OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d reduce. Leave the actual schedule as is, and enable the acclimation profile.
I started acclimation. I set my reduction percentage to begin today and then set my end percentage to 100% at the end of the time period I set. Which means, 100% will be back to what it's been running at correct?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. It'll reduce your schedule's intensity by what you set, and ramp up over the number of days you set. In the end, it'll be where you set it, before you started the acclimation profile.

The UV/HV and some of the blues are pretty strong, and don't register really well on some of the par meters. Even our eyes don't register the UV/HV very well, or the blues, the tank seems dim with only those channels but theres plenty of light output.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible I am seeing better PE across the board already just from turning the lights down? Or maybe it's wishful thinking. o_O

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible I am seeing better PE across the board already just from turning the lights down? Or maybe it's wishful thinking. o_O
Totally possible. You were most likely light shocking your corals, hence the color change visible in the corals. Now that lights are turned down, corals are happier, and as the lights turn up over time via the acclimation program, they will slowly get used to it. If the end program you have set is still too strong, not sure... your tank will give you the feedback you'll need.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally possible. You were most likely light shocking your corals, hence the color change visible in the corals. Now that lights are turned down, corals are happier, and as the lights turn up over time via the acclimation program, they will slowly get used to it. If the end program you have set is still too strong, not sure... your tank will give you the feedback you'll need.

Not sure if the end point is too much. Based on par readings, which I realize aren’t wholly accurate due to the lighting source, I should be topping out in the 250-300 par range in most places. That doesn’t seem like it will be too high but, if I see corals regressing back to their current state I’ll know I guess. I’m running the latest project Vinny posted on the FB group, a switch from the ReefRocker one. (I was the one asking how they were different on the FB post.)

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the end point is too much. Based on par readings, which I realize aren’t wholly accurate due to the lighting source, I should be topping out in the 250-300 par range in most places. That doesn’t seem like it will be too high but, if I see corals regressing back to their current state I’ll know I guess. I’m running the latest project Vinny posted on the FB group, a switch from the ReefRocker one. (I was the one asking how they were different on the FB post.)

It doesn't seem too high to me. I'm using the same PAR sensor that you are and I'm getting 600+ for some Acros. high up in the hot spot. They seem happy. On the other hand, most of my corals have been under high PAR DIY LEDs for 2-12 years (no UV or red LEDs). Also, when I started with the LX7s, I did a 2-week acclimation mode and was real careful with the UV channel. I started UV at 20% then worked it up to 100% over 3 months. Do you know what light source and PAR your frags were under previously?

Please keep us updated and good luck!

On another note, I added a 4th LX7 to the center and that helped light under my 2 braces. However, because of the braces, I think I'll need to go with 6 LX7s. Without the braces, 4 lights would be acceptable, 5 would be perfect, but the braces are forcing me to go with 6. Of course, I'll run them at much lower intensities. Coverage should be near perfect.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan how are you liking your Mitras now? Thinking I may grab some with the current sale. 2 for a 120 (48"x24"x24") with the Aquaticlife T5 Hybrid.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan how are you liking your Mitras now? Thinking I may grab some with the current sale. 2 for a 120 (48"x24"x24") with the Aquaticlife T5 Hybrid.
I have that exact setup. It’s a ton of light and everything is happy, probably overkill. Mitras don’t fit flush on the hybrid, fyi.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact setup. It’s a ton of light and everything is happy, probably overkill. Mitras don’t fit flush on the hybrid, fyi.
Do you mean they are thicker than the t5? I currently have the extensions for Ocean Revive Leds, which makes the fixture a total of 24" wide. They do hang lower than the t5 as well, but it doesn't look horrible.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few random shots:

Excuse the microbubbles...
1a02015c05bdee30f8afab3b4ebfe475.jpg

46d7792715c37b3fcc60ea46775ae59d.jpg
a6d0feedc3e931d521f90524131e7af7.jpg
1079c62e147840338958c79ce314a21e.jpg

A nun of something I saved from you @mtraylor
164615372f8aa2c3cc2f08aa29172b47.jpg

3cb644c4731c2d182907c318b151ac3a.jpg
Nice pictures!

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean they are thicker than the t5? I currently have the extensions for Ocean Revive Leds, which makes the fixture a total of 24" wide. They do hang lower than the t5 as well, but it doesn't look horrible.

If you have the wide brackets, then you'll be fine. I was referring to the standard ones. I'm not sure you need to go to Mitras with what you have now though. That's a ton of par in your build thread.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 6 months in on my 220 gallon tank. With 5 Mitras LX7, I'm doing really well with all my acros. In fact, I have an explosion of growth and coralline the last few weeks after I nuked a sudden case of cyano. Turns out the cyano was choking out growth of quite a few things. I see a huge difference now.

I did buy 2 Orphek 90 LED bars to supplement, but they're really not needed yet for me. I'm anticipating shadowing in the future. I'll probably add them to the front and back eventually. For now, I will only add them on one side.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 6300's over my 255 and there are no shadowing issues. Some of my colonies are size of dinner plates. Already got rid of 3 of them.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJoFan
I'm getting ready to make the same switch from (2) 250w DE MH with (4) T5's to (2) LX 7206's.
These are on a standard 120 - 48x24x24
Any updates?
Pictures?
Still running the same project?
How do you like them?

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three years ago almost to the day I switch from (3) 250W SE MH w/ (4) VHO's to (4) Mitras 7206's and now added (2) ReefBrite XHO Blues a few months ago. I was extremely skeptical at first and for the following 1-2 years. But this past year my tank has really turned around for several reasons and the LED lighting is really taking off. May not grow SPS's as fast, but I do love the 12-hour light cycle, which adds different looks from 11am-11pm with the lighting schedule I downloaded and tweaked.

I will never say never. I do miss MH a TON, but I am taking to the LED's at each passing day. I still have my entire MH setup in the event I ever switch back.

My tank dimensions are: 60 x 24 x 29.

Hope this helps.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three years ago almost to the day I switch from (3) 250W SE MH w/ (4) VHO's to (4) Mitras 7206's and now added (2) ReefBrite XHO Blues a few months ago. I was extremely skeptical at first and for the following 1-2 years. But this past year my tank has really turned around for several reasons and the LED lighting is really taking off. May not grow SPS's as fast, but I do love the 12-hour light cycle, which adds different looks from 11am-11pm with the lighting schedule I downloaded and tweaked.

I will never say never. I do miss MH a TON, but I am taking to the LED's at each passing day. I still have my entire MH setup in the event I ever switch back.

My tank dimensions are: 60 x 24 x 29.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that does help. I'm keeping my Giesemann Infinity just in case.

Back