Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The building has started!
IMG_6333.JPG

@Jomama Here's my coffee table at work.. ;)
IMG_6335.JPG
What a table, look like you spilled coffee too

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First propagation tank stand almost ready. First we will paint it and then paint the tank itself. Here we will use two old tanks we've gotten from the university, in plastic, 6 meters long. More pics will come! :)
IMG_6339.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of corals waiting to move/get fragged in the 2000L tank ;Nailbiting
IMG_6340.JPG
IMG_6342.JPG
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
This is such an incredible undertaking.

How much time have you been given to have the old exhibits empty?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such an incredible undertaking.

How much time have you been given to have the old exhibits empty?

According to plan we need to be out of the old Aquarium next summer, by May we've counted on. We might get some extra time, it all depends on stuff we can't affect.. :)
So there's still a lot of time. Just having bad conscience when the corals are growing over each other. Right now we don't have much room left for frags/colonies, so we need to get those new tanks up!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First propagation tank stand almost ready. First we will paint it and then paint the tank itself. Here we will use two old tanks we've gotten from the university, in plastic, 6 meters long. More pics will come! :)
IMG_6339.JPG
Really nice carpentry work. Nicer than mine.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice carpentry work. Nicer than mine.
We got our old carpenter do it for us. He's retired, but do some work for us still. He's the best. Never stressed, everything is ready in time, and always with a smile. He has done most of the exhibits in the museum since the eighties.
Our job is only to paint the stands :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got our old carpenter do it for us. He's retired, but do some work for us still. He's the best. Never stressed, everything is ready in time, and always with a smile. He has done most of the exhibits in the museum since the eighties.
Our job is only to paint the stands :)
WOW, big help

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I did it myself:p

Almost done with scape #1. A rough model at least. I think there will a couple of versions before we settle with one.

IMG_6358.JPG
IMG_6359.JPG
You can do a volcano sticking out of water add dry ice in crater

Add dry ice every two hours

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I did it myself:p

Almost done with scape #1. A rough model at least. I think there will a couple of versions before we settle with one.

IMG_6358.JPG
IMG_6359.JPG

Back home, on my back in the sofa. I thought I could try to explain the idea behind some of these formations.
In front of the large window we want large areas of sand, with lower rock/coral formations.
The small window is located one floor up, you look more straight into the mid/top reef.
The large steep formation in between the windows is there to block the view, we hope to achieve the feeling of looking out into the sea. That means we don't want to see another window. Or wall or pump. But there's still possible to get a 14 meter view in from the small window.

The areas on the back wall that's not covered with rock work is supposed to be blue, with or without light effects. This is to avoid the feeling that it's a wall and the reef stops. Hopefully we can achieve the feeling that the ocean continues out into the blue with these areas. Not sure if it'll be just blue paint on the wall or a blue acrylic sheet possible to change and clean.

Not sure I'm the greatest on explaining, but that was a try at least:p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a volcano sticking out of water add dry ice in crater

Add dry ice every two hours

Might be some areas sticking out of the water to cover cables to pumps. We'll see :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large steep formation in between the windows is there to block the view, we hope to achieve the feeling of looking out into the sea. That means we don't want to see another window. Or wall or pump. But there's still possible to get a 14 meter view in from the small window.
I think this is a great idea. Not only does it block the view between windows but I feel it adds "length" to the tank.

The areas on the back wall that's not covered with rock work is supposed to be blue, with or without light effects. This is to avoid the feeling that it's a wall and the reef stops. Hopefully we can achieve the feeling that the ocean continues out into the blue with these areas.
Love the concept, difficult to pull off. Once the coral grows it will be a challenge to keep it pruned back enough to keep that back wall exposed. Hopefully you can figure out some way to make it work!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back home, on my back in the sofa. I thought I could try to explain the idea behind some of these formations.
In front of the large window we want large areas of sand, with lower rock/coral formations.
The small window is located one floor up, you look more straight into the mid/top reef.

The areas on the back wall that's not covered with rock work is supposed to be blue, with or without light effects. This is to avoid the feeling that it's a wall and the reef stops. Hopefully we can achieve the feeling that the ocean continues out into the blue with these areas. Not sure if it'll be just blue paint on the wall or a blue acrylic sheet possible to change and clean.

Not sure I'm the greatest on explaining, but that was a try at least:p

Trying to get that deep blue look looking far. Reminds me one time in Oahu at the National reef park , instead of snorkeling within the reef I decided to swim past it I think I was 1 mile out, looking toward the deep ocean. Then I thought hopefully no sharks out here, so I swam back quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back