t5 lighting strength

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
I am wondering about my t5 lights. I know these are proven lights when it comes to coral growth. I have made the switch from leds. I have had them on my new 120gal tank since october.
I chose an agro fixture and put in 4 ati bulbs. ( 2 blue plus, 2 coral plus lights)
I know the par will depend on fixture height from the water and I have mine about 8 inches off the water.
I have three questions...

have you ever measured par with them?
is the growth slow and steady or fast?
does it benefit me to add a small amount of led white light as well?
here is a pic...

IMG_20221210_161444021 (1).jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
I am wondering about my t5 lights. I know these are proven lights when it comes to coral growth. I have made the switch from leds. I have had them on my new 120gal tank since october.
I chose an agro fixture and put in 4 ati bulbs. ( 2 blue plus, 2 coral plus lights)
I know the par will depend on fixture height from the water and I have mine about 8 inches off the water.
I have three questions...

have you ever measured par with them?
is the growth slow and steady or fast?
does it benefit me to add a small amount of led white light as well?
here is a pic...

IMG_20221210_161444021 (1).jpg
Although you only have 4 bulbs over the tank it should provide enough light .
I have 8 bulb fixture over my 230 gal
I have posted asking the exact same
Question over the years and the only answer I get every time is you have plenty of par and no need to test .
my 8 bulbs are 6” off the water
But my tank is also 27” deep
Mine is also a 48” fixture over the 72” length
I have minimal shadowing at the ends but I’m ok with it .

Upvote 0

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 bulb is adequate for soft corals....

6 bulb is for mixed reef, softies down, lps middle, some sps on top.

8 or more bulb is for everyrhing, the more the merrier, realy dont know amything that wont grow under 10 or 12 t5 bulbs...

Mounting height depends on number of bulbs. The more the bulbs, par is increased, so, it can be mounted higher, with some to enormous light spill.

4 bulb 7-8" above is optimal for spread, par and light spill.

But, 6 bulb is sweet spot...

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 bulb is adequate for soft corals....

6 bulb is for mixed reef, softies down, lps middle, some sps on top.

8 or more bulb is for everyrhing, the more the merrier, realy dont know amything that wont grow under 10 or 12 t5 bulbs...

Mounting height depends on number of bulbs. The more the bulbs, par is increased, so, it can be mounted higher, with some to enormous light spill.

4 bulb 7-8" above is optimal for spread, par and light spill.

But, 6 bulb is sweet spot...
I have had success in the passed with the ability to grow anything under 8 bulbs but have always thought a way to calculate par without a meter .

Upvote 0

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the ATI 8 bulb fixture for many years without any issues in performance. There really is no need for a par meter following this video.

I have the 8 bulb (4 x ATI Blue Plus, 2x ATI Actinic, 2x Coral Plus) for years and growth and coverage are excellent. I never went over 75% output ramped up on both channels. Results are very much described in the link below. I did switch the 2 Coral Plus for Aqua Blue Special and Purple Plus, to soft whites a bit.

I did see a few stop using actinic channel and use LED actinic strips mounted to the sides for better actinic pop. I collect bulbs in a carbboard tube for recycling when full and that takes years. I do see a drop off in color after a year but bulbs can be run for two years easily in most cases, especially with the 8 bulb ATI lamp and reflectors.

ATI in general has great products. I am confused where the LED panel is marketed.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back