Tang Trio or 3 individuals?

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank rundown - 180 gallon, 1.5 years old, several small wrasse, chromis etc. Only Large fish are 1 Copperband BF (4.5ins), 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang (4ins) and 1 Foxface (6ins).

I am looking towards the final groups of fish, a couple of dwarf Angels, one larger angel and some tangs. On the Tang side, species I am considering are the blue hippo, the purple tang, the achilles, the orange shoulder and the Fowleri tang, a trio of tangs (bringing it to 4 including the existing Kole). If I chose just the hippos, could I do a trio? Or would this result in it whittling down to just one blue hippo over time? Can anyone weigh in on the other species? I am very taken with both the Achilles (and understand it's high maintenance) and the Fowleri, on which I can get very little information.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

(I also like the Sohal, but understand it's some form of demonic entity in fish form so eliminated it from consideration...)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank rundown - 180 gallon, 1.5 years old, several small wrasse, chromis etc. Only Large fish are 1 Copperband BF (4.5ins), 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang (4ins) and 1 Foxface (6ins).

I am looking towards the final groups of fish, a couple of dwarf Angels, one larger angel and some tangs. On the Tang side, species I am considering are the blue hippo, the purple tang, the achilles, the orange shoulder and the Fowleri tang, a trio of tangs (bringing it to 4 including the existing Kole). If I chose just the hippos, could I do a trio? Or would this result in it whittling down to just one blue hippo over time? Can anyone weigh in on the other species? I am very taken with both the Achilles (and understand it's high maintenance) and the Fowleri, on which I can get very little information.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

(I also like the Sohal, but understand it's some form of demonic entity in fish form so eliminated it from consideration...)
This is funny, I was just looking at a thread about tangs!!
i would avoid the Acanthurus tangs since the largest of them need Atleast 8 foot of tank to be truly happy - Fowleris and Orange shoulders need Atleast 10 foot of tank along. Even then I find orange shoulders do better in 14 foot tanks because of the pelagic swimming. I would also knock off the blue hippo since these fish need Atleast 8-9 foot of tank to be happy (Also they get rather big, 8 inch is more common but 1 foot also isn’t impossible). i would say the only tangs possible in that tank at a push are;
- Achilles
- Purple
I say this because although they do MUCH better in 8-10 foot tanks, 6 foot tanks dont make it impossible to keep an Achilles. Purples also stay rather small (6” tops I would say).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. sohal and fowleri get so darn big, like 16". I would skip those.

From your list, I would do a purple and hippo. The hippos can get big, 8-10"+, but not always. 180 is arguably big enough long-term; dealer's choice there.

I would actually choose an orange shoulder over an Achilles, because of activity and hardiness. Look into powder brown instead, for an Acanthurus. They still have that look, but aren't as big or delicate.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. sohal and fowleri get so darn big, like 16". I would skip those.

From your list, I would do a purple and hippo. The hippos can get big, 8-10"+, but not always. 180 is arguably big enough long-term; dealer's choice there.

I would actually choose an orange shoulder over an Achilles, because of activity and hardiness. Look into powder brown instead, for an Acanthurus. They still have that look, but aren't as big or delicate.
“Look at the powder brown instead of acanthurus” …You do know PBTs are Acanthurus japonicus right? They’re just as hard as the other Acanthurus tangs. I would actually say Orange shoulders are too big and active for 6 foot tanks whereas achilles stay calmer swimmers (Still HIGHLY active).

Last edited:
OP
OP
MeanGreenStompa

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Look at the powder brown instead of acanthurus” …You do know PBTs are Acanthurus japonicus right? They’re just as hard as the other Acanthurus tangs.
'Nereefpat' said 'instead for' an acanthurus, not 'instead of'. In your experience have all Acanthurus proved equally difficult to maintain?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Nereefpat' said 'instead for' an acanthurus, not 'instead of'. In your experience have all Acanthurus proved equally difficult to maintain?
While there are some differences, with Olivasceus, the three mimics and tennentii being easier in terms of peaceful Acanthurus tangs. They all have a similar slime coat thickness and are all close in terms of disease magnets. Achilles are different though since they’re more prone to stress than the other tangs of this genus. The Sohal and Clown tangs have both been easy to care for however are large and aggressive in small tanks (10>). The other Acanthurus range have been rather close in care though. Also, I skimmed through that message from Nereefpat so misread a couple words (My mistake). In terms of swimming, they have mostly all been the same (The achilles and Goldrim being exceptions and much calmer swimmers) and have been constant swimmers, holding up to the pelagic swimming this genus is known for.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with a hippo, purple, and Achilles...as long as you add the Achilles last or at the same time as the purple. Purple's can be mean too. The powder brown and white cheek just doesn't compare to the Achilles. Fowleri would get too big for a 180g. They're still my 2nd fav Tang after the Achilles. I have a trio of Lavendar tangs but they fought like hell the first couple of weeks. Now they swim all over minding their own business.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back