Switching to t-5 ?

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of switching to t-5's.
My current setup is 2-175wt metal halides with 20,000 xm bulbs.
The ballast is a cooltouch.com dual 175wt ballast. I have no idea if this brand is even worthwhile.
I am also running 4-72" vho with coralife bulbs and 2-430 ice cap ballasts.
Every time I mention changing over to strictly t-5's I get the question why? I personally cannot answer that question and my first response is, "so I dont have to run a chiller" other than that and I like the more colors I see out of t-5's.
At this point I am wondering if I should just keep the halides and go with t-5's and do away with the vhos.
I also dont think i have enough light in the tank with just 2-175 wt halides.

This is the unit I have been looking at if I go with strictly t-5's.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...uct_Code=AT-CT57200&Category_Code=Aquactinics

I was also wondering if the HQI bulbs are any better than the Moguls.
Sorry for al, the questions. I just think my tank needs more light than what I have now and want to do it right the first time around, considering the lighting came with the tank when i bought it.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peronal i am switching over to 2x 175x 15k plus some t5's to go with it and a set of 24in pfo parallel reflectors which i jsut picked up from one of my lfs. those Aquactinics are nice lights i will give you that. i am going this way because i am geting the parts one by one. so i am not fork out all my cash at once. i have most the stuff missing a couple things. i also plan on adding a min of 4 140mm computer fans hopping that helps with the heat.

OP
OP
gm333

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the 4-computer fans running plus a tower fan through the back of the tank.
So far this year the warmest the tank has gotten has been 82*F, but that is with the canopy doors open all the time.

storrisch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you seen any reviews as to whether the Aquactinics lights have a decent reflector. As far as I know nothing is better than the IceCap SLR reflectors currently.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back