Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so going to be upgrading to 5 foot tank next year

Currently have
Powder blue
Purple

Want
Black

but . . . if i just add the black im guessing going to have aggression so what about adding a gem + black

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these aint large tangs though
you’ll likely find your current tangs are stunted and in a 6’ tank they’ll grow.
You’re also already pushing the limits of a 5’ tank with wanting 3 tangs. If you want 4-5 tangs you really want a 6’ tank at the minimum if not a 7-8’ tank.

Gem Tangs are not small, they will get 1’ long when they aren’t stunted and Powder Blues will also get 7-8” when they’re not stunted. Purples again, I’ve seen them get huge when they are in the right tank (I know of one that is dinner plate sized and growing with the perfect conditions of feeding).

And a Black, those guys aren’t small either, they are gladly going to get similar sizes of a powder blue. And then you add that not a single one of these tangs is going to be a relaxed swimmer.
You said your fish rarely leave one side of the tank a while ago, this was likely be due to stress. So really if you get a 5’ tank you can’t have any more tangs IMO, going from 4’ to a 5’ sounds big until you see how happy these fish are in 6’ tanks and bigger.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 3 tangs in a 5 foot tank. I would use an acclimation box for about a week. Aggressions will be mitigated. That’s what I did for my yellow and purple. They are best friends now.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 3 tangs in a 5 foot tank. I would use an acclimation box for about a week. Aggressions will be mitigated. That’s what I did for my yellow and purple. They are best friends now.
3 tangs is possible but the 2 current tangs and the tang he wants are too big for 3 in a 5’ IMO, the two he has would likely max out a 5’ for tangs. We have to consider the max size of all 3 with the powder blue getting 8-9”, Purple generally gets 5-6” and the Black tends to get 7-8” (that’s even if people keep them alive to get to that size).

The other thing with blacks is you see people get them but as soon as they get them it’s 6-7 months of photos then they just vanish as if they were never there.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ll likely find your current tangs are stunted and in a 6’ tank they’ll grow.
You’re also already pushing the limits of a 5’ tank with wanting 3 tangs. If you want 4-5 tangs you really want a 6’ tank at the minimum if not a 7-8’ tank.

Gem Tangs are not small, they will get 1’ long when they aren’t stunted and Powder Blues will also get 7-8” when they’re not stunted. Purples again, I’ve seen them get huge when they are in the right tank (I know of one that is dinner plate sized and growing with the perfect conditions of feeding).

And a Black, those guys aren’t small either, they are gladly going to get similar sizes of a powder blue. And then you add that not a single one of these tangs is going to be a relaxed swimmer.
You said your fish rarely leave one side of the tank a while ago, this was likely be due to stress. So really if you get a 5’ tank you can’t have any more tangs IMO, going from 4’ to a 5’ sounds big until you see how happy these fish are in 6’ tanks and bigger.
i disagree that it was stress was cause they had everything on that side of the tank i moved the food source to other side of the tank and they go over there now

if the fish we're stressed they would be aggression and they is not (you know what powder blues are well known for)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Complete agree with this and as hobbyist we have a moral duty to do our best to provide a stress free nourishing environment for our aquatic friends. Not see how many large fish we can cram into an undersized tank.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complete agree with this and as hobbyist we have a moral duty to do our best to provide a stress free nourishing environment for our aquatic friends. Not see how many large fish we can cram into an undersized tank.
well seeing as the person you quoted has about 5 big fish crammed into a 4 foot tank you should not be so quick to judge

2 large angels
1 tang
Foxface
Copperband

i believe

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well seeing as the person you quoted has about 5 big fish crammed into a 4 foot tank you should not be so quick to judge
One difference is that I’m willing to pull the trigger if I see aggression. Another difference is those ‘5 large fish’ are only really going to max out 5-6” (even in the wild these fish don’t get close to the maximum recorded size) with 2 getting 7-8”. And none of these fish are erratic swimmers unlike tangs.

Those 4-5 ‘big fish’ you are hinting at are;
Chelmon rostratum - CBB (painfully slow growth rates)
Siganus magnificus - Magnificent Foxface (Peaceful swim pattern and already 6-7” and not stressing)
Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens - Regal Angel (Slow Growth Rate, peaceful swim pattern and only gets 5-6” generally)
Pomacanthus “euxiphipops” navarchus - Majestic Angel (Slow Growth Rate, Calm swim pattern, only gets 5-6” generally)
Halichoeres chloropterus - Jade Wrasse (Slow grower after he hit 4” and will likely only get about an inch bigger)

And another thing you have to remember, your big fish are currently 5-6” whilst mine are at the max 4” but 4 of them are 3” or less. The Majestic is only an inch, the regal is 3 inch and the CBB is 3”.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what fish are there and what things are being done about it!?!

These are the fish my friend you say has:

Magnificent Foxface
Regal Angelfish (isn’t particularly large)
Majestic Angelfish(is tiny)
CBB (who isn’t particularly large)

The only large fish is a CopperBand, but if you count them all aslarge, (which then would make Cirrhilabrus lubbocki large compared to the other fish) it would make thE number of fish 4 not 5, I believe the 5th you are thinking is the Jade wrasse, but isn’t a large size.

Just because a fish is big doesn’t mean it needs a big tank, and because a fish is small it doesn’t need a big tank. And numbers aren’t everything, and no they aren’t “crammed” as you say

Let’s start with the first fish. Foxface rabbit fish don’t swim the distance nor have the pace or attitude of tangs, like your PBT. They cruise the tank usually and stay around it’s area hovering in position. It is not aggressive as well. Even though it’s a large fish, it is going well in a 4 foot system.

The Majestic Angelfish is tiny, about only 2 inches. A 4 foot system is more than large enough for it, and it has his proper territory. We all know this fish will get large, so @i cant think knows he will need to re-home the fish, or get a larger tank, which is what he is doing getting a larger tank. Atm the fish is in good health, not cramped in the tank, not being aggressive, and isn’t in need of a larger system atm.

The Regal Angelfish is getting a nice size of about 4”, and will soon need a larger space, soon, not immediate, yet the larger space is already coming. The CBB is not a fish that needs a large space to swim, but it is beneficial to it, as all fish love that extra swimming space. That being said, atm it is ok in the 4 foot system, not aggressive, has his territory, feeds well, and does not pace which is a sign of fish needing a larger area.

All of his fish are being kept in an ideal habitat, and he knows he will need to do something about the fish if they prove to be in need of something larger and better. He knows he needs to take action and will do it, is this something you will do?

(Might I add your comment is coming from a guy with large fish in a 4 foot system that are in immediate need for a larger system)

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One difference is that I’m willing to pull the trigger if I see aggression. Another difference is those ‘5 large fish’ are only really going to max out 5-6” (even in the wild these fish don’t get close to the maximum recorded size) with 2 getting 7-8”. And none of these fish are erratic swimmers unlike tangs.

Those 4-5 ‘big fish’ you are hinting at are;
Chelmon rostratum - CBB (painfully slow growth rates)
Siganus magnificus - Magnificent Foxface (Peaceful swim pattern and already 6-7” and not stressing)
Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens - Regal Angel (Slow Growth Rate, peaceful swim pattern and only gets 5-6” generally)
Pomacanthus “euxiphipops” navarchus - Majestic Angel (Slow Growth Rate, Calm swim pattern, only gets 5-6” generally)
Halichoeres chloropterus - Jade Wrasse (Slow grower after he hit 4” and will likely only get about an inch bigger)

And another thing you have to remember, your big fish are currently 5-6” whilst mine are at the max 4” but 4 of them are 3” or less. The Majestic is only an inch, the regal is 3 inch and the CBB is 3”.
Wrong

copperband 8 inches
Foxface like you said 6-7 inches
regal angel 10 inches
Majestic angel 10 inches

like you said they will get 6 inches stunted but they should be growing to 8 the ones at my public aquarium are huge
and your tang gets about 6-7 inches you said it has maxed out at 2 inches which is stuned

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copperband 8 inches
regal angel 10 inches
Majestic angel 10 inches
This is regards for large large tanks, 10 footers show stoppers jaw droppers you see on the internet and on TV, and from the wild.

When was the last time you saw a Percula Clownfish in a right size environment?. These guys can get 8 inches you know, yet it’s perfectly fine to keep them in “[…]“ eyes in a 2 foot tank long term……….people like some don’t think of that

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is regards for large large tanks, 10 footers show stoppers jaw droppers you see on the internet and on TV, and from the wild.

When was the last time you saw a Percula Clownfish in a right size environment?. These guys can get 8 inches you know, yet it’s perfectly fine to keep them in “[…]“ eyes in a 2 foot tank long term……….people like some don’t think of that
same with tangs your bum chum is stating the max size the tangs get they are from the wild

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong

copperband 8 inches
regal angel 10 inches
Majestic angel 10 inches

like you said they will get 6 inches stunted but they should be growing to 8 the ones at my public aquarium are huge
and your tang gets about 6-7 inches you said it has maxed out at 2 inches which is stuned
That said tang is currently 4” and loving life. This species rarely gets 6-7” even in the wild let alone in captivity.

The fish I have have slow growth rates that they rarely even get close to 10” the CBB is likely going to get to 6” but that’s likely to be 5 years from now. They almost never get to 8”.
The Majestic and Regal yes will likely get 5-6” but not 10” as their growth rates are that slow, if you see a 10” of either of these species it’s a wild specimen that has likely lives for 30-40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back