Switching from MH to GHL Mitras

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 LX7206s over my 6ft SPS dominant tank. 24" tall and 24" front to back. Like you, my canopy height places the lights ~3-4" off the water max. I also have 2 top braces at 24" intervals. I have shading under the braces, especially in the back where corals are high. You mention your tank is 30" deep. What is your front to back, 24"? Where are your braces and how are your lights arranged.

The reason I ask, is that I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 ($$$$) more LX7s. If I didn't have the braces or only had one brace, I think 4 LX7s arranged perpendicular to tank length would be great with a 24" depth. I know it seems like overkill, but more LX7s would give me more even lightning, allow me to reduce LED intensity, reduce heat sink temps. and increase LED efficiency and life.

Sorry about the thread hijack KJoFan:), but this seemed to be the place to ask.

Thanks in Advance, mtraylor!

My front to back is 27". I have no braces, my aquarium is rimless. My lights are evenly placed ~6inches apart setting vertically with the displays towards the front of the tank evenly in the middle. The 5th light has really changed the color of some of my corals. I also changed the spectrum to more blue, but the change is pretty drastic in some corals. Getting more colors showing up in some of my large colonies is what I wanted. Now mine are Lx6's so I cant get all the power out of them like you can in the lX7. So you have more power to play with. I started with 3 lx6's when they first came out and I was lacking allot of light and went to 4 immediately. Now Im at 5. LOL. I don't think you will be disappointed if you got 1 or 2 more. You will not have shading issues. With 4 I didn't see any shading issues. I see why you say 6 since it would be easier for you to work around bracing. You could also do 2 in the middle and one on each side of bracing and set corals accordingly and see how it works.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries at all. I’m curious at the responses you’ll get. I’m still a bit worried I’m pounding my tank with too much light. With 4 fixtures over a 5’ length and 24” depth and width running pretty high peak values.

I borrowed a par meter to check but am away on a trip right now so will have to wait to check my values.

I think you are right in the sweet spot.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an example of the color difference in SPS between 4 lights and 5 lights over my aquarium. Now I did change spectrum to a bit bluer, but you will get the picture of what the extra par is doing. So far they are still coloring up for me more.

4 lights
DSC_3099-1.jpg

5 Lights
DSC_3757-2.jpg

Now on the light 5 pic the sps on the left loss the coral war, and I had to restart with a new frag as you can see. Had this happen to several corals. I have to frag more often
to keep this from happening.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see why you say 6 since it would be easier for you to work around bracing. You could also do 2 in the middle and one on each side of bracing and set corals accordingly and see how it works.

Thanks for the input! I think I will try 2 in the middle and one on each side. Also, I'll flip the orientation from parallel to tank length to perpendicular. I don't like the parallel orientation since any fish or coral near the front gets back-lit. I may need to drop the intensity of the middle units to match PAR of the side units. I can also angle the units lightly to get better PAR under the braces. If that doesn't work out, I may go with 5 (2 on each side and 1 middle or even the more symmetrical 6.

Thanks Again, Bob

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right in the sweet spot.

Agreed, you should be fine. I am running UV & hyperviolet at 95%, RB at 85% and all else at 72%. Corals (Acros) 8" directly below the lights look great, fantastic color. I do have glass tops, which reduce PAR, but I keep them clean.

I have a PAR meter and can check PAR later today. However, it is an older Apogee and is relatively insensitive to UV, hyperviolet and even to RB to some degree. When I get some time, i'll report some PAR values with intensities as is and then with only UV or hyperviolet or RB. I'm curious to what the meter reports at the shorter wavelengths.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I think I will try 2 in the middle and one on each side. Also, I'll flip the orientation from parallel to tank length to perpendicular. I don't like the parallel orientation since any fish or coral near the front gets back-lit. I may need to drop the intensity of the middle units to match PAR of the side units. I can also angle the units lightly to get better PAR under the braces. If that doesn't work out, I may go with 5 (2 on each side and 1 middle or even the more symmetrical 6.

Thanks Again, Bob

Np. Yeah let us know how it works. You can always add more. I have a little of the "Tim the tool man Tailer" mentality when it comes to lights. LOL.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the colors on your corals so far. Lets see a couple pics

Mine? Not great. Everything is still small frag size and generally pale. I’ve had zero nutrients since this tank started and I think that’s a big contributor to the lack luster colors.

Colors weren’t great before the light switch either so I’m not blaming the lights.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Well they will color up for you. Oh ok.
Take the slow approach. It will take several months for them to color up. I"m a heavy feeder so nutrients are high for me. Amino acids might be your friend as well.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding has increased slightly which has t made a difference so far. I just need to increase fish load more than anything. Three fish isn’t enough. I’m working on that but it goes slow when you QT. :)

I do add some Reef Roids and a couple other coral foods on occasion but mostly only when I think of it. No set schedule.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0444.jpg
Oh no. Well they will color up for you. Oh ok.
Take the slow approach. It will take several months for them to color up. I"m a heavy feeder so nutrients are high for me. Amino acids might be your friend as well.

I feed heavy too. Although my NO3 always stayed undetectable. I started dosing NaNO3 a few months ago and the corals really colored up once NO3 got to 1-2 ppm. I did replace my DIY LED with the Mistras in February, so that could be part of the reason for color.

I attached 3 tank shots from left to right I have been traveling since early June, so glass is dirty and tank is untrimmed. Also, the tops of some corals are overexposed on iPhone. Still should give you an idea of color.

I did order a 4th LX7 lat week. When it arrives, I'll turn all the LX7s so the control panel faces front. I'll see how that works and if need be, may need a 5th or 6th.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0444.jpg

I feed heavy too. Although my NO3 always stayed undetectable. I started dosing NaNO3 a few months ago and the corals really colored up once NO3 got to 1-2 ppm. I did replace my DIY LED with the Mistras in February, so that could be part of the reason for color.

I attached 3 tank shots from left to right I have been traveling since early June, so glass is dirty and tank is untrimmed. Also, the tops of some corals are overexposed on iPhone. Still should give you an idea of color.

I did order a 4th LX7 lat week. When it arrives, I'll turn all the LX7s so the control panel faces front. I'll see how that works and if need be, may need a 5th or 6th.

Your aquarium looks beautiful! Looks like you have more towards 12k lighting. Its looking great.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bob Stohrer Can you post your light composer info? Also curious what your par values are at. I have 5 Mitras on my 7' x 28" (front to back) x 22" tank. Mine is just getting started though, so I won't have shadowing problems for a long time.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquarium looks beautiful! Looks like you have more towards 12k lighting. Its looking great.

Thanks! It could look a lot better. I need to clean it up quite a bit. You have good color judgment! I'm running at about 12.5k. I really don't like the higher k blues.

My 4th light just shipped. Hope to have it up Friday, assuming it arrives by then.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bob Stohrer Can you post your light composer info? Also curious what your par values are at. I have 5 Mitras on my 7' x 28" (front to back) x 22" tank. Mine is just getting started though, so I won't have shadowing problems for a long time.

Sure. But R2R will not let me upload the Light Composer .lpc file.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back