Tangs

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am planning my stock, I’m cycling a 120”x24”x24” tank. 300gallons with a lot of hiding spots in the rocks. How many tangs can I have?,I would like to have 3 yellow tangs, two purple, one power blue and a whitecheek. I was thinking to add them all at once. Any advice? Will it be ok…Y or N

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am planning my stock, I’m cycling a 120”x24”x24” tank. 300gallons with a lot of hiding spots in the rocks. How many tangs can I have?,I would like to have 3 yellow tangs, two purple, one power blue and a whitecheek. I was thinking to add them all at once. Any advice? Will it be ok…Y or N
IMHO since this is a 10’ tank you could have 2 YTs, 1 PT (Or the other way round), 1 Goldrim, 1 PBT (I don’t think the two Acanthurus tangs will appreciate eachother though, since they’re in the same complex and same body shapes). The rest of the space could be filled out with smaller fish (4” max size fish).
So that would be, 3 5-6” Zebrasoma tangs, 1 7-8” Goldrim and one 6-7” PBT.

Upvote 0

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8ft 310gal and I have 6 tangs. In my experience. I found that adding bigger fish than what's in there is a way to limit some aggression if you can't add all at once. I've had to pull aggressive fish and reintroduce after a couple days. Usually Purple tangs cause they're jerks.

Make sure you have plenty of hiding spaces and you should be fine. Minor changes to your scape can help too. Definitely use a big acclimation box when introducing. Every situation is different. Good luck

Tang gang
Koi Scopas
Purple Tang
Naso Tang 8+in
Hippo tang 6+in
Tomini Tang
Pale Lipped tang 6in

Attachments

• 20211019_113911.jpg
    20211019_113911.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8ft 310gal and I have 6 tangs. In my experience. I found that adding bigger fish than what's in there is a way to limit some aggression if you can't add all at once. I've had to pull aggressive fish and reintroduce after a couple days. Usually Purple tangs cause they're jerks.

Make sure you have plenty of hiding spaces and you should be fine. Minor changes to your scape can help too. Definitely use a big acclimation box when introducing. Every situation is different. Good luck

Tang gang
Koi Scopas
Purple Tang
Naso Tang 8+in
Hippo tang 6+in
Tomini Tang
Pale Lipped tang 6in
Nice tank. Thank you for the advice.

Upvote 0

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. Thank you for the advice.
Thanks. I know my scape looks like a pile of rocks but it's all CaribSea caves and arches so it's pretty much hollow with big and small spaces for each fish.

One last important thing that I forgot. I broadcast feed mysis and seaweed pellets instead of seaweed on clips. I feel that it helps everyone get an opportunity at food and they spend the next hour scouring the rocks for missed food. Keeps them actively moving throughout the tank which is cool to watch.

I find that they'll nip at each other if the food is in one location and the smaller fish have to wait for scraps. I just put the food in front of a powerhead so it gets blown everywhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I know my scape looks like a pile of rocks but it's all CaribSea caves and arches so it's pretty much hollow with big and small spaces for each fish.

One last important thing that I forgot. I broadcast feed mysis and seaweed pellets instead of seaweed on clips. I feel that it helps everyone get an opportunity at food and they spend the next hour scouring the rocks for missed food. Keeps them actively moving throughout the tank which is cool to watch.

I find that they'll nip at each other if the food is in one location and the smaller fish have to wait for scraps. I just put the food in front of a powerhead so it gets blown everywhere.
Thant makes sense, good idea. I will do that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 100" x 36" x 28" reef with 5 yellow tangs, 1 Purple tang, 1 Hippo Tang, & 1 sailfin tang, they are all very large fish and some have been in the reef for 10 plus years.
That’s a bigger tank. Wanted to introduce 3 yellow, two purple, powder blue and a white cheeck. Do you think the idea of two yellow and purple and the other 2 is safer since my tank is about 100+ gallons smaller? Did you introduce them all at once?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bigger tank. Wanted to introduce 3 yellow, two purple, powder blue and a white cheeck. Do you think the idea of two yellow and purple and the other 2 is safer since my tank is about 100+ gallons smaller? Did you introduce them all at once?
I would introduce both Acanthurus and all three Zebrasoma tangs at the same time if possible - It limits aggression a lot more.

Upvote 0

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tangs seem to be somewhat aggressive to any new fish but adding multiple fish helps. My Tomini tang was really aggressive towards my Palelipped tang. Surprising cause it was half the size. It didn't take long for the Pale Lipped to straighten him out.

If you're buying separately I'd get a group of small Zebrasomas and bigger acanthurus after. That'll help the pocket book too. :) Yellow tangs are pricey these days.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g 8ft with 12 tangs.

Achilles
Fowleri
Hippo
Purple
White tail bristletooth
Convict
Maucileps
Blonde Naso
Powder Blue
Lavender (x3)
I’d love to see a photo of the three lavenders - Never knew they could be a grouped fish in that tank size! thought convicts were the only tang able to “shoal” in “small” tanks in captivity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 210gal and have 7 tangs, your tank is way longer than mine. Just make sure that you introduce them all at the same time.

Achilles
Powder Blue
Yellow
Purple
Gem
Desjardin Sailfin
Bristletooth
61480F1B-C0F0-43F4-9C26-7603F018C30A.jpeg
Nice tangs and very good looking clown

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back