Support your LFS before they're gone!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why we need to support the LFS. They are instrumental in introducing people to the hobby and helping people set up their first tanks. Most LFS owners are seasoned reefers who can guide people in how to take care of a tank using their method. This is great for beginners but doesn't fit us as well once we mature as reefers. I do my best to support the LFS because I want them to continue to get more people into this awesome hobby.

I could not disagree with this more.

Most people's first experience with the hobby is basically getting whole-sale ripped off by some LFS, having issues and getting advice that doesn't fix the problems, then coming online and figuring out that they spent $2K on $700 worth of equipment, and half of it's junk, or was stuff they didn't need. If they don't bail at that point, they have to wade through the newbie forums (that are mostly the same bad advice, because it's mostly newbies regurgitating what their LFS told them, or what BRS told them) to finally get to someone who can actually keep things alive.

We need to kill that whole pipeline. People who want to sell you things are terrible sources of advice about those things.

Kind of hard to support with hours like these:

HOURS​

Monday
4 - 8PM
Tuesday
4 - 8PM
Wednesday
4 - 8PM
Thursday
4 - 8PM
Friday
4 - 8PM
Saturday
12 - 6PM
Sunday
Closed

Different strokes I guess. I work 9-5 - those hours are fantastic for me.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most people's first experience with the hobby is basically getting whole-sale ripped off by some LFS, having issues and getting advice that doesn't fix the problems, then coming online and figuring out that they spent $2K on $700 worth of equipment, and half of it's junk. If they don't bail at that point, they have to wade through the newbie forums (that are mostly the same bad advice, because it's mostly newbies regurgitating what their LFS told them, or what BRS told them) to finally get to someone who can actually keep things alive.

We need to kill that whole pipeline. People who want to sell you things are terrible sources of advice about those things.

Sounds like your LFS sucks. The proof is in the pudding the LFSs that have been in business for 30 or even 40 years have stayed in business for a reason. In my area, there are countless individuals who have gotten into the hobby because of a good LFS. If yours isn't great don't go there if yours is good then go there and consider switching to a salt they stock or an additive line they have. The LFS can't carry as many products as the big online guys but mine are price competitive with what they have and I am happy to use Brightwell instead of Seachem, Or RedSea instead of TropicMarin if it supports them.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Most people's first experience with the hobby is basically getting whole-sale ripped off by some LFS, having issues and getting advice that doesn't fix the problems, then coming online and figuring out that they spent $2K on $700 worth of equipment, and half of it's junk, or was stuff they didn't need. If they don't bail at that point, they have to wade through the newbie forums (that are mostly the same bad advice, because it's mostly newbies regurgitating what their LFS told them, or what BRS told them) to finally get to someone who can actually keep things alive.

Went to a LFS to ask/find something to eradicate this Red Turf Algae and was told that "it's coralline algae."

Red Turf Algae.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of the equipment we buy is MAP (minimum advertised price) priced so everyone charges the same. Might as well give your lfs the business. They might have it in stock or can get it for you within a few days. If you're a regular customer you might even get a discount. It won't be much as the margins are slim but every bit helps when it's time for new coral frags or other livestock.

Right now many manufacturers are offering Black Friday sales. Your lfs also gets the better pricing but at a short window to buy so they can't always take advantage of bringing in a bunch for inventory. So understand if the lfs sometimes can't meet the discount. On the other hand...
I got a used (discontinued) protein skimmer from my lfs with the proviso that I could return it within 3 months for credit if I didn't like it. Turns out the pump wouldn't start. I called him about getting either a Simplicity 540DC or RedSea 900.
I checked the internet prices for both and they're very close. I called my lfs about getting one or the other and he informed me that the Simplicity was discounted 10% for Black Friday pricing. He took off another 5% for my trouble with the used PS. None of the big box internet companies show that discount yet.

I also like buying livestock locally as I can see what I'm getting and his pricing is fair. A small sailfin tang is $20, an Orchid Dottyback pseudochromis is $35. He also has a small purple tang for $199. I'm thinking of putting it on hold till my tank is ready for it.

Too many local fish stores around here are gone. It's the same everywhere. So please, if you have a good lfs near you please support them as much as possible.

It's hilarious how much profit people think an lfs makes per a sale on dry goods. Its such a tin markup typically

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are making a generalized answer based off of no data (my biggest pet peeve other than calling algae a plant lol). That might be your experience, but you can't just generalize "most" lfs experiences and workers. Unless an employee works on commision or generally seems they don't care, give them the benefit of the doubt. Your last statement of the first paragraph also is not a great argument. LFS by definition have to keep things alive to sell, and if they clearly are struggling with that, then ask two thing; Are the corals (or what not) dying because of the owner, or the employees? Those are two VERY different questions. Then, you can judge who to ask for questions.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the LFS and used to work at an LFS however, I believe that R2R users are not the target audience of the LFS. There are simply not that many nerdy reef geeks and the LFS does not meet their needs as well as online vendors do.

Here is an example. I told my LFS I want a Gigas Clam. ORA has them and I know they can order them but I also know that random people off the street don't ask for these. The LFS told me that they could order me one but it would take a month before they were able to get in a new order. Meanwhile, I can order one online and have it next week for the same price. Same about dry goods. I really wanted some Brightwell Phosphate E but the LFS doesn't stock it and would charge as much as Amazon with prime delivery. As a nerdy reefer the LFS often doesn't have what I want.

What the LFS is good for is people who don't know what they want. If I came in and said I wanted a clam but didn't know which ones the LFS had Derasas and Maximas and they could sell me one at a reasonable price and tell me all about how to care for them. If I came in and said I had a phosphate problem they could sell me a phosphate test kit, GFO, and Lanthanum but they likely only have 1 brand of GFO, test kit, and Lanthanum. If I didn't know what I wanted or needed to fix my problem the LFS would have a solution.

The core customer at the LFS is the beginner. The LFS can sell them a skimmer of some brand, a tang of some type, some form of calcium and alkalinity supplement, but the chances of them having the exact brand of 2 part you want, the specific model of skimmer, or the specific gucci frag you are hunting for are low.

This is why we need to support the LFS. They are instrumental in introducing people to the hobby and helping people set up their first tanks. Most LFS owners are seasoned reefers who can guide people in how to take care of a tank using their method. This is great for beginners but doesn't fit us as well once we mature as reefers. I do my best to support the LFS because I want them to continue to get more people into this awesome hobby.

I think a lot of people on the forum here forget that the reef2reef community is likely not representative of the average fish tank owner by almost any definition.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned an LFS back in the day and try to support local ones in my area now. It is tough though. Unhealthy fish that are unlikely to survive QT, over-priced and/or poor selections of corals, poor inventory of reef oriented dry goods, and/or a general lack of interest in reefing customers make it difficult. I know exactly how hard is is to run an LFS for profit these days and how much butt kissing some of us reefers require. I understand why our LFSs are struggling and truly want to support them. Still, I find myself ordering more and more of what I need.

Back in the day, LFSs, mine included, survived on customers that were less self sufficient than dedicated hobbyists. I think that is still true. We may find we are not the target demographic that many of our local LFSs are trying to serve. Except for those choosing to serve the reefing niche, most would prefer customers that are brand spanking newbies.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
" We may find we are not the target demographic that many of our local LFSs are trying to serve. Except for those choosing to serve the reefing niche, most would prefer customers that are brand spanking newbies."

Well said!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish we had a good one around me. The good stores are gone or turned bad. I have been burned one too many times to drive an hour out of my way to only walk into a total mess with tanks full of disease. Sucks but if a LFS wants to survive in this climate, they have to go above and beyond.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks but if a LFS wants to survive in this climate, they have to go above and beyond.
Sucks that healthy livestock would put them into the above and beyond category. I'll take it though.

mrjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when I lived in long island, NY I always supported my lfs.. it was small, I knew the owner well and he was always willing to help.. Fast forward to now and a whole new world opened up with internet based sales.. I'm fortunate to have WWC near me, but to be honest I'm very dissatisfied with them.. I have made friends with a one or two of the sales people but it just seems very corporate and cold to me otherwise.. while I realize they are running a business, their prices are ridiculously high and 90% of the time I can get corals and fish cheaper online even when paying for shipping.. So when I do buy stuff, I do it to support my friend who's paid on commission and for know other reason.. Also for the last 5 yrs I've never seen the owner chatting with fellow reefers.. He might but I've never seen him...
/joe

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 lfs in my area one is alright and the other is AMAZING so i go to the amazing one every weekend because thats the only time that he is open. I have been going to him for everything for a couple years now and we have became buddies. He only supplies captive bred fish which is a huge plus imo and he could get in almost any coral that i could ever want when it comes time for me to put coral into my aquarium. I normally hang out at his shop and we almost always talk about what if scenarios with what if we tried this or that with a setup to try to think about what might happen the the aquarium doing what ever method that we would be talking about at that time (and we try to do said methods on new tanks). Its nice to see someone interested into the hobby like i am and try to find ways to keep improving in this hobby. I have learned so much in the 3 years i was into this hobby from said lfs owner and have had a lot of success since i started to learn from him in how to take care of the fish and corals in this hobby. He has shown me how to do it and now i can successfully keep up with a Reef tank and the demands that it needs. Im currently into a project of my own where im going to try and keep 10 tangs in a 6 ft 125 reef tank i have oversized on everything filtration related for the said aquarium and am using all Ecotech and reef octopus equipment. I also have another aquarium ready to go if things don't work out but im hoping that things go well so fingers crossed. Im going to get as many as i can at once and throw all tangs in at the same time and they are all tiny as of now little 2 in tangs. Im going to see if they can grow up together and successfully form a school where aggression gets evenly dispersed amongst the group so one fish doesn't get bullied constantly and they all get along for the most part.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Not every lfs is a great resource or vendor. The pet stores catering to dogs and cats and maybe have some fish stuff are generally not the go to. Others just don't have the right attitude and I wonder how long they'll be around. Rural areas are going to hard to find someone great. I'm lucky though Aquaridise might be the last good store within a half hour of me.
In East Brunswick? Wouldn’t get a rock from that place

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drive 35 minutes both ways to my lfs just because his livestock is better taken care of then anywhere closer to me .he's a nice guy so I don't mind

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just left a LFS. They have a Yellow Tang about 4"-5". Asked how much. Was told "$1000.00, you can't find them."
I'll pass.

Now I understand that they have overhead, operating cost but to charge $3.00 for a packet of Pinpoint Ph calibration fluid? I'll take my support elsewhere which is an option we all have.

chiroboy126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS made me feel some type of way. I've been on their order list for weeks looking for a specific clown and they never call or ordered. I've gone there twice to see what was going on and each time they tell me they will place it on the next weekly order and call me, but then they don't. Idk... I know special order is different, but they are clearly kicking the can down the road and it hasn't been a good customer experience so far. I'll still support them by buying supplies and things but they definitely missed out on a sale due to bad communication.

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I support mine 100%. Tiki Corals in Glenn Allen, Va.
No way would I ever purchase online, unless they didn't carry what I was looking for. Just salt so far. Great rescores to bounce issues off of when things go wrong.
Sometimes it's not about a dollar.
Great store. I try to go every once in a while.

DaveyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the LFS has good customer service and care about their clients, then I try to support them. I have found many equipment items are the same price as online retailers. So, why not help someone who is helping you? Sometimes its nice to not have to wait for a shipment. Especially these days with weather delays. What happens if you need something right away, like an emergency?

Obviously the are good ones and bad ones out there. I have had bad experiences and sometimes just walked out and bought online. I have found that several online shops will give you good advice on the phone or have more knowledge about a product than the LFS.

What I fear is the total demise of the LFS. Remember "Radio Shack"? You could go in there and buy small audio/ video parts. The guy behind the counter would help you. It was convenient. Now you have to schlep to Best Buy or Walmart and hope and pray they have something close. Otherwise your poking around online and trying to find the right part.

Back