t5 help.....???? pllleeeasseee

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay i need some opinions on t5 lights.

i have a 90 gallon tank 48" . i currently keep zoos, softies, etc, and would like to also keep some lps.

i want to upgrade to t5s but dont know how much lighting i need? how many daylight bulbs, how many actinic bulbs etc.... i would like a setup that also has the moon bulbs. i want enough lighting to bring out the colors in my zoos, but dont want my tank to look too blue either. also i dont want so much light that my zoos and stuff will be stunted.

and if you have a recommendation of a particular brand and setup that would work for me that would be great.

thanks in advance for all the advice and opinions.

amanda

ryno212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Tek 8 bulb for my 120 and I love it...went from 2x 250MHs... my zoas look great, but my tank is more on the blue side...

CoralGeeks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a 4x54 or 6x54 on a 90g. 8x54 is overkill on a 90g. One of my buddies bleached out all of his Acros with the tek 8 bulb unit, took out 2 bulbs and runs 6 now and its perfect.

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input everyone.

so how many daylight bulbs and how many actinic bulbs do i need? if i go 6 bulbs.

oh and stupid question maybe but what is slrs???

---- amanda

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single Light Reflectors, Not just a big one covering all the bulbs, but each bulb would have its own reflector. I would do 3 day light and 3 atinic.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input everyone.

so how many daylight bulbs and how many actinic bulbs do i need? if i go 6 bulbs.

oh and stupid question maybe but what is slrs???

---- amanda

Amanda,

As far as lighting goes it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you looking for Great coloration with some growth? Or looking for Just color or just growth?
Are you doing a retro or a fixture?

chappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go with one ge 3k bulb it is rediah but you wont believe the color pop it will give
then blues attinic super attinc blue plus
then 2 10k

mcintosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember right now if you are looking at primarily LPS with softies and zoas then the four bulb may be enough. At least if you go 6 bulb Tec or something like that start slowly and keep the unit up high with only 4-6 hours of light per day initially then slowly add a half-hour every week and finally bring the lights slowly down an inch at a time until they are in thier final resting spot.

Some others should comment on bulb choices. Most T-5 tanks start with a base of Blue-Plus, but you have a wide assortment these days.

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input everyone. :) i appreciate it.
i will keep in mind about starting the lights up higher and then moving them down slowly. thanks didnt even know about that.

amanda

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i cant find a 8 bulb nova locally so...... but i did find the 6 bulb nova with lunars. so i was thinking about getting the 6 and see how it looks. i just hope its enough lighting. but from what ive heard sounds like it would be enough??? i guess we'll see. :confused:

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe it is the extreme. i am going today to take a look at it.

amanda

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back