Tank birthday, 47+ years

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Copperband finally passed away peacefully. And she had the courtesy to die stuck to a powerhead near the front of the tank so it was simple to remove her and she didn't become bristleworm food.

If she was near the bottom, It wouldn't have been pretty .
She is the copperband that appears on the cover of my book.

I will get another one when I find a small, good one.

I thought copperband would nip on corals.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I would set up a non quarantined so called Ich Management tank and why I think people have problems. I hate that term "Ich Management" I prefer immune.

A new tank will not be healthy or immune even if I or the Pope set it up. Not the current Pope, the last one.
I am not exactly sure why, but it is the bacteria that keep the fish happy and healthy. I am now not talking about the bacteria in the fish. That is something else. But the bacteria in the gravel and rocks is what we need

We talk about cycling like that has anything to do with fish health, and it doesn't. Many people feel that after their test kit reads zero ammonia and nitrite they can go out and buy a Moorish Idol and whale shark. They can't and those fish will die. The whale shark may even get ich first. ;Bucktooth

If you want to start a new tank and not have to quarantine and have a healthy tank I feel you need to set up the tank with live rock, live sand or gravel and some water, or a lot of water from either the sea or someone elses tank. Then throw out your test kits, but feed the tank heavily.

Put in some small pieces of clam, pellets, chicken ala king or flakes if you like, anything that will rot.

If the water gets slightly cloudy, you did it correctly. You don't want the water to look like New England clam chowder, but a little cloudy.

Let it clear and do it again, maybe for a couple of weeks.
Then add a fish, not a $100.00 Purple tang. Maybe a clownfish because to kill a clownfish you have to run it over with a school bus carrying Sumo wrestlers after they came back from a hot dog eating contest. :rolleyes:

"Do not quarantine that fish"

Add a few more fish but do not dip, medicate, perform palates or put in a separate room 10' away from your TV for 72 days as that will surely cause you to spend time on a disease forum especially if you watch reality TV such as "Who wants to Marry my Grouchy Obese Uncle Bob." ;Meh

From the first day feed those fish only frozen or live food. Live worms a couple of times a week would be great but clams work. Buy them in a grocery store or fish market not clams sold for fish food as they could have been frozen when Nancy Pelosi was born.
I use LRS food every day along with some worms occasionally.

If any of those fish get a couple of spots, don't go on a disease forum or they will have you dipping the poor creature in tree stump remover and polident.
Leave it alone and go out to dinner. Try the Merlot and crab cakes. ;Smug

I recently bought a hippo tank, a few months or a year ago. He scratched a little at first Which is actually a good sign .

Contrary to popular opinion you want living parasites in there. If you don't want them, go ahead and quarantine everything but this thread is about why do some people "not" lose fish in the beginning.

Last week I bought a tiny angelfish. It scratched a few times for a few days. Now he doesn't and no, he is not dead and will probably live 15 years. He is jet black so I would easily see parasites, which I have not seen on any of my fish for over 40 years.

My old, big copperband just died of old age a couple of days ago. No infections or diseases. So I bought a jet black gobi, a citron gobi, sunburst Anthius an angelfish and a couple I forgot. All small fish. But they will never get sick. I will bet Bobby's life on it.
So that is my plan. Other people could post theirs.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I would set up a non quarantined so called Ich Management tank and why I think people have problems. I hate that term "Ich Management" I prefer immune.

A new tank will not be healthy or immune even if I or the Pope set it up. Not the current Pope, the last one.
I am not exactly sure why, but it is the bacteria that keep the fish happy and healthy. I am now not talking about the bacteria in the fish. That is something else. But the bacteria in the gravel and rocks is what we need

We talk about cycling like that has anything to do with fish health, and it doesn't. Many people feel that after their test kit reads zero ammonia and nitrite they can go out and buy a Moorish Idol and whale shark. They can't and those fish will die. The whale shark may even get ich first. ;Bucktooth

If you want to start a new tank and not have to quarantine and have a healthy tank I feel you need to set up the tank with live rock, live sand or gravel and some water, or a lot of water from either the sea or someone elses tank. Then throw out your test kits, but feed the tank heavily.

Put in some small pieces of clam, pellets, chicken ala king or flakes if you like, anything that will rot.

If the water gets slightly cloudy, you did it correctly. You don't want the water to look like New England clam chowder, but a little cloudy.

Then add a fish, not a $100.00 Purple tang. Maybe a clownfish because to kill a clownfish you have to run it over with a school bus carrying Sumo wrestlers after they came back from a hot dog eating contest. :rolleyes:

Add a few more fish but do not dip, medicate, perform palates or put in a separate room 10' away from your TV for 72 days as that will surely cause you to spend time on a disease forum especially if you watch reality TV such as "Who wants to Marry my Grouchy Obese Uncle Bob." ;Meh

From the first day feed those fish only frozen or live food. Live worms a couple of times a week would be great but clams work. Buy them in a grocery store or fish market not clams sold for fish food as they could have been frozen when Nancy Pelosi was born.

If any of those fish get a couple of spots, don't go on a disease forum or they will have you dipping the poor creature in tree stump remover and polident.

I recently bought a hippo tank, a few months or a year ago. He scratched a little at first Which is actually a good sign .

Contrary to popular opinion you want living parasites in there. If you don't want them, go ahead and quarantine everything but this thread is about why do some people "not" lose fish in the beginning.

Last week I bought a tiny angelfish. It scratched a few times for a few days. Now he doesn't and no, he is not dead and will probably live 15 years. He is jet black so I would easily see parasites, which I have not seen on any of my fish for over 40 years.

My old, big copperband just died of old age a couple of days ago. No infections or diseases. So I bought a jet black gobi, a citron gobi, sunburst Anthius an angelfish and a couple I forgot. All small fish. But they will never get sick. I will bet Bobby's life on it.
As you know Paul and as I have reported many times on here, on other threads and other forums I have introduced fish that I couldn't see any spots on them in the LFS. However within hours of introduction into my DT (no QT of course as I want fit healthy fish) would develop a few white spots
Like you I often noticed that the fish would scratch after all it would have parasites irritating it but within 36 to 48 hours the parasites would nearly always be gone never to return, visibly anyway. No other fish in my tank would appear to get any parasites from these new fish. They would certainly not show any signs of them anyway.

I have just introduced what I believe is a pair rather than 2 (true pairs are a male and female who like each other, well at least until the male arrives home late one night, worse for wear and drunk then she might not like him again for a while) of torpedo gobbies. There were only 2 of them in the tank both young but swimming together until I tried to photograph them harrrr. These fish are quite a nervous species so it will probably take a few days at least to settle in properly. My tank lights were off when I introduced them at 10-30pm UK time and they may even have a few spots tomorrow, we shall see but I won't be worried if there are a couple of spots on them as I am confident they will fight them off. Here is the one pic I did take before they were bagged up for me.

20200130_110601.jpg

Last edited:

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I don't live close to the ocean and the only LFS in my area is PETCO or PETSMART, they sell only freshwater fish.

I'm working on laying out my aquascape out of dry rock. My plan is to buy Caribsea arag-alive sand with ~ 25 gallons of either Nature's ocean Nutri-seawater or Imagitarium Pacific Ocean water. Then get a few pounds of aquacultured incurred live rock from salty bottom reef. Thinking on also adding 5 pounds of Grung mud from garf.org.

Hoping adding all this will give me that bacteria I need.

Do you think this will get me what I need?

Thanks

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It that is what you can get, then go for it. Most of the country doesn't live near the sea and I don't want them moving here, it's crowded enough and there is just so much seawater to go around. :p

I think you have a good plan to start this.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote this for Christie Brinkley, but she doesn't like fish, or me so I will post it here anyway. I recommend you don't read it or even look in the direction of your computer.

Of course we know there are two ways to run a tank, quarantine and "Russian Roulette". :eek: Both systems obviously work if you follow the methodology exactly. I choose, after a lifetime at this to go the natural route, but many people prefer the "chemical aided" system.

Humble, me and Hillary Clinton all want our and your fish to thrive (Hillary may want to sell them to Russia first) :p

If you can't quarantine for some reason, go the natural way. If you are a Sissy.... I mean if you can't run a system as I do with diversity. Quarantine.

Humble is very smart and knows his medications. (although he may not be as good looking as I am) I used to know about and have medications but my system doesn't allow or need any medications so I almost forgot all of that as I feel it is not needed and counter productive.

I am not the sharpest pencil in the box but I learned everything I know by trial and mostly error. I have also spent time underwater with almost every fish I ever had. (I also spent quite a bit of time with Victoria Secret models also but I digress)

In the 300+ hours I have spent under water, I have never seen a fish with ich, velvet or anything else. Before Bobby says it, that is because of the vast amount of water in the sea and I get that. But remember, parasites have been here longer than Bernie Sanders and they learned that if they kill all the fish they won't get free health care, college, I Phone 6s, Medicare, Medicaid, meals on wheels, meals without wheels, Happy meals, free face lifts etc.

Parasites just want to suck a little blood and go on with their lives, sort of like Bella Lagosi. A fishes immune system will grow to become as strong as it needs to be no matter how many parasites it encounters as long as the fish has a little time to adapt. "And the right food", No, I don't know how long that is and neither does anyone else.

But I like common sense. Common sense tells me that I am not the luckiest guy in the world and if I can keep my fish from dying of "any" disease in 45 years with absolutely no extraneous, extraordinary, extraterrestrial, interplanetary or magical means after putting probably hundreds of fish in my tank from every LFS in New York, New Jersey and the sea along with thousands of amphipods and copious amounts of mud. If I can do that, where is the logic to imply that it can't or won't work? :rolleyes:

On what planet does that make sense?

I don't get it. How long do I have to keep my fish immune? I mean not one parasite and not one medication in almost half a century.
I am horrified to look at the disease forum because I really love fish as I have all my life and hate to see them killed by kindness when I don't see a reason for it and feel it is so simple to keep fish healthy.

To me it's a no brainer and I don't understand why so many people allow their fish to get infected. I realize many people including probably Joe Biden don't agree, but again common sense prevails. Fish in the sea are swimming and eating pathogens, parasites and that virus in China every day.

They were also probably exposed to smallpox from Columbus wash water in the 1400s. They are very healthy when they were collected.

"WE" make them sick, then throw all sorts of medications (poisons) at them and lose most of them in a few months. It's disgusting like that dried up toothpaste that you sometimes find on your sink. ;Meh

I feel, very strongly (That common sense thing again) that when we get a fish, even if it has spots, tattoes, varicose veins etc, that that fish is still immune as it was all it's life. The immunity it got from it's Mother who used to eat parasites with "every meal". That fish only needs a secure place to live. Not white PVC pipes. It also needs food with "living bacteria" in it that it ate all it's life at every meal. Every single thing that fish ate in the sea had viruses, parasites and bacteria in it.

If we take that fish and put it in a semi bare tank with PVC, that fish immediately starts to go downhill. They are not Parakeets. It is a wonder any of them survive, but the ones that do survive are scarred for life and being their most important system, their immune system is now compromised from non use, that fish will have a very hard time living it's full lifespan and spawning which virtually every healthy fish does almost weekly.

I keep asking, how many quarantined tanks are first of all old, and how many of those fish are spawning and only dying of old age without ever getting sick?

If you sneeze near that tank or as Humble says, keep it with in 10' from an ich parasite, that fish will become sick and need medications because it can't cure itself like my fish can.

If I release my fish back into the sea, they would go about their business, join clubs, exercise and maybe even vote. We all know what would happen if we released a quarantined fish into the sea. Can you say Croak. Which one do you think a fish would choose for himself? :cool:

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post. It was my last trip.
I like it. Shoot me. :cool:

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still say that it's your tank that is immune, not so much the fish. If that wasn't the case, the sick fish you have put in your tank wouldn't have recovered within a few days.

I do question if the parasites in your tank lead a happy life though. Your tank is not an healthy place for them, something is pestering them, like it probably happens in the ocean.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it no wonder many people come into this hobby and give up within 12 months when it's such a confusing hobby to be in so many ways. There are self proclaimed experts, people who spout what they heard from a guy who used to sell melons on the beach and fake watches on how you must keep a reef tank. Then there are those who read it somewhere online from a guy who has been in the hobby 6 months and does unboxing videos, some even obviously reading from an auto read things like you put a penny in at the fair, crank the handle and read what the buttler says. This hobby is very difficult to be anything like successful because whenever I tell people I keep a reef they tell me it's very difficult then say "isnt it". I just don't know anymore, I thought I had it pretty straight in my head but the medications I took I am told I should have given to my fish. That apparently would convince me how difficult the reefkeeping hobby is. I only have one tank no medications for it and no QT tank. Disaster is just around the corner but everytime I look around it there is nothing there. I once saw the light at the other end of the tunnel but you guessed it it was only an expensive must have latest on the market reef LED. Being a poor pensioner I cant afford the latest and greatest. I am not a veteran like Paul, well I am as I was in the boy scouts for many years but they give you nothing when you retire after completing your service. Try as I do may fish dont die so I don't have to keep replacing them.
My tank is so full the fish queue to go the toilet which strangely enough is in the same room they live in.
I don't know what it is I am doing wrong but whatever it is my fish are taking no notice.
One day the penny will drop, I hate copper anyway and the feeling is mutual.
If something goes wrong in the UK remoaners blame Brexit (look it up) global warming happened because of Brexit so if anything goes wrong in my tank it will be Brexits fault. At 11pm UK time tonight we will be a free nation again able to decide many things the snowflakes were happy to let others decide for us. Viva the UK viva democracy.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still say that it's your tank that is immune, not so much the fish. If that wasn't the case, the sick fish you have put in your tank wouldn't have recovered within a few days.

I do question if the parasites in your tank lead a happy life though. Your tank is not an healthy place for them, something is pestering them, like it probably happens in the ocean.

Many of the infected fish I put in my tank recover. Almost all of them actually unless they are getting last rites and I feel sorry for them.

I don't know if my fish are happy, but I would be real happy if I spawned every week or so, never got sick, ate what I want to eat and die of old age. I can't think of anything that would make me happier. :D

As for the parasites, they have really small faces so I can't tell if they are smiling or frowning. ;Bucktooth

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 11pm UK time tonight we will be a free nation again able to decide many things the snowflakes were happy to let others decide for us. Viva the UK viva democracy.

I don't live in the UK and I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Brexit, but I do wish folks wouldn't pepper political opinions in otherwise interesting and relevant posts. There will always be people on both sides of any political issue on these forums and it just feels like unnecessary taunting to include opinions like this.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't live in the UK and I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Brexit, but I do wish folks wouldn't pepper political opinions in otherwise interesting and relevant posts. There will always be people on both sides of any political issue on these forums and it just feels like unnecessary taunting to include opinions like this.
Pepper? Hmmm. Shame you don't see the funny side it wasnt political and even remoaners in the UK laugh at such, well those with a sense of humour do. It was Brit humour ,sorry if you find it distasteful on some way.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know anything about Brexit, or the Queen. I don't care. But Zirco, thanks for posting and I am glad you think this thread has interesting and relevant posts. :)

I started this thread and write like I speak, which I realize is weird. I will try to keep my posts more relevant. But it is hard for me. :cool:
(I also speak at aquarium clubs and Veterans events)

To me this "hobby" is fun and not something to fret over. If it wasn't fun I would give up my retirement and go back to work. However if my fish kept getting sick and I was always having problems with hair algae, cyano, flatworms etc, I would get out.

The only reason I wrote a book is to try to convey some of what I have learned, mostly through my mistakes and ignorance to people who learned from other people on the internet which as you know is a crap shoot at best.

(I don't get a nickel from the book)
I thought I knew some stuff and I wanted to teach other people. My writing style has been criticized here and other places (which is why I am not on some of those places)

I do not try to push my political opinions on anyone and have great friends on all sides of the political fence. We just joke about it. I am a true American and love our system and fought for it no matter who wins.

I am still rooting for Ross Perot. :p

Veteran things

I don't have pictures at Fish Things. :rolleyes:

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul - thanks for the interesting read at 264 pages :)

Have you ever tried to find research on crypto immunity in fish? What's interesting to me are your observtions that:

1. existing fish in your tank don't ever show signs of crypto.
2. newly introduced fish show signs for a day or so and then clear up.

Can you confirm #2 for me?

It does seem like there are a couple possibilities to explain this. Possibly, the fish in your system have antibodies that fight the crypto infection. This is probably pretty likely. What I'm wondering is if the existing fish can somehow pass the antibodies on to new fish. Like how mammals pass antibodies to their nursing infants. Just a thought.

I really wish there was more science dedicated to this - with the $ spent in modern fish-keeping, it seems like something that should be able to attract research funding.

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting work on developing a crypto vaccine:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul - thanks for the interesting read at 264 pages :)

Have you ever tried to find research on crypto immunity in fish? What's interesting to me are your observtions that:

1. existing fish in your tank don't ever show signs of crypto.
2. newly introduced fish show signs for a day or so and then clear up.

Can you confirm #2 for me?

It does seem like there are a couple possibilities to explain this. Possibly, the fish in your system have antibodies that fight the crypto infection. This is probably pretty likely. What I'm wondering is if the existing fish can somehow pass the antibodies on to new fish. Like how mammals pass antibodies to their nursing infants. Just a thought.

I really wish there was more science dedicated to this - with the $ spent in modern fish-keeping, it seems like something that should be able to attract research funding.
Thanks to global warming and the decline of coral reefs there is much research being done on the microbial population of coral reefs. Hopefully in that research we will learn through scientific experiments that @Paul B has been right all along!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back