Swallowtail pair both Females?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a pair of swallowtails for well over a year. When I got them, the bigger one had faint tiger stripes of the mail patten. Over time, those stripes have faded to the point of barely being able to see them. His behavior is definitely dominant since he chases the other one around fairly frequently. Is there something keeping him from going fully male?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a pair of swallowtails for well over a year. When I got them, the bigger one had faint tiger stripes of the mail patten. Over time, those stripes have faded to the point of barely being able to see them. His behavior is definitely dominant since he chases the other one around fairly frequently. Is there something keeping him from going fully male?

I’ve had a couple of Genicanthus change from male to apparent female over time. Oddly, other species such as anthias and bird wrasse seem to change to males more often. I dimly recall something called exogenous hormones, in the tank water, that can effect sex determination in fish, set the pecking order in discus, etc.

Jay

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon with genicanthus to show the beginnings of male characteristics and then revert back. They are a genus that doesn't readily change sex in aquaria from most of what I have read over the years. It's also possible for them to begin the change and then just stay in the middle, showing characteristics of both male and females.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 30 years I keep about 6 Watanabei angels. Although I never bought a male, I always have a male in the tank. One of mine always change from female to male.
Other than the two, do you have any other Genicanthus angel in the tank? If you have a more dominant Genicanthus, he may keep your swallowtail from fully change.
Here is my pair. I no longer have this pair. My tank crashed in the aftermath of hurricane Harvey. RIP
WatanabeiFemale2016051503.jpg
WatanabeiMale2016051501.jpg

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 30 years I keep about 6 Watanabei angels. Although I never bought a male, I always have a male in the tank. One of mine always change from female to male.
Other than the two, do you have any other Genicanthus angel in the tank? If you have a more dominant Genicanthus, he may keep your swallowtail from fully change.
Here is my pair. I no longer have this pair. My tank crashed in the aftermath of hurricane Harvey. RIP
WatanabeiFemale2016051503.jpg
WatanabeiMale2016051501.jpg
Those are great fish! No, no other angels in the tank. However, I do have other aggressive fish (two triggers and a large eel). Could the other species keep them from becoming fully dominant?

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s 2.5 years later after my post above, and both of my fish are still females. They chase each other around some, but neither seems dominant. I think I have no chance at one turning male.

They are bother super mean to new additions to the tank. I recently tried to add a bristletooth and a sailfin, and the angels were super aggressive to them. Much more than my triggers!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back