OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Progress4713

Clown took the swirly swim the other day :cry:. not sure why. did good for 3 or 4 days then bam...Goby is good no signs of stress or disease..So I am going to hold off on anymore fish and work on coloring up the tank with some coral.

Here's a FTS since its been a little while....as you can see the snails have been B.U.S.Y.!!!! The sand is almost completely clear of diatoms and you can see where they have been on the rocks
FTS0215.jpg

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Progress 4713_2

Picked up this coral from the LFS a few days ago. They sold it to me for $25. One is Fire & Ice (at least that's what they sold it as and what it looks like to me) but it also has the green skirt zoa colony on it. I counted about 40 or so polyps on this rock! Any thoughts on what the green one is?
UknZoa0225.jpg

.....bummer this is on there though....
Paly0207.jpg

Oh and its got some coraline on it also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be aiptasia?

looking at some pics now..sure does look like aiptasia...whats the best method for ridding this little bugger?

Last edited:

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use epoxy to kill them. Just get a little ball of it and stick it over it. After a few days, you can take it off or just let the zoas grow over it.

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Luke & Dixie. Super glue did the trick. The polyps right around that area are opening up a lot better too.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Luke & Dixie. Super glue did the trick. The polyps right around that area are opening up a lot better too.

You can also inject them with hot Kalkwasser using a syringe as that will kill them off as well. Inject in the middle of them. Some use lemon juice to kill them by injecting it as well but IME Kalkwasser (hot) will kill them for sure

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes sir! you can t tell from the picture but those darker areas are actually purple! Wife love's em! AND I found a tiny hermit crab inside a dwarf cerith shell...I promply dropped him in the sump for now until I get my new sump built with the 'fuge...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes sir! you can t tell from the picture but those darker areas are actually purple! Wife love's em! AND I found a tiny hermit crab inside a dwarf cerith shell...I promply dropped him in the sump for now until I get my new sump built with the 'fuge...
Yes sometimes how the pics are taken and what lights are used does change the color somewhat and gee Purple, that is real nice indeed.

On the Hermit ... yes keep him in the fuge ... I find them unpredictable so I prefer to keep them out of the display tank too ...

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my mushroom's do not seem very happy where they are right now. Problem is the rock they came on is a little to big to go anywhere else without some rearranging. I have heard that you can get them to drop off by pointing a power head at them. I don't really want to change the flow in the DT as everyone finally seems happy with it (except the 'shrooms). Would it be ok to fill my clean water change bucket (only clean saltwater has been in it) with some saltwater and use my mixing power head to get them to detach? I have read that it only takes a few minutes to get them to drop off. I tried a turkey baster but they outlasted my weak arms LOL!!!!

Also open to other methods of persuasion :bigsmile:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my mushroom's do not seem very happy where they are right now. Problem is the rock they came on is a little to big to go anywhere else without some rearranging. I have heard that you can get them to drop off by pointing a power head at them. I don't really want to change the flow in the DT as everyone finally seems happy with it (except the 'shrooms). Would it be ok to fill my clean water change bucket (only clean saltwater has been in it) with some saltwater and use my mixing power head to get them to detach? I have read that it only takes a few minutes to get them to drop off. I tried a turkey baster but they outlasted my weak arms LOL!!!!

Also open to other methods of persuasion :bigsmile:

Sure you can try that ... it will either work or it will not but more than likely it will ... I usually use a wooden thin rod and push against there base and eventually they come loose too ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. I had read that also.

Yes that works but mind you those mushrooms are real hardy so a blast of water will not hurt them ... I found one of mine in my HOB filter which means it had to get through he intake tube that has very small slits and then through the pump to finally end up caught in the floss ... and even after all of that the S'hroom is doing just fine ... in fact it looks better than ever ... and the large one I have that I added first thew off 8 little ones so far so now I have 9 in various spots in the tank even two growing on a rock in between Palys ...

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 160 gph pump just to mix my saltwater I am going to hit them with. If and when they drop off do I just drop them in the DT and let them find their happy place?

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?

I finally got the flow right in my tank. My Condy had been perturbed with the flow so once adjusted finally attached to the sand near a rock, or so I thought...
walked out into the living room to peek into the tank and see this!!!!

SANY0287.jpg

mind you the Mrs. picked it out!!! Figures:bigsmile:
SANY0288.jpg

The turkey baster saves the day again. Took about 5 minutes of gently pulsing water at the foot to get it detached. Always somethin' huh?:tongue:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the flow right in my tank. My Condy had been perturbed with the flow so once adjusted finally attached to the sand near a rock, or so I thought...
walked out into the living room to peek into the tank and see this!!!!

SANY0287.jpg

mind you the Mrs. picked it out!!! Figures:bigsmile:
SANY0288.jpg

The turkey baster saves the day again. Took about 5 minutes of gently pulsing water at the foot to get it detached. Always somethin' huh?:tongue:

Holding an ice cube against the foot or squirting cold water on the foot will get it to come loose too ...

Back