OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between a 125 gallon and a 180 gallon tank is the tank depth, right? How will that benefit me more with my sailfin?
Fish like the long swimming but the depth adds more overall space to swim, pretty dramatically. I’ve had both. It also adds water to dilute the nutrients (poop) more.

Tangs do prefer longer swimming mentioned but even more than that they just love space to swim.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thanks for the explanation. If I were to upgrade, could I add an achilles to the tank with the sailfin? The sailfin is pretty territorial.
As a stand-alone addition, it’s risky. A sole tang is used to defending his territory successfully against other similarly shaped herbivores. This is why adding 2-3 at a time can spread aggression.

Sailfin usually don’t “hold grudges” for more than a few day, but a lot of damage can be done by then to what is a very sensitive fish.

If you haven’t quarantined your existing fish, don’t worry about ever adding an Achilles because it will definitely die and give the parasites an east host that they can proliferate and risks all of your existing resistant fish as well.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our little Lt Dan is growing so fast! lol. He was the size of the Coral Beauty a month ago.
lt tang july 9.jpg

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the 2 yellow tangs seem to have figured things out now. It helps that the smaller one has caught up to the larger one size wise. We don't even seen them fight anymore. Every now and then they will chase each other for a second if one tries to go in a hiding spot the other is already in but that's it.
I wonder if initially having 3 yellow's and the smallest one (who got beat up pretty bad in QT) dying early on made a difference in the two we have now getting along? Maybe that combined with them QTing together plus having more decent sized, active fish in the tank now?
Thanks for all the tips and help @4FordFamily

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a stand-alone addition, it’s risky. A sole tang is used to defending his territory successfully against other similarly shaped herbivores. This is why adding 2-3 at a time can spread aggression.

Sailfin usually don’t “hold grudges” for more than a few day, but a lot of damage can be done by then to what is a very sensitive fish.

If you haven’t quarantined your existing fish, don’t worry about ever adding an Achilles because it will definitely die and give the parasites an east host that they can proliferate and risks all of your existing resistant fish as well.

Our sailfin just turned into such a bully, I'm glad we wound up re-homing him. He actually killed another tang in his temp home before being moved to an 800 gallon tank. I wonder if it was because when we had him, we really only had him and the foxface without any other large, active fish. Maybe he just got in his head early on that he was the boss...

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out what to go with next in our tank. I still love, LOVE PBTs and we are "owed" one but I really hesitate because of their reputation of being able to hold grudges. Right now everyone is getting along well and we just added a CBB who I absolutely do not want to stress. Might have to hold off on any more Tangs and do some smaller, peaceful schooling fish.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out what to go with next in our tank. I still love, LOVE PBTs and we are "owed" one but I really hesitate because of their reputation of being able to hold grudges. Right now everyone is getting along well and we just added a CBB who I absolutely do not want to stress. Might have to hold off on any more Tangs and do some smaller, peaceful schooling fish.
I too love PBT, but gosh they can be a bear... they often don't work out well with CBB due to their aggressive nature and the tendency of CBB to "stop feeding" in response to bullying, competition for food, or stress. But SOME have done it successfully, of course.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too love PBT, but gosh they can be a bear... they often don't work out well with CBB due to their aggressive nature and the tendency of CBB to "stop feeding" in response to bullying, competition for food, or stress. But SOME have done it successfully, of course.

Yea thats what I'm mostly worried about. Maybe down the road if we go even bigger. I like the CBB and it serves a great function. PBT while pretty, isn't thatttt much prettier than our Lt Tang who seems to be getting along great with everyone for now.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I just got offered a small (3-4") Vlamingi Tang that's been QTd and is eating at a crazy deal. Unfortunately I know that guy would outgrow our 180 in 2 years at best most likely. Gonna have to pass on it, but man I want one if we ever upgrade again. A good friend of mine has had a couple that when we've went over their house, the Vlamingi's were dang near like dogs, they would swim to the top of the water level and let you "pet" them lol.
Also offered me a flame/tomini.. that might be worth considering. They stay pretty small and are some of the more peaceful tangs right?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I just got offered a small (3-4") Vlamingi Tang that's been QTd and is eating at a crazy deal. Unfortunately I know that guy would outgrow our 180 in 2 years at best most likely. Gonna have to pass on it, but man I want one if we ever upgrade again. A good friend of mine has had a couple that when we've went over their house, the Vlamingi's were dang near like dogs, they would swim to the top of the water level and let you "pet" them lol.
Also offered me a flame/tomini.. that might be worth considering. They stay pretty small and are some of the more peaceful tangs right?
Tomini are more peaceful. Vlamingi to me, are SUCH highly filthy fish and relatively drab that my shallow approach to reef keeping has kept them out of even my very large systems. I DO admit they have neat personalities - of course, MANY disagree with me.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini are more peaceful. Vlamingi to me, are SUCH highly filthy fish and relatively drab that my shallow approach to reef keeping has kept them out of even my very large systems. I DO admit they have neat personalities - of course, MANY disagree with me.

Yea aside from their size, the amount of waste they produce is keeping us from it. Of course it's possible the wife vetoes me haha.

Now if I had a like 15 foot long, thousands of gallons tank, that would be different.

foxxkb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, purple, blue, and a kole tang. In a 180 gal, 72x24x25. Thinking of adding 2 more zebrasomas at the same time. Would that work? Or any other tang suggestions? The other fish in there are: 3 flasher wrasses, 3 fairy wrasses, Yellow coris wrass, pair of clowns, watchman goby, clown goby, a yellow head jawfish and a lawnmower blenny. Am I at capacity? Thanks

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The wife came home with the Flame and Vlamingi lol. Waste wise, I'm not too worried. We really have our skimmer and media reactor dialed in right now and the skimmer is rated at like 300 gallons heavy bio load (reef octo elite 220s). Also just added a 40 watt AquaUV.
Size wise, well that means when we buy a house next year I can plan for my upgrade cause no way shes gonna wanna get rid of the guy by then lol.
So far everyone is getting along. The Lt is trying to boss the others around but I imagine that will change when the Vlamingi outgrows him lol.
I'm really surprised at how well the 2 yellows are getting along now (knocks on wood).

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, purple, blue, and a kole tang. In a 180 gal, 72x24x25. Thinking of adding 2 more zebrasomas at the same time. Would that work? Or any other tang suggestions? The other fish in there are: 3 flasher wrasses, 3 fairy wrasses, Yellow coris wrass, pair of clowns, watchman goby, clown goby, a yellow head jawfish and a lawnmower blenny. Am I at capacity? Thanks
You are pushing it with bioload though I always push it as well. It could work, it’s always difficult to know. Purple and Kole can be particularly territorial. Add just before the lights turn off at night (10 minutes) And after a feeding (30 min or so) so they recognize the new fish in the AM and everyone has rested up.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are pushing it with bioload though I always push it as well. It could work, it’s always difficult to know. Purple and Kole can be particularly territorial. Add just before the lights turn off at night (10 minutes) And after a feeding (30 min or so) so they recognize the new fish in the AM and everyone has rested up.

@foxxkb we followed 4ford's advice on all the tangs we added and it has worked out great.

foxxkb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buddy,
Size wise, should the new fish be smaller or bigger than the current tangs to limit aggression?

Mareshow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in a bit of a conundrum. The tank is a 750 gallon (lets call it the , its still a bit fresh (two months old) and current Tang stock is:

2 Blond Naso (1 5", 1 3.5")
1 Sail fin (3")
1 Lieutenant (2.5")
1 Blue tang (2")

the Nasos were in first (fish stock here in canada is pretty abysmal currently)
followed by the sail fin
then the lieutenant and blue

The dominant fish is the larger Naso but he often concedes to the sail fin.

was supposed to have a PBT with the blue and Lieutenant but it jumped out of the LFS tank while being collected and didn't make it :(

So here's my issue, I have 3 yellows coming in, another PBT, eventually an Achilles, Fowleri, 3 purple, and maybe a few others.

But I have a Sohal thats available (~3") (super rare to get here, especially right now) that I would LOVE to have, but the issue is I'm concerned about aggression. I have 40 gallons QTs for them, do you guys think that adding any of the other tangs after the Sohal is going to be an issue? I do plan on adding them in groups after the fact.

Currently the aggression in the tank is very minor, a little bit of chasing, the blue tang has attitude lol, takes them all on even though it's the smallest.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buddy,
Size wise, should the new fish be smaller or bigger than the current tangs to limit aggression?
Bigger for aggression, ideally

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back