Tang superglued his lips together!

Pete Paschall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I had to re-attach a plug that had fallen off. I used the superglue-epoxy-superglue sandwich method. A few minutes later, I noticed that my purple tang had something white attached to his mouth. I am pretty sure he nipped at the plug and got superglue in his mouth. I put some nori on a clip and he has tried to eat it, but it looks as if his lips are glued shut. Is there anything I should do, or will it "wear off"?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I had to re-attach a plug that had fallen off. I used the superglue-epoxy-superglue sandwich method. A few minutes later, I noticed that my purple tang had something white attached to his mouth. I am pretty sure he nipped at the plug and got superglue in his mouth. I put some nori on a clip and he has tried to eat it, but it looks as if his lips are glued shut. Is there anything I should do, or will it "wear off"?
If he is still able to breath, it will be fine. My scopas does it all the time and no issues. Takes a few days to fall off. If it doesn’t fall off, then intervention may be needed. Biggest thing is breathing. A few days of not eating is no biggie, but after a few days, then it can become an issue.

As for how to remove, I have never had to do that #reefsquad may be able to provide some insight on that.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly man id take the fish out and try to manually see if itll come off with iut causing damage

In the long run if he cant eat he will die. So i would focus on getting it of with your help not on his will

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is still able to breath, it will be fine. My scopas does it all the time and no issues. Takes a few days to fall off. If it doesn’t fall off, then intervention may be needed. Biggest thing is breathing. A few days of not eating is no biggie, but after a few days, then it can become an issue.

As for how to remove, I have never had to do that #reefsquad may be able to provide some insight on that.
Never though of one of my fish doing this my gawd
But yea if he can breath all shoukd be well for now

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im blown away. I dont have tangs but i just never though if that being a concern till now
And i plan to do glueing tomorrow when frags come in

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is more common than you know of. I know so many people that this has happened too.
Plus using super glue under water some breaks off and floats around.
I have had this happen so now I only superglue stuff in tank after lights off..

OP
OP
P

Pete Paschall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! I decided to try to catch him in a fish trap, and during that process the white chunk that was on the outer part of his mouth fell off. Still not sure if it got inside to the point that he can't open his mouth, but he is breathing fine, so I have to think that he is ok.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! I decided to try to catch him in a fish trap, and during that process the white chunk that was on the outer part of his mouth fell off. Still not sure if it got inside to the point that he can't open his mouth, but he is breathing fine, so I have to think that he is ok.

Try feeding him?

OP
OP
P

Pete Paschall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding him?
Yeah, I was using frozen food to try to get him into the trap when the chunk fell off. Then put nori on a clip - he's definitely picking at it, I just can't tell if he's actually getting any because it's a bit of a feeding frenzy whenever the nori goes in.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back