Tangs for 125g

PinkyDinkyDoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what combination of tangs I could put in my 6ft 125g?
Below are my favorites:
Lemon mimac-acanthurus
Purple tang-zebrasoma
Kole tang
Lavender tang

Currently housing :
Maroon clown
Firefish
Spotted hawkfish
Lawnmower blenny

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Below are my favorites:
Lemon mimac-acanthurus
Purple tang-zebrasoma
Kole tang
Lavender tang

Currently housing :
Maroon clown
Firefish
Spotted hawkfish
Lawnmower blenny
Youre going to get conflicting recommendations. Is this a new tank ?
How long tank running ?
What test kits are you using?

You can place up to 1/2 dozen NON- acanthurus . . . BUT . . . with a well established and stable tanks with an understanding of good water quality and diet and how to manage it. This is my 135g. I generally dont stock this many but know water quality well and establishing it as I am doing stuff in a larger tank as I prepare a cross country move in a few Short months.

My 135g:
1645479792020.png
1645479817592.png

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would be for combo or singles of yellow (zebrasoma), purple, and maybe kole. I didn’t have success with kole but others seem to. If you are adding more than 1 zebrasoma, be sure to read up on ways to introduce them so they don’t kill each other.

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are my favorites:
Lemon mimac-acanthurus
Purple tang-zebrasoma
Kole tang
Lavender tang

Currently housing :
Maroon clown
Firefish
Spotted hawkfish
Lawnmower blenny
So I have a 400 gallon system and have had many tangs and here is my usual stock list, what is current, and complications I have had.
I know have a:
Hippo
Sailfin
Stripped Bristol tooth
Vlamingi
Barriene
Others I have had with this group for longer than a year were
Naso
Yellow tang
Scopas
Purple tang
Powder blue
Powder brown
White cheeked

the problem I encountered was my vlamingi was 6” large than my naso but the naso would not leave him alone so eventually he was chased out of the tank because the vlamingi had enough,

My yellow, sailfin, scopas and purple were fine for a while until they were full grown, best way to discribed how it looked is they were the size as small dinner plates. They were fine for years but once there was no algea in the tank and a lot of fish are nori, the scopas was beaten to death and the yellow and purple got ick and died.

same scenario with the powders.

mad small fish they have room to swim and grow but my lfs said it right. They are not friends, they are overly aggressive roommates with a huge diet. The odds are high that the tangs will fight just because of the territory and food consumption. The would cause stress and then ick. I personally have decided stick with what I have and call it a day.

in regards to your list I would say start with the kole or lavender not both, and which ever is most important to you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have a 400 gallon system and have had many tangs and here is my usual stock list, what is current, and complications I have had.
I know have a:
Hippo
Sailfin
Stripped Bristol tooth
Vlamingi
Barriene
Others I have had with this group for longer than a year were
Naso
Yellow tang
Scopas
Purple tang
Powder blue
Powder brown
White cheeked

the problem I encountered was my vlamingi was 6” large than my naso but the naso would not leave him alone so eventually he was chased out of the tank because the vlamingi had enough,

My yellow, sailfin, scopas and purple were fine for a while until they were full grown, best way to discribed how it looked is they were the size as small dinner plates. They were fine for years but once there was no algea in the tank and a lot of fish are nori, the scopas was beaten to death and the yellow and purple got ick and died.

same scenario with the powders.

mad small fish they have room to swim and grow but my lfs said it right. They are not friends, they are overly aggressive roommates with a huge diet. The odds are high that the tangs will fight just because of the territory and food consumption. The would cause stress and then ick. I personally have decided stick with what I have and call it a day.

in regards to your list I would say start with the kole or lavender not both, and which ever is most important to you
I have no issues with fighting/chasing and funny is my Vlamingi at 15" was king of the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In order of stocking:

Lemon mimac-acanthurus - 2
Purple tang-zebrasoma - 4
Kole tang - 3
Lavender tang - 1

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back