Tang group and questions

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are heading to the LFS later today. We have a 180g DT and right now the only tang similar fish is a yellow foxface. My wife wants a group of 4 tangs. Based on what they have in stock and what I've researched on species, I have a list. I've read it's best to get all at once and of different species. So they have a Blue hippo, Yellow, Bristle Tomini and Half black mimic. Does this sound like a group that would work out ?

My other concern is quarantining. We have a 55g set up and running with two small cardinals and small dottyback. It only has a few large rocks, not aquascaped like the DT. Should I put the tangs in the QT first or would having them all in a 55 just cause more problems ? I also plan to ask the LFS how long they have had them which could affect the need to QT.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those would be fine together.
I have not seen the famous tang aggression in my tank in general. Only when I add a new one and I may have found a way around that too.
I have clown, tomini, orange stripe and sailfin right now. There is a foxface in my tank too.
I dont QT so I cant help you with that.

Dottybacks are beautiful. So are damsels. I will never have another of either.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had a black mimic tang, but I’ve had the others and many more tangs together in my S650 which is about the same size. I’ve also had a foxface

It does depend on the individual fish but you should be fine

I don’t QT so someone else can maybe offer advice there

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the dimensions of the QT?

I think the risk of adding all into the display far outweigh the risk of aggression in the QT and id personally go into the QT - Even if its on limited time for observation only. Make sure their are plenty of hiding places in the form of PVC pipe and have some egg crate on hand to split the tank into 2 - 3 sections if aggression prevails.

I dont see anything wrong with the choice of surgeons together and shouldnt cause an issue past the hierachy.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are heading to the LFS later today. We have a 180g DT and right now the only tang similar fish is a yellow foxface. My wife wants a group of 4 tangs. Based on what they have in stock and what I've researched on species, I have a list. I've read it's best to get all at once and of different species. So they have a Blue hippo, Yellow, Bristle Tomini and Half black mimic. Does this sound like a group that would work out ?

My other concern is quarantining. We have a 55g set up and running with two small cardinals and small dottyback. It only has a few large rocks, not aquascaped like the DT. Should I put the tangs in the QT first or would having them all in a 55 just cause more problems ? I also plan to ask the LFS how long they have had them which could affect the need to QT.
If they’re all in the same tank at LFS, probably good to go. If they’re not, I would think quarantining them separately would be advised.

Everyone finds their territory and gets along in my tank but something as simple as moving or adding a rock can throw off the dynamic.

My Foxface fought with my vlamingi for the about 10 minutes. My damsel fought with my Powder Blue for 15 minutes as well. Then they were fine.

I don’t have a deep tank but I do have a long tank so there are plenty of places horizontally for fish to call their own.

These animals are undoubtedly stressed and could probably benefit from some time alone before being moved into a tank with other fish, high flow, high light, etc.

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the dimensions of the QT?

I think the risk of adding all into the display far outweigh the risk of aggression in the QT and id personally go into the QT - Even if its on limited time for observation only. Make sure their are plenty of hiding places in the form of PVC pipe and have some egg crate on hand to split the tank into 2 - 3 sections if aggression prevails.

I dont see anything wrong with the choice of surgeons together and shouldnt cause an issue past the hierachy.
Standard 4 foot 55G

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 4 foot 55G
I dont think the size will cause you an issue in that case, as long as they are your average small sized new fish - The eggcrate if possible can be a great tool in a quarantine that size though.

Youll be able to speerate the tank into sections essentially giving you a few smaller QT themselves in case its needed with aggression.

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the size will cause you an issue in that case, as long as they are your average small sized new fish - The eggcrate if possible can be a great tool in a quarantine that size though.

Youll be able to speerate the tank into sections essentially giving you a few smaller QT themselves in case its needed with aggression.
I do have eggcrate on hand if needed. Thanks

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd update this with another question. The ones at the LFS didn't work out since some were too large. We ended up getting a captive bred yellow from Biota and Bristletooth, Blue Hippo and Convict from Saltwater fish. Unfortunately the Convict came extremely emaciated and only made it 24hrs. Everyone else is fine so far and getting along in the 55g. I've since read the Convicts can be challenging due to not eating. So I have been looking at a possible replacement. I've seen an Orange Shoulder that would go with my idea of keeping different species. Would that be a good choice or should we just cut our losses and stay with the three ?

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all from different genera, and typically don't fight. Mixing multiple Acanthurus sp. is where the aggression usually comes from.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 3.5"+ orange shoulder from saltwaterfish and put it through QT. It's in my main 350 with the fowleri and they are dang hogs and get along just fine

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. Orange Shoulder just got delivered DOA. I told my wife that maybe someone is trying to tell us something. I'm thinking we would should just stick with the three we have that appear healthy and not trying to kill each other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back