Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, that sand was basically flat from front of the tank to back before he did this. And now, under that rock, its bare to the eggcrate lol

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, that sand was basically flat from front of the tank to back before he did this. And now, under that rock, its bare to the eggcrate lol
That's funny, what a silly fish

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much you can do, but live brine is my go to for tangs that won't eat. If he arrived as rough as it looks (upside down), it isn't surprising that the fish isn't feeling well enough to eat. Ensure there's no ammonia in the tank, and I agree, given that he's got some meat on his bones so to speak, you have some time. There really isn't an emergency protocol though, you cannot force them to eat -- not without doing more harm than good. But try live brine... a small amount initially. That seems to trigger feeding response, in addition to rubber banding nori on a rock (to mimic natural feeding on algae off of rocks in the wild).
I had started him off with 1.00ppm Copper and have been bringing it up to therapeutic levels since Sunday; I also started dosing Metro into the water column. Will these two separately or in conjunction hurt his feeding response? Should I stop dosing Metro and stop and/or back off the Copper with a WC?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had started him off with 1.00ppm Copper and have been bringing it up to therapeutic levels since Sunday; I also started dosing Metro into the water column. Will these two separately or in conjunction hurt his feeding response? Should I stop dosing Metro and stop and/or back off the Copper with a WC?
I don't find that most zebrasoma are too sensitive to either one. COULD it be a factor? yes. I'd stay the course, personally.

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much you can do, but live brine is my go to for tangs that won't eat. If he arrived as rough as it looks (upside down), it isn't surprising that the fish isn't feeling well enough to eat. Ensure there's no ammonia in the tank, and I agree, given that he's got some meat on his bones so to speak, you have some time. There really isn't an emergency protocol though, you cannot force them to eat -- not without doing more harm than good. But try live brine... a small amount initially. That seems to trigger feeding response, in addition to rubber banding nori on a rock (to mimic natural feeding on algae off of rocks in the wild).
Where can I get live brine shrimp?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many pet stores sell it, I think you can order online but you'll pay a good bit for shipping.
So my Yellow Tang, after 7 days is FINALLY starting to at least show interest in food. Mostly, he's trying the frozen mysis and the algae soaked in garlic and shredded to small pieces.

However, after he eats some bites, I notice he seems to be spitting out everything (or possibly most) of what he's ingested. He's done that now twice. Has anyone had this experience? Is this normal until he gets used to eating again since it's been a while? His stomach is now indented since he hasn't eaten, so I wonder if his system just can't handle it?

I'm wondering if it can also potentially be something with worms/parasites internally? He's in Copper now so I haven't treated for internal worms/parasites/etc.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Yellow Tang, after 7 days is FINALLY starting to at least show interest in food. Mostly, he's trying the frozen mysis and the algae soaked in garlic and shredded to small pieces.

However, after he eats some bites, I notice he seems to be spitting out everything (or possibly most) of what he's ingested. He's done that now twice. Has anyone had this experience? Is this normal until he gets used to eating again since it's been a while? His stomach is now indented since he hasn't eaten, so I wonder if his system just can't handle it?

I'm wondering if it can also potentially be something with worms/parasites internally? He's in Copper now so I haven't treated for internal worms/parasites/etc.
Fish and tangs often exhibit this behavior they test it out and “crunch” it a bit or break it up by doing this and then eat it again. Interest is good, hopefully feeding interest increases. That’s why I like live brine - it’s so small and moves and the fish can ingest while interested immediately.

Try spiralina brine if you still haven’t found live brine. It is smaller.

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and tangs often exhibit this behavior they test it out and “crunch” it a bit or break it up by doing this and then eat it again. Interest is good, hopefully feeding interest increases. That’s why I like live brine - it’s so small and moves and the fish can ingest while interested immediately.

Try spiralina brine if you still haven’t found live brine. It is smaller.
The Yellow Tang is now eating frozen Mysis and I believe he will make it through QT. I anticipate he will be ready for the DT beginning of November.

However, my original plan of adding 3 Zebrasomas at once ie. Sailfin, Purple and Yellow is now unachievable as the Sailfin and Purple got Velvet while in QT and unfortunately did not make it.

I am still considering purchasing a Purple and possibly another Zebrasoma ie. Sailfin, BUT, how would their introduction into the DT go after the Yellow has been there for potentially several months?

The Yellow is large 5". Since Purples are more aggressive than Yellows, would a smaller ie. 4" Purple be better with the large Yellow?

And likewise, I assume the Sailfin, since he's typically less aggressive than the Yellow or Purple, would be better to go larger with him?

OR another option would be to go with a Hippo Tang BEFORE adding in any additional Zebrasomas. Would this help with the eventual addition of Zebrasomas?

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoooweeee. Just dropped a yellow tang in with my PBT and it was carnage. The PBT is going on timeout in the QT for a few days. I'll see if he behaves after that.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Tang is now eating frozen Mysis and I believe he will make it through QT. I anticipate he will be ready for the DT beginning of November.

However, my original plan of adding 3 Zebrasomas at once ie. Sailfin, Purple and Yellow is now unachievable as the Sailfin and Purple got Velvet while in QT and unfortunately did not make it.

I am still considering purchasing a Purple and possibly another Zebrasoma ie. Sailfin, BUT, how would their introduction into the DT go after the Yellow has been there for potentially several months?

The Yellow is large 5". Since Purples are more aggressive than Yellows, would a smaller ie. 4" Purple be better with the large Yellow?

And likewise, I assume the Sailfin, since he's typically less aggressive than the Yellow or Purple, would be better to go larger with him?

OR another option would be to go with a Hippo Tang BEFORE adding in any additional Zebrasomas. Would this help with the eventual addition of Zebrasomas?
If adding multiples, it would probably be fine.

gearhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a red sea 750 xxl it has two anthias 1 wrasse 1 pbt 1 purple tang 3 green Chromis and two cardinals. I have a 120 gallon that has a long nose black tang and a bar code tang together they are about 5-6 inches and the bar code is the boss. I am having nightmares about moving those two fish over to the 750xxl. Should I just put them right in or hang on box? The purple tang is the boss in the 750 but the pbt will stand its ground and chase fish around a little. My feeling is the purple and the bar code are going to have it out due to their nature. Any suggestions, please?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a red sea 750 xxl it has two anthias 1 wrasse 1 pbt 1 purple tang 3 green Chromis and two cardinals. I have a 120 gallon that has a long nose black tang and a bar code tang together they are about 5-6 inches and the bar code is the boss. I am having nightmares about moving those two fish over to the 750xxl. Should I just put them right in or hang on box? The purple tang is the boss in the 750 but the pbt will stand its ground and chase fish around a little. My feeling is the purple and the bar code are going to have it out due to their nature. Any suggestions, please?
The gem tang (bar code variant) tang will be in new territory. With 2 tangs added concurrently, the odds of this not being too problematic are higher. Yes, they're both zebrasoma tangs, but in my experience zebrasoma tangs don't aggressively pursue new additions nearly as long as some of the acanthurus tangs like PBT. I'd be more worried about that, but still not too concerned. Of course, they're individual animals so their personalities differ, and so many factors at play that success is never guaranteed. However, I'd not fret too much with this, I think you'll be fine.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily if you had a chance to add a healthy, QTd blue throat trigger and/or blue hippo tang to our current line up would you do one, both, neither? I should say I'd be getting the fish in return for trading some physical labor to the guy that currently orders all our livestock for us.
I don’t have any experience with triggers so I don't know how they'd get along with our current lineup.

gearhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gem tang (bar code variant) tang will be in new territory. With 2 tangs added concurrently, the odds of this not being too problematic are higher. Yes, they're both zebrasoma tangs, but in my experience zebrasoma tangs don't aggressively pursue new additions nearly as long as some of the acanthurus tangs like PBT. I'd be more worried about that, but still not too concerned. Of course, they're individual animals so their personalities differ, and so many factors at play that success is never guaranteed. However, I'd not fret too much with this, I think you'll be fine.
Thankyou the good thing is that the PBT is small only 3 inches or so and the purple is boss in the 750. Also, would you just put them right in the tank without a timeout box? both tanks are on the same automated water change vats in the basement and parameters are the same so no worry there.

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an 8ft (approx 475 gal) tank. I’m looking to build my tang gang. I want a blue hippo, black longnose, purple, +/- desjardini and aberrant koi scopas. I would also like an Achilles and/or powder blue.

My local guy thinks adding the hippo, scopas zebraoma first, then adding acanthurus later is best approach. I know there are varying ideas. Some say add all at same time. Looking for any advice. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily if you had a chance to add a healthy, QTd blue throat trigger and/or blue hippo tang to our current line up would you do one, both, neither? I should say I'd be getting the fish in return for trading some physical labor to the guy that currently orders all our livestock for us.
I don’t have any experience with triggers so I don't know how they'd get along with our current lineup.

I'd vote either, trigger should be fine if you don't have a lot of inverts.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou the good thing is that the PBT is small only 3 inches or so and the purple is boss in the 750. Also, would you just put them right in the tank without a timeout box? both tanks are on the same automated water change vats in the basement and parameters are the same so no worry there.

You could do that, an acclimation box increases your odds of success but I am not overly worried about the scenario. Your call, some would argue correctly that being safe is better than being sorry. I am not sure I'd buy one just for that purpose, however. That's where I would personally draw the line.

I am setting up an 8ft (approx 475 gal) tank. I’m looking to build my tang gang. I want a blue hippo, black longnose, purple, +/- desjardini and aberrant koi scopas. I would also like an Achilles and/or powder blue.

My local guy thinks adding the hippo, scopas zebraoma first, then adding acanthurus later is best approach. I know there are varying ideas. Some say add all at same time. Looking for any advice. Thanks in advance.

I think this could work, perhaps all of them. Regarding the two acanthurus, if you wish to add them, I'd add them with other tangs also. You might 2 3 zebrasoma, then add another 1 or 2 tangs with the acanthurus if you wish to try both.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote either, trigger should be fine if you don't have a lot of inverts.

We have a lot of snails, not many hermits (which i wouldn't care if they disappeared lol. They always attack my snails.) 2 peppermint shrimp that I've seen like twice in 6 months lol. I'd hate to lose a lot of the snails, I love having a bunch to help keep the tank clean.
I wonder if adding both would be too much at this point. I know blue hippos can get pretty big and we already have two yellows, lt, vlaminigi, magnificent foxface which are all pretty good size. The new landscape i did does offer lots of swimming room and hiding places though.
20201019_102522.jpg
20201019_102550.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back