tang aggression

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I screwed up and didn't think about adding more than 1 tang to my tank to even out the aggression with the yellow eye cole tang. it has been non stop aggression since monday. the other tanf hides in it's own cave that i made for it. the kole tand figured out how to get in to the cave some time today while I was at work. I decided to try printing out a 11 x 14 picture of a tang and tape it to the front of the tank. sure enough I think the kole tang is scared to death now. it won't come out of it's cave.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the mirror trick a few times never worked for me. What I found does work is turning the lights completely off. Seems to calm them down. Give it a few days regardless there will be fighting initially. If it doesn't stop or gets real bad then you know you have a issue.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole, and what is the other species of tang? How big is the tank?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took out the powder brown tang and put him in another 40 breeder temp. getting ready to upgrade to a 125 tank and then i'll put him back and will get another tang to put in the tank to even out the aggression with the kole tang.

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took out the powder brown tang and put him in another 40 breeder temp. getting ready to upgrade to a 125 tank and then i'll put him back and will get another tang to put in the tank to even out the aggression with the kole tang.

Not sure what size the tank is currently but its probably an issue. Sounds like you would be better off in the 125. Tangs usually play pretty nicely as long as they are from different families and you have enough room.

There is always more aggression initially when introducing new fish and it tends to die down over time.

Good luck with the upgrade!!

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what size the tank is currently but its probably an issue. Sounds like you would be better off in the 125. Tangs usually play pretty nicely as long as they are from different families and you have enough room.

There is always more aggression initially when introducing new fish and it tends to die down over time.

Good luck with the upgrade!!
I've found that acanthurus tangs love extremely high flow. Aside from living in areas of high current on the reefs, with the limited amount of space you have in your holding tank, a lot of flow will act similar to those never ending home exercise pools. I held a powder blue tang for 6 moths in a 29 gallon that way until he was transferred to my display.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back