Tangs...Yellow and Black.???

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135gl mixed reef.. I have a chance to buy one of my favorite fish (black Tang)for a GREAT price! My reef houses 3 wrasses, tail spot blenny, a Sohal Tang, a Yellow Belly tang, and a Yellow tang....

Was wondering what you guys think about adding a Black to the mix? will him and the Yellow battle???

I hate to break up a happy faimly, as all my tangs get along rather well and have been with me for a while..But the chance to buy this tang (black)may slip threw my fingers if i dont act fast!

May get rid of the yellow if need be..( but dont want to really):cry:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a large mix of territorial fish for your tank, even now (but if all is well then no worries). What are the dimensions of your tank?

I'm guessing you're awar of the size Sohal and Black tangs can attain (along with yellow belly is you mean a Paracanthurus hepatus).

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 6' tank..with plans of going 240gl within the next 6-8 months (tax time)..lol..

all fish are happy together..Theres a little Beef between the Sohal and the yellow from time to time..and the Black tang i may get is 5"..

I more worried about the Yellow and Black getting along more than anything..

starfire550

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe try another yellow or purpletang w/ the blacktang keep lights off first day& watch them worked for me

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you answered your own question by saying "All fish are happy together"....if all is peaceful, let it continue that way. I know from experience that adding another tang will drive your yellow and sohal mad and will force them to attack the "threat" of competition for their food source. No matter what a great deal you're getting on the BT, if it ends up dead (which it probably will) even the little money you will pay will just be money wasted. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS! i may have to pass on the tang..but its kinda hard when its one of your favorite!

reefdive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the price you are getting on the black? I really want one too, but they are so expensive, and usually come full grown. I like to buy my fish little and raise them up.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the general rule that tangs of the same body shape are not allowed in the same system unless it is massive and they are introduced at the same time, so generally I would say no.

You cant give me any more details on size and cost than: "$$$$" ha cause thats not much help!

BuyTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a black tang in stock. It will be going on the site in the next few days. We have had it for two years but we are taking his tank down. We would not recommend putting it with a tang of the same body shape like a yellow tank unless the tank is very big. More than likely they will fight.

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the black is bigger than the yellow then they will still fight but you have a better chance he'll survive. i would also be a little worried about the sohal. they are very mean and will not like a new comer

kellon16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for it. If at all possible the best thing you could do is take the yellow out and quarantine him until the black has been in your system for a while the re introduce him so you have more of keeping the black beat up, just my opinion thoe

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the black tangs I can find on the internet are four inches or bigger. I would really like a small one 2-3"...looks like that will never happen, and even if it did the price tag would be ridiculous. This is why we need to learn how to aquaculture tangs. :D

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked him up Sunday. ..as I thought the yellow has been harassing the black

Giving it one more day and if Nothing changes the yellow will go in the frag tank

badger126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man here's an idea I had good luck with. I have a smaller system(90 gallon) and I currently am keeping a yellow and a purple tang together. Before anyone screams, they are still small and I plan to upgrade to a 6 ft tank kay? Anyways when I put the purple in it was smaller and the yellow was rippin it to pieces. I couldn't catch the yellow tang and so I caught the purple and put it in a vented acrylic box on the bottom of the aquarium for 3 days. The idea is so that the other tangs get used to seeing it and smelling it in the tank. It might be a little tougher to implement with a 5 in. fish but it worked well for me and my 2 tangs get along great now.

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2010-07-04_11.22.36.jpg

2010-07-04_11.22.47.jpg

I havent been able to catch the Yellow yet so the "Black Betty" has been hiding in a cave.so pics have been hard to come by.
2010-07-04_11.23.32.jpg

updates of fish while aclimating

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back