Suspicious Anthia Behavior

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 female and 1 male dispar anthias in quarantine.

The quarantine tank just reached therapeutic copper levels yesterday over a 6 day period, and the 14 day clock started.

Everyone accept one female anthia is doing good. Her behaviors:
1) acting solitary from the harem
2) resting on the bottom on the tank
3) slightly labored breathing

I observed her eat yesterday, and will swim on occasion. No visible signs of external infection. This bevahior has been observed for the past 2 days.

All food has Focus + General Cure for internal parasites as part of the standard stage 1 quarantine process.

Looking for advice.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had 9 Dispars do this for no apparent reason. Even the necropsies came back clean. However, once the fish were placed in a more natural DT environment the lethargy ceased.

My advice is to run them through copper ASAP, and if you aren't seeing any white stringy poop get them into your DT.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had 9 Dispars do this for no apparent reason. Even the necropsies came back clean. However, once the fish were placed in a more natural DT environment the lethargy ceased.

My advice is to run them through copper ASAP, and if you aren't seeing any white stringy poop get them into your DT.
Thank you so much for your reply, it's highly valued. All the detritus I've cleaned is solid and brown.

Alex C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I had a school of 3 and all acted as you stated but sadly they did not make it through quarantine. They essentially just stopped eating.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pretty good success feeding calanus to small anthias.
I would definitly prefer to feed natural prey if I could. I just called my LFS, and they don't have live/frozen zooplankton. They have dried, but I don't think that's going to help.

I'll have to make a decision whether or not to preemtively order some tonight after observation.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a power head in your QT? Feeding response in pseudoanthias is dramatically improved if the food is moving.
I currently only have a HOB filter for flow, and the extra MJ1200's I have are too strong for the tank. I do however broadcast from from the HOB return. I'll pick up a smaller powerhead tomorrow.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What would the white stringy poop mean? Internal parasites even after a round of general cure?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently only have a HOB filter for flow, and the extra MJ1200's I have are too strong for the tank. I do however broadcast from from the HOB return. I'll pick up a smaller powerhead tomorrow.

You may find that it really helps. May not do much for the low-rung female. Winnowing down of pseudoanthias from the bottom rung female is very common, and why keeping a stable group long term is very hard.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find that it really helps. May not do much for the low-rung female. Winnowing down of pseudoanthias from the bottom rung female is very common, and why keeping a stable group long term is very hard.
Like the saying goes, anything worth having is hard. Not giving up and not doing any knee jerk reactions. Going to swing by the LFS today to get a pico powerhead, and live brine. Will also be ordering zooplankton from BRS monday.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Warning: Graphic Material***

Between feeding this morning and check in 3 hours later, the suspect anthia perished. When I removed her, her body revealed the spots in the pictures below on her left side. I was unable to see these red marking before, as she would would always position herself with that side against the glass. They appear to be internal, under the skin. Diagnosis??

20191019_105658.jpg
20191019_105702.jpg

Her other side is 'clean'.

20191019_105736.jpg
20191019_105706.jpg

I have a fully stocked medicine cabinent if others should be preventively treated.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be uronema, eating away from the inside: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/

In addition to being an external parasite, uronema has the potential to afflict internal organs and tissue. Anthias are prone to it. The only way to stop it is to food soak metronidazole. I would also treat the water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the white stringy poop mean? Internal parasites even after a round of general cure?

Intestinal irritation, most often caused by internal worms or flagellates. A good rule of thumb is if you are seeing white stringy poop for more than a week it's probably being caused by a pathogen. Some intestinal worms are resistant to praziquantel, so I sometimes have to food soak fenbendazole instead. There are other deworming options such as Levamisole and Piperazine.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Happy to report no more losses. Any kind of dip recommended between QT transfers for this situation? Today marks 14 days in copper.

Are they going into an observation QT or directly into your DT? If the latter, I would give them all a 30 min H2O2 bath as an insurance policy against velvet/brook/uronema: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydrogen-peroxide.640232/

You can safely double the dosage (5 ml of 3% H2O2 per 1 liter of saltwater) in order to achieve 150ppm concentration.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back