Tang aggression

WhenKeepinItReefGoesWrong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently added 2 juvenile Biota Yellow tangs to my tank (180 gallon) about 2 weeks ago. In the last few days one of them has become aggressive towards the other and I think it's best to re-home one. I noticed a small spot missing on the fin of the one getting bullied. My question is which tang should I rehome, the one getting bullied or the one doing the bullying?

The bully seems completely fine with the other inhabitants. I do plan to add a bristletooth tang in the near future, but that is at least a different shaped tang.

Thanks

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the mirror trick before rehoming… tape a mirror to your glass and the bully will most likely try to beat himself up instead of the other tang in the tank. That might help ease the tension

OP
OP
W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the mirror trick before rehoming… tape a mirror to your glass and the bully will most likely try to beat himself up instead of the other tang in the tank. That might help ease the tension
I did give that a try with no luck unfortunately. The mirror has been up for a few days and it hasn't made a noticeable impact.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the aggressor, even if the next tang is a different body shape he will still give it hell unfortunately. Also it’s best not to stress the bullied too much more.

OP
OP
W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I ended up netting the aggressive tang and moving him down into my refugium for 4 days, then reintroducing him to the display tank. There was a bit of uncertainty between him and the tang he had been bullying previously for a few hours, but then everything seemed to clear up and they don't appear to have any issues. This was about a week ago and they actually seem to be friends now constantly hanging out and eating together without any signs of aggression. I'm going to keep a close eye on them since I know it could revert back to aggression, but I'm extremely happy with how it has turned out so far. Thanks to everyone who commented with advice!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back