Switching Salt Brands

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my macro tank in January and I've been using IO salt as I have dine in the past with my first tank almost a decade ago. However, the last two batches have produced brown residue and small white particulates that won't dissolve and I'm not too happy with it. I tried a couple different ways to mix the salt to see if maybe I was doing something wrong. Can IO salt produce nitrates? I've also had a bit of a microalgae bloom since the last water change that I can't figure out the cause of it. Nonetheless,I think it's time I move on to another brand. I've been thinking about Tropic Marin Pro as it seems highly recommended but it also seems very popular and hard to get. I've been looking at Brightwell's NeoMarine Salt and Red Sea's Salt (not the coral pro version, I'd like to keep my alkalinity around 8). So I was just wondering if anyone had any advise/suggestion on what salt I should switch to and if there was a certain procedure to follow when changing the salt. Thanks!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO, and have for many years. So not much help from me, sorry.

Tropic marin is supposed to be good, but is costly, and seems lately it's hard to find. If I was going to switch, I might go for red sea blue bucket since I like to keep my alk on the lower side.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been some reported bad batches of IO having high nitrates. So youre not the first with that issue. I recommend red sea blue bucket. Been using it for a while with great results and it always mixes crystal clear

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been some reported bad batches of IO having high nitrates. So youre not the first with that issue. I recommend red sea blue bucket. Been using it for a while with great results and it always mixes crystal clear
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards Red Sea at the moment.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using TM for years and switched over to Reef Crystals about 2 years ago, same manufacturer as IO, I like the higher Mag content it seems to give, and have seen no real ill effects from the switch. Maybe consider the Reef Crystals, as it is a bit less expensive than the TM.

Back