Talbot damsel questions.

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago, I made a thread asking this about damsels, specifically two members of chrysiptera (Rollands or Azure):
I currently have a pair of clowns and a pair of chromis, as well as a lawnmower blenny and shrimp/goby combo. The goby and blenny can hold their own but I’m worried the other fish will fight new arrivals, since they are also damsels.
I’ve done more research and I’ve become attached to the talbot damsel. Will they fight with a new damsel? How compatible are chromis and the talbots? Also: should I keep a small group like a trio or duo, or am I better off with one? It’s a 75 gallon mixed reef.

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer you're likely to hear is, I don't know or it depends. Damsels in general are aggressive for their size. I have a Talbot, two yellowtail damsels and a clown in my tank (Reefer525XL) with a slew of other larger and more aggressive fish such as wrasses, tangs, and a trigger. I have found that my damsels picked a 10" x 10" spot on the reef and tend to stay there. Fortunately the yellowtails and Talbot picked opposite sides of the tank. Occasionally, they will get too close and when that happens they fight.

Few other things that tend to affect compatibility:
- Size of the tank. You have a 4 footer so there's room for them to remain naturally separated.
- Size of the Damsel. In my experience a larger one will pick on a smaller one. Equal size is probably best.
- Number of other fish. Again in my experience with multiple damsels or even tangs, the more you can disperse their aggression and attention the better. Having other "targets" swimming by tends to provide distraction and limits aggression.
- Size of other fish. The damsels leave larger fish alone. They also generally ignore the sand dwellers.
- Feeding. If they're fed enough there might not be the urge to fight for food.

I also have a Domino in my sump. He was in a second tank of mine with a larger clownfish. They two would fight non stop. He's still in the sump because I know once he goes into the display the odds are slim that I would be able to get him out if I had to. I would urge you to sleep on it a few nights. How attached are you to the other fish? Can you accommodate multiple small feedings per day? What is your ultimate stocking plan? Can you pull rockwork out if you need to remove the fish? In general I dislike adding fish because it disrupts the equilibrium that's been established, as a result I tend to give it a real good thinking before making additions.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately all situations are different. The chrysiptera damsels are much less aggressive than other genus, and talbot are on the less aggressive end of that genus. I have five in my tank and they are the meekest fish I have. Always best to keep a group IME.

Reef Stallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Starkie, 2 Talbots and 2 Rollands in my 4 foot tank. The most important part is the rockwork. You need lots of caves. I also think its important to have height on the rockwork since they pick a cave and defend it. Some pick a lower cave and some a higher cave. Some in the front and some more the back. So basically, they want their own room at the resort! They bicker and fight from time to time but they get along well. I like them because they are always active and beautiful and keep the tank interesting to watch. I also built my tank as a more aggressive tank though with PBT and Purple tang for what it's worth.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal gramma, two clowns and a yellow tail damsel currently in a 40 breeder/20 gal sump. Would it be ok to add two talbot damsels or should I go with one?

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 talbots for about 3 years , when they are young they are not very territorial , even when they try the wrasses I had would put them in their space. as they got older they staked out opposite ends of the tank. ( I am thinking they were both the same sex) The only problem is if there is a sick or disoriented fish going to their area .I think they are one of the better damsels. in my new tank I have 5 starkies. They are small and get bullied by the chromis but lets see what happens when they grow up ..lol

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first talbot I had was a model citizen. It never bothered anyone. Fast forward a few years and a new tank I got two of them. Each one staked out territory on either side of the tank. One was extremely territorial and would chase all fish away. I was able to catch him and got rid of him. The remaining one turned into a sand bulldozer. It constantly pushed sand from inside the rock work out and all around the corals. Any loose corals would usually end up turned over and occasionally moved across the tank! When I moved I got rid of him too.

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes. That sand thing is true. They move sand with their tails god knows for what. so if you have corals in sandbed they will ruin them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back