Status
Not open for further replies.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the coral I used a saw to frag a while back. It looks great I think! Funny it has grown onto the rock under it, where there’s no light.
50E50E15-74F0-4104-8D34-07BD74A2B326.jpeg

And a couple of pictures from other temporary tanks.
CBEC53DE-558D-403F-B364-8D047E74F478.jpeg
FA1D2AE9-BAA0-48BB-97F2-AA290793F389.jpeg
A6A7CDF9-0D8A-41EA-87F1-A2321176C975.jpeg
CC5AFAE5-03B4-429A-BF0B-4E6763954EB0.jpeg

Things are looking good!

It is very interesting that fragged coral has underside growth.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of those from the public fragging session you did?
I looked through 20 pages of this thread to find a post with pictures from my saw session, but couldn’t find it. This thread is too long now..
But I’m pretty sure I have photos of this colony just after the sawing. I’ll look for them tomorrow.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked through 20 pages of this thread to find a post with pictures from my saw session, but couldn’t find it. This thread is too long now..
But I’m pretty sure I have photos of this colony just after the sawing. I’ll look for them tomorrow.

No biggie, just wondered. :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My colleague have taken these growth progression pics of an Acropora turtuosa. Cool to see that the frags grow First is from december, the last from today.
73BAA2FF-CF04-4A49-890D-F245A1EB7E52.jpeg
C0077AFD-5A02-4DF8-9E80-AAF99D9AAC8B.jpeg
9CBE6ECA-99AA-4F8A-9978-2B2BBC4DC3E4.jpeg

Now, about ten months after starting doing small frags, species for species, it starts to pay off. Doing lots of frags of newly moved corals, in new tanks, with some AEFW abundant, isn’t the perfect timing if you want great survival. Now the survival and growth are good IMO, and we have at least 20 frags of each for about 20 Acropora species. We still have larger colonies too, but the frags are supposed to be spread over almost 100 square meters in the new reef tank. Plus some will be kept in species tanks, as a live DNA bank. And the frags are easy to dip for removing AEFW(which are low at the moment, due to earlier dipping periods).
#buyingnewcoralsischeating ;)

E9AA7E0D-DFFD-4AEB-AFA5-77D20D66AF4D.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still dipping with potassium chloride?
No, that experiment with KCl is on ice.
At the moment we're using Tropic Marin Pro-coral Cure, but at a lower dose than recommended. I think that product is hard to find nowadays, so we've bought Seachem reef dip. I haven't tested it yet though.

There are several homemade dips I would like to try out more, if I had a lot of time :)
-Dip with low salinity tank water
-Dip with tank water and potassium chloride
-Dip with tank water and H2O2

Most of all I want low salinity to work. I've done one test a couple of years ago, with different salinity and different time, on one species of staghorn Acropora. Acropora flatworms don't like fresh water, neither do corals, but corals tolerate brackish water better IME. Timewise I did really short dips, 10, 20 and 30 seconds if I remenber right. I held the coral and shook it gently. The different salinity levels I have to find, don't remember now. I think 10 (1%) were the lowest level. All corals survived.
But be careful if you try this, too long time or too low salinity (also, check pH and temp so they are close to tank water levels) might hurt the corals.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I found potassium chloride to work quite well. It’s it not working for you?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I found potassium chloride to work quite well. It’s it not working for you?
Our plan was to set up a system with only corals and increase the potassium level where we could keep the corals for a longer period. At least longer than it takes for the egg of the flatworms to hatch.
We did set up a system and raised the potassium level, but we didn't get the system to work good enough overall. So we put that experiment on ice :)
I had to look through my notes to remember the results on the short dips we tried. We had some coral die off when we tested dips with KCl. It was a bit too potent according to my notes :) What concentration and what KCl product do you use? And how long dips?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught a copperband butterfly and a rabbitfish in my homemade trap. In one go! Without breaking any corals! Feeling very satisfied :p
Needed them in the experiment tank.

Here’s the trap. Very advanced ..This time I’m hoping to get a Ctenochaetus tang :)

B97FE0C5-54B2-4786-8460-2D7C9B56AD77.jpeg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught a copperband butterfly and a rabbitfish in my homemade trap. In one go! Without breaking any corals! Feeling very satisfied :p
Needed them in the experiment tank.

Here’s the trap. Very advanced ..This time I’m hoping to get a Ctenochaetus tang :)

B97FE0C5-54B2-4786-8460-2D7C9B56AD77.jpeg
What am I looking at here?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am I looking at here?
So the picture didn't explain it all? :)
It some kind of acrylic box with one open side. Which I modified with egg crate over half of the opening and a lace. When I pull the lace the box rises so the opening gets over the surface while the egg crate part is under the surface, trapping the fish inside.

I tried to have it with the opening facing upwards. That wasn't good. Too scary for the fish to enter from the top. So I turned it a bit, so it would be easier for the fish to swim inside. It worked :D

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the picture didn't explain it all? :)
It some kind of acrylic box with one open side. Which I modified with egg crate over half of the opening and a lace. When I pull the lace the box rises so the opening gets over the surface while the egg crate part is under the surface, trapping the fish inside.

I tried to have it with the opening facing upwards. That wasn't good. Too scary for the fish to enter from the top. So I turned it a bit, so it would be easier for the fish to swim inside. It worked :D
Ah ha! I thought so but I wanted to be sure I understood the home made contraption! Very cool!

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our plan was to set up a system with only corals and increase the potassium level where we could keep the corals for a longer period. At least longer than it takes for the egg of the flatworms to hatch.
We did set up a system and raised the potassium level, but we didn't get the system to work good enough overall. So we put that experiment on ice :)
I had to look through my notes to remember the results on the short dips we tried. We had some coral die off when we tested dips with KCl. It was a bit too potent according to my notes :) What concentration and what KCl product do you use? And how long dips?
Have a look at this. I have been using this. From the ingredients listed it appears to be KCI. Try the dosage listed in the product.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at this. I have been using this. From the ingredients listed it appears to be KCI. Try the dosage listed in the product.
Thanks! I've heard good thing about that product before. It's on my list. Will try it soon.

youngreefer10g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I thought I might start a new thread writing about our journey building a new public aquarium. I work as a marine biologist and aquarist at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium in Gothenburg, Sweden. I think I've been here about a decade now. Time flies :)

The Aquarium was founded in 1923, and moved into the museum 1933 when the museum building was completed. Over the years the Aquarium has housed lots of different animals, from Galapagos turtles to monkeys. But since 2001 there's only aquariums. And since 2009 only marine tanks and animals.

We are a non profit museum, funded mostly by the the city of Gothenburg and a foundation. But we also need to get some sponsors, so if you.... ;)

Here a picture just to lighten up amongst all this text..
Snapseed.jpeg

Here comes some info on the Aquarium today. We got about 20 tanks running in the exhibition, from 50L to 25 000L. The total water volume now is around 50 000L. We've focused on tropical reef habitats and Swedish temperate coastal waters.

We are five people working full time in the Aquarium, but mostly three of us are responsible for the aquariums.

And another picture to get people to read the rest of this long post..
Snapseed.jpeg

I've written some about our 10 000L reef tank in my build thread in my profile, so there you can find a lot of pictures of that tank and some of the others.

In this thread I will try to share our work from today until we open the new Aquarium in the fall of 2021.

We closed the museum this Sunday, and our first step is the build a temporary Aquarium in the room where the museum restaurant used to be. Unfortunately we need to clear the old Aquarium facilities before we can move into the new Aquarium, therefor this temporary solution. Our aim is to start up the new tanks with as much "homegrown " corals as possible. And since we're planning on a reef tank with 400 000L water, we will need a lot of corals :)

Corals corals..
IMG_6153.JPG

I hope you would like to follow our journey from a small public aquarium to a medium size. Please feel free to ask any questions you want(or tell me I'm stupid if you think I'm stupid ;)).

So, here's some pictures from this week, the week after closing.

IMG_6244.JPG

This is where the temporary Aquarium will be located
IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

Okey, that was the startup of a new thread. More will come! :)

Best regards
David
where did you get all of those low boys?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you get all of those low boys?
Do you mean the stand with the three small tanks? They came from a LFS. We got them for free if did all the carrying:) They were just a middle step for some rocks and corals before we got the larger propagation tanks in place. Now they’ve retired.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we got some new corals for the experiment, plus some new coral food I want to try out. The corals are Acropora hyacinthus, A. aculeus and A. tenuis. Not sure the species are 100% correct. On the other hand Horniman museum has managed to breed Acropora hybrids, so perhaps species doesn’t matter that much :p

Pictures will come tomorrow. My hands were wet most of the day today..

I did get a picture of four types of frozen food :) Lobster eggs, fish eggs, invertebrate food and copepods. All from Ocean nutrition. I wanted to get an idea of the size of the particles. Unfortunately the fish eggs were too big IMO, and didn’t have enough buoyancy. So those will serve as fish food in other tank I think. The rest looked like good coral food.
D4EB38EB-B3D2-4691-8D88-9A56A47E19C5.jpeg

The plan is to feed heavy in the sexual reproduction experiment, so the corals will have energy to produce gamets. So far we run the tank without water changes. At the moment the nitrate is 3ppm and phosphate below 0,03ppm. In total today we fed 8 cubs frozen food, some Reefroids and amino acids. And EasyBooster. Tomorrow it’ll be more. My guess is that we can stop dosing KNO3 soon.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back