Tang ID

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
So earlier today I got some assistance identifying what variety of clam I have. Now it is time to seek assistance on a tang my wife brought home.

The tang was brought in from a guy keeping it in a 75gal and believed it was a Freckle Face Tang (Maculiceps Tang) which is one of her favorites, but the more week look at it we think it may actually be a Ctenocheatus and not an Acanthurus.

IMG_20170206_162041.jpg
IMG_20170206_162238.jpg

It is currently in a 125 but we have plans to expand to a larger tank in the hopefully soon future. He is currently our only tang.

Opinions?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
he looks like a kole tang except for the yellow eye... he's in the same family or so he looks as all the bristle tooth tangs

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
It does look like an Acanthurus coeruleus, Blue Caribbean Tang.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
It does look like an Acanthurus coeruleus, Blue Caribbean Tang.
Thank you for the suggestions so far.

We are still going back and forth between the A. Maculiceps and a color variation of a Kole tang. The main reason for debate is while educated, we are having trouble determining whether it is an Acanthurus or Ctenocheatus.

It came in to the store as an owner return and he couldn't remember what it is.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't know A. maculiceps well, but there is one Ctenochaetus you might take a look at; The orange-striped bristletooth, C. striatus, fades to about that color as an adult, and carries an elegant lyre tail like your fellow.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
That's definitely a type of bristleooth, not an acanthurus. The tail and overall shape are dead giveaways. Now outside of Kole, flame fin, and chevron tangs I'm not very good at identifying them, they can be difficult sometimes.

But again, rest assured that's not any type of acanthurus tang.

I personally believe this is a Ctenochaetus tominiensis without the flame fins -- they occur naturally and we see them from time to time.

Last edited:

Adam316

View Badges
Reaction score
I had a very similar tang. Purchased it from LA as a two spot bristletooth. It sort of had the two spots and blueish eye as a juvi like a two spot. It then became very much like your picture. Best me and the LFS that I dropped it off at came up with was striatus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
So earlier today I got some assistance identifying what variety of clam I have. Now it is time to seek assistance on a tang my wife brought home.

The tang was brought in from a guy keeping it in a 75gal and believed it was a Freckle Face Tang (Maculiceps Tang) which is one of her favorites, but the more week look at it we think it may actually be a Ctenocheatus and not an Acanthurus.

IMG_20170206_162041.jpg
IMG_20170206_162238.jpg

It is currently in a 125 but we have plans to expand to a larger tank in the hopefully soon future. He is currently our only tang.

Opinions?
I know it’s a dead thread and I’m sorry for reviving it however, if you didn’t get the identification on this tang I would say it’s C. striatus

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back