T5 being phased out?

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them ALL and ran them ALL for a few years each before running to the next big thing. For now im running Kessil 360 and ATI 6 bulb T5 and my growth is insane, my growth credit goes to ATI. The Kessil is only set 5% blue and 5% power so just using the Kessil for the poping blues.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not on the this is better than that band wagon.

That said I have a 17G Nano with a AI Prime led.
Has a good size Rose bubble tip, two Dendros, and some Green star polyps. Doing great and noticeably growing.

My 110G with a hybrid T5 and MH fixture.
I have two Zoas, a blasto, a green hammer, tripple green mushroom, and a Monti.
Honestly this tank has shown little coral growth if any. The Monti is on a slow demise since purchased. In a high flow area and under the MH, so go figure.

Lighting may or may not be the culprit of the lack of growth.
The water colum parameters are very stable on the 110.
Dkh 9.5, Ca 530, Mag 1350. Sal 1.026
As of this past Monday I have started target feeding the corals, and they are looking better, with the exception of the Monti.

The Nano, honestly I have mo idea what the parameters are, like at all.

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not on the this is better than that band wagon.

That said I have a 17G Nano with a AI Prime led.
Has a good size Rose bubble tip, two Dendros, and some Green star polyps. Doing great and noticeably growing.

My 110G with a hybrid T5 and MH fixture.
I have two Zoas, a blasto, a green hammer, tripple green mushroom, and a Monti.
Honestly this tank has shown little coral growth if any. The Monti is on a slow demise since purchased. In a high flow area and under the MH, so go figure.

Lighting may or may not be the culprit of the lack of growth.
The water colum parameters are very stable on the 110.
Dkh 9.5, Ca 530, Mag 1350. Sal 1.026
As of this past Monday I have started target feeding the corals, and they are looking better, with the exception of the Monti.

The Nano, honestly I have mo idea what the parameters are, like at all.

Don’t worry, I have 0 growth recently in my tank either.

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m torn between getting radion xr15 or kessil 360x for my new tank... I’d need 8 of them. And I’m doing 4 80watt t5 bulbs as well.

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One LFS told me that they were clearing out all of their fluorescent stock, they are staying exclusively with LED. However the specialty salt water store still has them, and just brought in new ATI hybrid fixtures. I suspect that the OP's information came about due to his store deciding to not carry them anymore. Good to have an ATI rep on this forum to clarify issues.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One LFS told me that they were clearing out all of their fluorescent stock, they are staying exclusively with LED. However the specialty salt water store still has them, and just brought in new ATI hybrid fixtures. I suspect that the OP's information came about due to his store deciding to not carry them anymore. Good to have an ATI rep on this forum to clarify issues.
We will be stocking them for the foreseeable future.https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/lighting/t5-vho-lamps.html?manufacturer=6980

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heard from some one in my local cloud that ATI blue plus are discontinued and being phased out?
Coralife is discontinuing their floresence t5ho fixtures. They are claiming the government is forcing everybody to led.

I sent an email to them saying I can't find a fixture. The email I got back is they discontinuing them. I questioned why. The response was that the government is forcing everybody to led.

I'll post emails when I get home

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ATI North America i know you can't comment on another company. Not asking you to. Can you shed some light on t5 ho future.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife is discontinuing their floresence t5ho fixtures. They are claiming the government is forcing everybody to led.

I sent an email to them saying I can't find a fixture. The email I got back is they discontinuing them. I questioned why. The response was that the government is forcing everybody to led.

The government is doing no such thing.
Ask them to prove that with facts.

The government is setting energy standards, to be met, not banning manufacturing of fluorescent lamps.
Its there scapegoat answer so they dont get yelled at by the fluorescent lamp customers/ users. Best way to shut down the argument.
Hey its not us its the government.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2019-10-24_18.48.21.jpg
2019-10-24_18.49.47.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is saying that they did not say that... only that they are either incompetent or liars. Perhaps it is just lazy. In any case, it is not true.

The real answer is that their unit sucked and got their ***** kicked by ATI, Giesemann on the high end, or you could get a horto fixture on the low end for less money that was probably even better.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is saying that they did not say that... only that they are either incompetent or liars. Perhaps it is just lazy. In any case, it is not true.

The real answer is that their unit sucked and got their ***** kicked by ATI, Giesemann on the high end, or you could get a horto fixture on the low end for less money that was probably even better.

I'm not saying nobody said they didn't say that. I just wanted to but it out there.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would guess Central Garden and Pet doesn’t want to pay an increasing tariff for a product line they are not leaders on in the market.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess Central Garden and Pet doesn’t want to pay an increasing tariff for a product line they are not leaders on in the market.
I do believe that as well but can help not believe flourescent is being weighed heavily on by the energy department. They did ban incandescent bulbs.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current version of the EPA is not enforcing anything...but others will in the future like they have in the past.

Again, the standards and enforcement are for GENERAL LIGHTING ONLY, not SPECIALTY LIGHTING. The EPA has never had ANYTHING to say about REEF LIGHTING.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back