Tangs in 75 gallon reef

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 3x2x20” reef that has some persistent turf algae. I have a one spot foxface that occasionally eats some but not enough to make a dent. Other current fish include 2 clowns, a melanaurus wrasse, a flame hawk, and 5 small chromis. My nutrients are very low now, with nitrates roughly 5 and phosphates at 0.02, so now I’m stuck with this pesky algae. It’s very tough on the rock and can’t be manually removed in a productive manner. I’ve been battling it for months which has included manual removal, microbacter clean, adding clean up crew, etc.

I am considering adding a small tang or two to work on the algae. I’ve had a tomini before so that’s the leading candidate at the moment. What is everyone’s thoughts on adding a small tomini and a small zebrasoma over the next few months? I know a 3 foot tank is on the small side for tangs, but considering how much they swim on coral reefs, there are ethical concerns with all home aquaria.

Has anyone with turf algae specifically observed certain tangs that are better at eating turf algae?

Thanks,
Josh

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a tomini is okay in that tank. I wonder if that with the foxface will be enough for your algae. The foxface I had before was a giant pig lol.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a yellow tang and a blue eye kole and a Fiji Fox, two clowns and a filefish in a 2ft cube, no problem. Best of mates for 18 months.

Back