Tang Identification

Tom Boyle

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2018
Messages
84
Reaction score
33
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening. I recent bought this tang from my lfs and I’m having a hard time identifying it. It was listed as a “Caribbean Blue Tang”, but I don’t think it is that. Looks to be in the acanthurus family. Possibly an Epaulette?
Thank you!

IMG_4223.png
 
Good evening. I recent bought this tang from my lfs and I’m having a hard time identifying it. It was listed as a “Caribbean Blue Tang”, but I don’t think it is that. Looks to be in the acanthurus family. Possibly an Epaulette?
Thank you!

IMG_4223.png
Appears to be a surgeonfish known as Acanthurus bahianus or ringtail surgeon
 
Good evening. I recent bought this tang from my lfs and I’m having a hard time identifying it. It was listed as a “Caribbean Blue Tang”, but I don’t think it is that. Looks to be in the acanthurus family. Possibly an Epaulette?
Thank you!

IMG_4223.png
Given the dark striping on the side in addition to the white ring by the tail, that's a Doctorfish, Acanthurus chirurgus. If it didn't have the striping, it would be A. bahianus.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new