jaime31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I need a little bit of help.. my tank is in the process of cycling and it’s actually almost done but I want to change the salt before I add my clowns. I started with dead dry rock. I am currently using the tropic Marin pro reef salt but I won’t be having corals for a while because I rather wait until my tank matures and this is why I feel like it’s a waste of money if I’m not planning on having any corals until a few months. Or any coral salt at that. The thing is that I don’t want to interrupt the bacteria and the cycling process. So Will doing a big water change with a different kind of salt slow down the cycling process? Being that there’s nothing in there yet.
THANKS!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why change out the saltwater now if it's simply to save money? Just keep it as is and when you start performing regular water changes, use the new salt.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is also not the reason to use an emergency tag, in the future reserve that for if your tank is leaking, multiple fish dying in a couple of hours, etc. Just stuff that is more of a real emergency.
That being said it doesnt matter if you change salt

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not a problem. A couple of things though-
Make sure salinity matches tank (even +/- 1) and that it isnt a mix that contains higher mad/alk/ca such as reef crystal or red sea pro

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaime31

jaime31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why change out the saltwater now if it's simply to save money? Just keep it as is and when you start performing regular water changes, use the new salt.
Yeah that’s a good idea thanks. I didn’t want to risk shocking the fish after putting them in but that’s definitely a better approach than wasting salt and RODI water. Appreciate it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaime31

jaime31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is also not the reason to use an emergency tag, in the future reserve that for if your tank is leaking, multiple fish dying in a couple of hours, etc. Just stuff that is more of a real emergency.
That being said it doesnt matter if you change salt
Very true and I apologize. using it discredits the ppl that are actually having emergencies. I’m new to this forum thing. I have always read but have never made an account. Thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back