Tank Almost Wiped out need Diagnosis

ReesesCupsPNBCF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank almost wiped out and not sure if it was Velvet or Ich

TLDR at bottom

Some context - 2x Clown Fish, Cleaner Shrimp, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Royal Gamma, Cherub Angelfish, last one I don't remember look a Blenny or a Jawfish.

I recently added the Yellow Tang and a snail that didn't move for days until I took it out and it slid out of its shell. Promptly did a water change.

Prior to the death of the snail had a bit of ammonia 0.5. Did a water change.

After a couple days did another test 0.5 still (after snail death)

At the time the Angelfish has been swimming sporadically up and down the tank I assume from the Ammonia. The Blue Tang always has been weird, in the sense of it always seeming sick at night. Face and belly turning white. After googling it seemed as malnourishment and whiteness improved when I fed it shrimp rather than pellets.

Around this time the entire tank didn't really want to eat too much, again I assumed from tick in Ammonia. I went on a 3 day vacation and had someone else feed the tank.

I come home to see a white spotted Blue Tang, because it was so late and googling said the Ich. I figured I'd go the next day to the Aquarium store to treat this. I also noticed these worms in my tank that I was told where either the parasite itself or bristle worms.

Later that night all but 2 clown fish and a Blenny survived. I took those three out. Shrimp I thought was alive but trying to take it out, it was almost frozen in place and it fell on its back on the floor of the tank about half way up in the net.

Next morning -

Here is some photos of what the Bluetang looked like - Pics

Video of Blue tang. Notice the "fuzzy slime" reminds me of Brooklynella

Photo of Angelfish

Here is some photos of the worms

Blenny died.

Shrimp is miraculously alive, I head over to Aquarium Store to buy 2 tanks, Copper Treatment and "Natural Treatment" for shrimp.

The clown fish don't look like they have a sickness but they are swimming sporadically sometimes
They're not eating along with the shrimp and have been putting themselves in the pump flow

Shrimp looks like it has the Ich.

TLDR:

Fish dead, 3 survive, not sure what it was.

Within past 2 week, yellow tang and snail added. Snail dead

0.5 Ammonia, Blue Angel Fish swimming up and down fast

Blue Tang always weird at night white belly and face was better after eating shrimp

Am I treating for the right sickness? Brooklynella, Velvet or Ich

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

TLDR at bottom

Some context - 2x Clown Fish, Cleaner Shrimp, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Royal Gamma, Cherub Angelfish, last one I don't remember look a Blenny or a Jawfish.

I recently added the Yellow Tang and a snail that didn't move for days until I took it out and it slid out of its shell. Promptly did a water change.

At the time the Angelfish has been swimming sporadically up and down the tank I assume from the Ammonia. The Blue Tang always has been weird, in the sense of it always seeming sick at night. Face and belly turning white. After googling it seemed as malnourishment and whiteness improved when I fed it shrimp rather than pellets.

Around this time the entire tank didn't really want to eat too much, again I assumed from tick in Ammonia. I went on a 3 day vacation and had someone else feed the tank.

I come home to see a white spotted Blue Tang, because it was so late and googling said the Ich. I figured I'd go the next day to the Aquarium store to treat this. I also noticed these worms in my tank that I was told where either the parasite itself or bristle worms.

Later that night all but 2 clown fish and a Blenny survived. I took those three out. Shrimp I thought was alive but trying to take it out, it was almost frozen in place and it fell on its back on the floor of the tank about half way up in the net.

Next morning -

Photo of Angelfish

Blenny died.

Shrimp is miraculously alive, I head over to Aquarium Store to buy 2 tanks, Copper Treatment and "Natural Treatment" for shrimp.

The clown fish don't look like they have a sickness but they are swimming sporadically sometimes
They're not eating along with the shrimp and have been putting themselves in the pump flow

TLDR:

Blue Tang always weird at night white belly and face was better after eating shrimp

What are you treating with? IMHO - you should take all of your fish - and put them through the recommended QT period. Leave your tank fallow.

Now having said that there are a couple concerning things. 1. The ammonia - which without knowing the pH, etc - is hard to interpret - BUT the snail dying seems like something bad is in the tank.

Can you update all of your parameters.

As to the spots, etc - I can't see them - assuming they're ich etc would treat with copper per protocol. then prazipro

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - others will ask - which test kit you're using for ammonia - and as well - how did you cycle the tank. Plus I forgot to ask - how big is the tank - and how old?

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MnFish1 already asked the good questions
Let everyone know some more params and info about tank and you'll get some great help.

All I wanted to add in is that crashes and deaths like this suck but many of us have unfortunately been in the same situation. Wishing you much luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pic does not detail

TLDR at bottom

Next morning -

Photo of Angelfish

Blenny died.

TLDR:

much but in most cases, an issue like this is related to disease
Please describe anything unusual you saw such as gasping at surface, loss of appetite, loss of color,, fish swimming in front of powerhead, scratching, darting and heavy breathing as examples

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems deaths occurred quickly which reminds me of velvet.
A blue will colour down at night, not abnormal IME, but should be bright when lights on, if not, suspect he’s being harassed.

Is that possible?

OP
OP
R

ReesesCupsPNBCF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - others will ask - which test kit you're using for ammonia - and as well - how did you cycle the tank. Plus I forgot to ask - how big is the tank - and how old?
Pic does not detail

much but in most cases, an issue like this is related to disease
Please describe anything unusual you saw such as gasping at surface, loss of appetite, loss of color,, fish swimming in front of powerhead, scratching, darting and heavy breathing as examples
I am treating the Shrimp with Kordon Ich Attack. I am treating the Clownfish with Copper Power that blue bottle.

I already took all surviving fish out and put them into their own tanks.
The OG tank I emptied as I have a bigger tank thats been cycling for 3 weeks now that was planned to move all fish into eventually.

pH if I remember right was around 7.8-8
Nitrate HR was 8.2

Take a closer look at The blue Tang and the Angel Fish. You can see them they're pretty small. Oddly, when I first seen these spots they where a lot larger almost as it was apart of the pattern of the fish.

For Ammonia I used the a Hanna tester. Now the Ammonia tester I have from Hanna said 0.08 which I believe has to be calculated to get the correct number.
On the tester it self its says "ppm NH3/NH4"

I got 0.5 from an API Saltwater testing kit

Regardless ammonia should be a 0 correct?

This tank has been going on for I think maybe 3-4 months now. I originally cycled it by letting it sit with nothing but salt water, live rock and "live gravel" i guess you can call it. Store recommended it to start cycle.

Tank is 33 Gallon. I know its too small for all the fishes but I was going to move them. Also they where all small so it shouldn't have been a problem.

Unusual activity.

Loss of appetite, all fishes thinking about it now didn't shine as much as they used to. And the clown fish look "brighter" in their new tank. Gasping at surface is what the clown fish are doing now not sure how else to help them. They tend to like going to the water pump head that shoots out water.

The angelfish was darting quite a bit I thought it was because of the ammonia spike.

The clown fish are darting in their new tank right now a bit nothing insane I don't think.

As far as seeing the "ich" or spots if you take a closer look at the video or photos its very apparent on the blue tang.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TLDR at bottom

Next morning -

Photo of Angelfish

Blenny died.

TLDR:

Welcome to Reef2Reef, sorry it isn't under better circumstances.

The ammonia could be the core issue here, as mentioned depending on the pH of your water, and the accuracy of the ammonia test kit you are using (what brand do you have?).

In a nutshell: ich will show initially as salt-sized white spots on the body and fins. Velvet will just show as really rapid breathing followed by sudden death. Brooklynella will show as mucus sheets (which the dead fish showed, but that can also be an artifact of death).

Jay

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you crammed all these fish that need a minimum 6 foot tank into a 33g (25g with rocks) and then wonder why you have ammonia spikes and stress related disease in the tank?

OP
OP
R

ReesesCupsPNBCF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, sorry it isn't under better circumstances.

The ammonia could be the core issue here, as mentioned depending on the pH of your water, and the accuracy of the ammonia test kit you are using (what brand do you have?).

In a nutshell: ich will show initially as salt-sized white spots on the body and fins. Velvet will just show as really rapid breathing followed by sudden death. Brooklynella will show as mucus sheets (which the dead fish showed, but that can also be an artifact of death).

Jay
Thanks

brand is Hanna, I replied to someone else with what I remember pH levels being.

Good news though.
Clownfish at least one of them is now eating and they are swimming normally again.

Cleaner Shrimp is acting strange still, I am guessing because the "ich" treatment it is getting is "natural" and not the more effective copper version.

So you crammed all these fish that need a minimum 6 foot tank into a 33g (25g with rocks) and then wonder why you have ammonia spikes and stress related disease in the tank?
What can I say, you live you learn. Albeit, the tangs where small and I was told by fish store employees that they would be fine but eventually would either need a bigger tank or to get rid of them.

OP
OP
R

ReesesCupsPNBCF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Clownfish are doing better.
Cleaner Shrimp acting strange still and refusing to eat.

I believe what happened here was, tank got too dirty, ammonia too high for too long causing immune system to lower. Some sort of "ich" or disease got into the Blue Tang and the AngelFish once they died a domino effect probably occurred of stress killing the Gamma and almost and eventually killing the Blenny.

Thinking about it now, I overfed the tank with frozen shrimp. Trying to make sure everyone ate. It was a mess. Lesson learned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back