 3 months for credit if I didn't like it. Turns out the pump wouldn't start. I called him about getting either a Simplicity 540DC or RedSea 900.
I checked the internet prices for both and they're very close. I called my lfs about getting one or the other and he informed me that the Simplicity was discounted 10% for Black Friday pricing. He took off another 5% for my trouble with the used PS. None of the big box internet companies show that discount yet.

I also like buying livestock locally as I can see what I'm getting and his pricing is fair. A small sailfin tang is $20, an Orchid Dottyback pseudochromis is $35. He also has a small purple tang for $199. I'm thinking of putting it on hold till my tank is ready for it.

Too many local fish stores around here are gone. It's the same everywhere. So please, if you have a good lfs near you please support them as much as possible.

Last night I bought a bunch of dry goods from Ft Worth small quality LFS, and the owner came in as I was checking out. He was SO SO SO appreciative, it nearly made me cry. They aren't going to admit to us they are hurting, but that one day we need them - they could be gone in the future if we don't support them today.

BUY LOCAL. Invest in your own community. Above sounds like amazing prices, but I understand when my local shops may have higher prices - they have to keep the lights, heat, tanks, etc on while who knows what might be going on at online stores.

Above is great reminder. Thank you @cmor1701d - stay salty my friends and buy local!

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried, but mine always comes up short. Need some regent,”don’t carry”, need a new Ph probe, “we can order one and be in this weekend”….still hasn’t showed up….need some CX media, “don’t carry”. I gave up after multiple tries with other things that I thought where pretty common.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with this. Perhaps one day R2R can have a whole section dedicated to local LFS state by state. Not just coral vendors but the mom and pop fish stores down the block. Give them an opportunity to reach out to a good size audience.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried, but mine always comes up short. Need some regent,”don’t carry”, need a new Ph probe, “we can order one and be in this weekend”….still hasn’t showed up….need some CX media, “don’t carry”. I gave up after multiple tries with other things that I thought where pretty common.

Are you "Dallas" as in Texas? If so there are OODLES of Dallas LFSs and can name some in metroplex that stock what you are seeking - my favorite thing to do is check out aquarium stores, not that I get to do it often, but if you need ideas, feel free to reach out to me... there is a list on www.dfwmas.org (you'll need a free ID and be logged in to see Partners Forum of website -- leftover glitch from recent website upgrade that they're waiting to have fixed)... but there are way more DFW TX stores than just those

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always buy livestock from my LFS, but I also almost never buy dry goods from my LFS. If I'm paying the same from BRS, I might as well buy from BRS to save on gas and get some points.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you "Dallas" as in Texas? If so there are OODLES of Dallas LFSs and can name some in metroplex that stock what you are seeking - my favorite thing to do is check out aquarium stores, not that I get to do it often, but if you need ideas, feel free to reach out to me... there is a list on www.dfwmas.org (you'll need a free ID and be logged in to see Partners Forum of website -- leftover glitch from recent website upgrade that they're waiting to have fixed)... but there are way more DFW TX stores than just those
I am in Denton, only one that has anything I use is the Dallas aquarium store in Carrollton, but that is a very long drive for me.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I support my LFS when I can. They are great, and sometimes have to order what I need; usually, pricing is close (sometimes better than BRS, but usually not), and will work with me on livestock trades, etc.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made this point many times before ….. any of the LFS that survive near me do so because they’re mostly transitioned to a service business. I don’t think a handful of hobbyists going out of their way to buy locally will make much difference. I transitioned to almost 100% online years ago. It’s just better. Not unique to this hobby either, specialty retailers are disappearing across most domains. World has changed, and legacy business models with it.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately I have an awesome lfs. The owner has been in it since the 90’s. Large selection of fish, inverts and corals and if they don’t have what I want she’ll order it for me. I try to buy everything I can from them and even switched to the Fritz salt that they carry. They give me store credit for frags even when I don’t ask for them. I would hate to see them go away.

OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Not every lfs is a great resource or vendor. The pet stores catering to dogs and cats and maybe have some fish stuff are generally not the go to. Others just don't have the right attitude and I wonder how long they'll be around. Rural areas are going to hard to find someone great. I'm lucky though Aquaridise might be the last good store within a half hour of me.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everything I bought came from my local LFS. Only exception was some macro Algae which they do not sell.
The LFS I go to most of the time is very good. I got all my fish and invert there and so far did not get a single sick fish. I do not quarantine so I would have known it fast if their fish were unhealthy.
I never buy coral so I cannot judge the corals, but their display is very tempting.
I have been tempted sometimes to buy on line, but after reading so many horror stories about delays in delivery and fish too hot, too cold, sick or even DOA I prefer to buy what I can see in person.

OP
OP
cmor1701d

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always buy livestock from my LFS, but I also almost never buy dry goods from my LFS. If I'm paying the same from BRS, I might as well buy from BRS to save on gas and get some points.
Exactly what I was planning on doing and even told the first store employee I met that was my intention. But reading the reviews of this lfs and meeting the owner changed my mind. Yes, I've bought a ton of stuff from BRS, but also from Amazon, PetSmart and chewey when price was much better at one over the rest. I was buying python parts from Amazon as they were considerately less than BRS for the combination. Then I saw on Amazon "ships from PetSmart" so I checked their online prices and got everything from them. My lfs was considerably more for these items.
Still I like buying local when I can

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy most of my fish from my lfs and I've never had an issue as they are treated before sale but corals . Nope tanks are infested with aiptasia and I don't mean a small one here or there. I guess some people don't care about that. A huge coral section and grow out tanks in the back but I'm not taking that chance.I did order my reefer 625 from there though. Usually only has 1 each of dry goods if that and almost always not what I need. So I order all that online.

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are lucky there are some great coral vendors in Los Angeles (Vivid, LAX, Deep Blue) so never had to purchase livestock online. So nice to see the specimen in person…and since my daughter and I always purchasing and learning about reefs together most of the shops we frequent always seem to hook her up a little extra.

There are definitely some LFS that are not as nice tho. It’s interesting to see the care and attention to detail at some shops and how dirty and dank others are. Def not supporting algae and aiptasia filled tank stores. If you don’t care, we don’t either.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Denton, only one that has anything I use is the Dallas aquarium store in Carrollton, but that is a very long drive for me.

Much closer to you are AquaStudios in the Colonies and Rift2Reef in Highland Village. There is a cluster of them if you head SW like Roberts Reef. Going further out towards Plano is Exotic Aquatics.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens (phyto/pods/more) is based in Flower Mound, just south of you. You should ask David or his family where they like to go (give them a call).

Over time I've asked Dallas North Aquarium for unusual things, and while they say no, when I go back later I find suddenly they are stocking it. If they find there is an interest, then I guess they'll do it. When you are truly looking for that one off unique item, online can be helpful. LFS would have to setup wholesale account, order enough to meet wholesale minimum qty, it can be hard for them.

I think of a gift my mom had given me of a gorgeous Timex watch with a grey leather band that broke. Couldn't find replacement anywhere at all. Started dating a guy who was responsible for division of one of the national jewelry store chains. Asked for it... he was like... I have to buy 20 (or 30) of those replacement grey leather watch bands... are you sure you don't want black leather band instead.... Probably LFSs are faced with same challenge and wonder if they can move all the additional min purchase to get you just 1.

I drive up from south Grand Prairie to all of the above and more. I understand scope of the DFW metroplex can be a bit overwhelming. When I first moved here, I thought I was familiar with the Beltline and other circular road concepts because I came from Washington DC and Baltimore MD beltways... HA - scale / distances here in TX are HUGE... but I find it makes a nice drive when I want to see something new and different. Roberts Reef just had long horn yellow tiny cowfish yesterday - had 5 but heard just 1 was left by about 2pm when I heard and saw what someone had just bought. It's been years and years since last I saw one of those in person - seemed like a very healthy and perky little fish.

I appreciate you try to shop local!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back