Switching from MH to GHL Mitras

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bob Stohrer Can you post your light composer info? Also curious what your par values are at. I have 5 Mitras on my 7' x 28" (front to back) x 22" tank. Mine is just getting started though, so I won't have shadowing problems for a long time.

How about a screenshot? It looks like I am now at 13k. I dialed down the higher wavelengths today to reduce heatsink temps.

upload_2018-6-26_17-24-30.png

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking Good! you need to get those frags on the rock work.
I do. I want to get some par readings first just so I have an idea of what kind of layout I've got and par in various locations. But...I've been lazy about getting those readings, so on the rack they sit.

Plus, I'm always so indecisive placing my frags, it's so hard! :)

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Get to gluing. They will do better. Just keep the tabling ones on the edge and under the branching ones. :)

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some par readings with an Apogee MQ-200....I find the high sand readings (in red) high in comparison to what I see others maps posted. Otherwise, I think the uniformity of the rockwork makes sense as there aren't huge differences in the height. But..not sure my LPS and softies enjoy the high par on the sand?

29246804308_f2a6c1cf25_c.jpg

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
42250789765_592b06f11f_b.jpg

I still thought par readings would be higher given that my blue channels run at such a high percentage and/or max out a some point. If I wanted to get sps into the 300+ range for par I wouldn't have the power to do so with these fixtures, which seems opposite of everything I've read about them. Not to mention many frags in the past few days have bleached and they are as close to the bottom of the tank as I can get them still on the frag racks. Just doesn't seem to all add up to me. Am I wrong?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still thought par readings would be higher given that my blue channels run at such a high percentage and/or max out a some point. If I wanted to get sps into the 300+ range for par I wouldn't have the power to do so with these fixtures, which seems opposite of everything I've read about them. Not to mention many frags in the past few days have bleached and they are as close to the bottom of the tank as I can get them still on the frag racks. Just doesn't seem to all add up to me. Am I wrong?
I don't think the PAR numbers you reported are all that bad. I think you would be fine keeping SPS with those numbers. The numbers you are getting on the sand are actually quite good! I'm curious who or what gave you the impression that they would be brighter?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the PAR numbers you reported are all that bad. I think you would be fine keeping SPS with those numbers. The numbers you are getting on the sand are actually quite good! I'm curious who or what gave you the impression that they would be brighter?
Oh, I don't think they're bad either, I guess I just anticipated them being higher based on percentages of intensity I'm running. As for why I thought they'd be higher, just based on others' impressions/comments that these lights are powerful and mine are only mounted about 7" or so from the water I thought all in all they'd end up as higher readings. I don't mean to come across as disappointed with the lights, more that I was worried I was wielding the par meter incorrectly. :)

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those numbers are more than high enough. Most SPS will be happy from 200-400. I’d say it looks great. In fact it will be too high for new frags transferred from lower light tanks.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is similar to yours at 72"X24"X24" with 3 LX7s (now 4) about 5" off surface and with the 3 units, I get around 400 Par halfway down at 12" deep. Similar to you. The Acros. higher up and under the center of lights get about 600-650 PAR. Likely too much and leading to photo-inhibition. I will be dropping all the corals down 3-4 " when I get time.

I do have glass tops which rob me of some PAR. FYI- I'm running UVs, hyper-violets at 100%, RBs at 95% and all else at about 67%

My PAR meter is an MQ-200. Note that the 200 and 120 use the original sensor, which likely misses all the UV, a chunk of the hyperviolet and some of the red LEDs on the LX7s. My guess is that you have higher PAR than you are measuring. See links for UW correction factor: https://apogeeinstruments.com/underwater-par-measurements/ and spectral response: https://apogeeinstruments.com/original-quantum-sensor/

Hope that helps, Bob

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bigger so it's readable..

29246804308_f6b6377dde_k.jpg

I will say I'm a little surprised that the numbers you posted aren't higher. I'll try to map my par numbers out similar to yours. I actually just raised my lights a little last week to keep numbers down a bit and reduce shading even more, but I do envision getting more fixtures in a year when things grow in.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I don't think they're bad either, I guess I just anticipated them being higher based on percentages of intensity I'm running. As for why I thought they'd be higher, just based on others' impressions/comments that these lights are powerful and mine are only mounted about 7" or so from the water I thought all in all they'd end up as higher readings. I don't mean to come across as disappointed with the lights, more that I was worried I was wielding the par meter incorrectly. :)

Here is another good link regarding correcting for different light sources: https://apogeeinstruments.com/how-to-correct-for-spectral-errors-of-popular-light-sources/

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your par numbers look good and your stack work isn't that high either. I wonder what my numbers look like, but I have never used a PAR meter even when I had MH's. I just go by how the corals look.
You still have your MH's so you should be able to compare if that is what you desire. You can also use your GHL controller to measure power consumption too, so you can get a good comparison.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your rock work is pretty low. Hitting 350+ in the middle of the tank doesn't seem bad. Can you post the light composer screen to see your led values? I will say my experience with Mitras is that they spread a ton and are not nearly as focused (lack of hot spots) as other LEDs. I've never bleached any acro at all, only LPS.
BRS hasn't tested the LX7206 but I remember seeing the previous gen with similar led clusters and they didnt have as high a par in the center as Radions but more consistent ranges further out from center. Some people may not like that.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the consensus is my numbers look fine. So I’m not going to worry about it.

I corrected/increased my readings off the meter by 15% to compensate for the meter’s lack of ability to read the blue. I was told increase by 10-15%. I did 15 but even at 10 they’re in a fine range.

I kept my rock work low for growing space for sps and also to have the ability to add to it if I need to get something higher or just for more room.

I’m not at my computer to post my project numbers, but when I get back to it I’ll see if I can screenshot it.

However, it is the reefrockerlive project that’s available on the ghl website.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So despite not having super high par values...most all sps have bleached to the point you wouldn't know they are alive if not for some PE..some are extremely white.

Should I reduce intensity of the lights and/or length of the schedule or just ride it out and hope they adjust?

Or could something else be causing the bleaching? Alk is stable around 7.5. Nutrients are non-existent.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back