Do these species look good? P. Biafraensis P. Chrysirus

• Total voters

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs and I would love to have one of every genus eventually. I am wondering what experience people have with the Prionurus genus. I am specifically interested in P. Biafraensis and P. Chrysirus because they are tropical species and smaller. Pictures welcomed!

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.BIAFRAENSIS

835FECB5-FBD1-48D9-9732-0E44B9D69C03.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish is a juvenile known as Yellowtail Surgeonfish with the latin name of Prionurus punctatus and a member of tang family. Very peaceful and grows in the wild to 2 feet. It is often confused with whitespot surgeon.

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081
I think P. Punctatus are definitely more beautiful and I would love to have a small one but I am interested in smaller members of the genus.

Do you have experience with P. Punctatus? How big do they get in captivity?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience, I hear as far as hardiness they’re more in line with an acanthurus tang as a group but I surprisingly know quite little about them.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs and I would love to have one of every genus eventually. I am wondering what experience people have with the Prionurus genus. I am specifically interested in P. Biafraensis and P. Chrysirus because they are tropical species and smaller. Pictures welcomed!

Have you seen those species offered, by the way? I have only seen guttatus, and only online.

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen P. Laticlavius and P. Punctatus online. I haven’t asked any of the local stores if they are on the distributors lists. P. Biafraensis would probably be difficult to get since I don’t think much comes out of Western Africa but P. Chrysirus is from Indonesia and there is definitely a supply chain for that area. It might take a special request to a collector though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081
I think P. Punctatus are definitely more beautiful and I would love to have a small one but I am interested in smaller members of the genus.

Do you have experience with P. Punctatus? How big do they get in captivity?
Ive seen them in the wild in Mexico and only a couple of times when I had my pet store but never ordered due to cost and what I would have had to charge

mikefirefox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had my Yellowtail Surgeonfish (Prionurus punctatus) for a few months now and he's been a chill tang for sure. Gets along with tank mates, just cruises around like a normal tang. He is the tank glutton though, so quick to aim at every pellet hitting the water that I have to almost throw the pellets in two separate areas at once for others to get fed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other tangs?

I've had my Yellowtail Surgeonfish (Prionurus punctatus) for a few months now and he's been a chill tang for sure. Gets along with tank mates, just cruises around like a normal tang. He is the tank glutton though, so quick to aim at every pellet hitting the water that I have to almost throw the pellets in two separate areas at once for others to get fed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back