Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
That tank looks fantastic! How many types of dragonets do you have in there? I love the ruby reds, I have a pair myself! The male is super camera shy but the female is not.

CG15zyS.jpg
 
Nevermind just read that you have a pair of Rubys and a pair of Mandarins. That's awesome!
 
You’ve used dimensions others recommend and you seem to have proven works. I’ve read a few comments about units that size having slow flow rates and the size is recommended for tanks 75 gallons or less. So I’m wondering, does it seem reasonable that a unit with 3/8†tubing 90’ long would provide similar bio performance with higher volume (2.25 times the internal cross sectional area, 1.5 times the interior surface area; so 1.5 times longer to compensate). Like you, I’ve concluded that the anaerobic area should be in a separate unit that can be swapped out, but I’m also thinking that small ceramic filter media would provide a lower flow restriction and particle accumulation. Thoughts?
 
Paul, I have 2 ruby reds, 2 mandarins and a regular red scooter dragonette. They all get along fine and sometimes do the macarana
 
If your interested in a couple other ideas for the Denitifier coil: I'd pack stage two (the anaerobic unit) loosely, so it can be cleaned by shaking it. And I'd set the unit up as two anaerobic units instead of one so it's not taken completely down if it requires servicing.
 
I guess shaking is the wrong word since there's no air in the unit, but one could probably move it one way and another to cause particles to become free flush out. Thanks
 
And I'd set the unit up as two anaerobic units instead of one so it's not taken completely down if it requires servicing.

That is exactly
how I built it so I can take one part off line and keep the other one going. The sand part is easy to empty and change
 
Last edited:
I have to say, I just finished reading this entire thread - and I'm really looking forward to reading your book, Paul. You have a no nonsense attitude and just make things work (you kind of remind me of my 85 year old dad!) I've been keeping saltwater tanks for 23 years - my current tank is only 10 years old though. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your stories, they'll make a great book!
 
Can opening the anaerobic chamber be avoided by adding some CO2, shaking, and reversing the flow?
Why would I want to do that? The only reason I will open it would be to change the sand, and that will remove the bacteria anyway.

Steve, thank you. I am working on it but my wife has been very sick and having a Gamma Knife procedure tomorrow. The book is coming along but I am trying to re create many of the devices I made with pictures and diagrams so it is easy to build if anyone gets nuts and wants to make something I thought up. I write like a combination of Tolstoy and Dr Seuss so the book is like War and Peace and Horton Hears a Who all combined together. I hope to get a pulitzer.
 
Paul will be praying tomorrow that all goes well,
 
I'll be thinking of you and your wife today, Paul. I hope the procedure is immensely successful.
 
Thanks guys, we just came home. Got there 5:30 this morning which was good because thats the only time you can drive into Manhattan with out going 5 MPH. So far, all went well but it takes a couple of months to see improvement so she will still be in pain for a while. I hope it works
 
Glad to hear all went well with the procedure. Maybe try fresh clams, haha!
 
Today my wife had a Gamma Knife treatment for trigeminal neuralgia which is called the suicide pain because a few years ago all you could do was kill yourself as the pain is to great to bear. 5% of the people with MS get it and my wife has MS. The Gamma Knife is usually used for brain tumors but in her case they used it to partially damage the trigeminal nerve that transmits pain signals in your mouth and face to your brain. It is not a knife but a pinpoint radiation device that they use for the procedure. The procedure itself is not painful. We left our house at 4:30 this morning to get to the hospital in Manhattan at 5:30 for the procedure. They numb your scalp with laidacane because they screw this frame into your scalp, then clamp you into like a MRI machine for the procedure. It takes about an hour and you don't know if it will work for 3 or 4 months during that time, you are still in pain. Now she is home and just nausious and can't lift her head. But I hope she is feeling better tomorrow and that the pain subsides in a few weeks. Thank God they have at least something to help people with this.
 
We are pray that helps your wife's pain Paul. I can not imagine how much pain she is in. Taking care of your tank will help you have strength to help her thru her pain. I know because my wife suffers from pain similar to this. We have learned that I need some of my own life so that I can give to her all that she needs. Keep the faith.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 33.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new