Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I think I'll pull the trigger and get one. I think I can learn the mechanics of it, and by the time I do run into problems, hopefully I will have the expertise and know-how to fix the **** thing. Also, having you and some others with experience with them will be most helpful. Do you have any idea how or where I need to go to find out if my location (Iowa) has banned the diatom powder? Thanks Paul
 
Yes, you can get it for medical purposes. I have been taking the stuff but I really doubt it does anything and when I run out, I won't get any more except for the fish. Maybe it will make my hair grow. 2lbs of the stuff will last a long time as you only use a couple of ounces each time you use the filter. It is also cheaper on this site, than for fish, just don't breathe the powder.

Natural Ginesis - Dyna Powder - Diatomaceous Earth
 
I picked up another shrimpfish today. I can't stand it, they are just to cool. They had two of them and one was dead. Although the dead one was very cheap, I took the still alive one. I am sure in a few days he will be in fighting shape in my tank.
Yes, I know these are not shrimpfish. I have a nice shrimpfish video but Photobucket says it is to big to post even though it is about 15 seconds. Does anyone know how to post those?

Here is a video without the shrimpfish.
 
OK, how do I do that. Remember I grew up when typewriters had ribbons, camera's had film and little flash bulbs you had to change after each picture. Computers were only on SciFy films and they were not called SciFy but Science Fiction, disco's were Discotecks and gay people were happy. Not that Gay people today are not happy, I'm just saying. It's semantics. All cars were American unless you had a VW bug, gas cost 27 cents a gallon (and we complained about it) You Tube referred to what was inside your TV, that was a television and there were only 4 shows on which went off at 10:00pm leaving a dot in the middle of the screen. Radio's had to be plugged in and you only got AM. So how do I put it on YouTube and then put it here?
 
lol... I'll do my best...

Go to www.youtube.com and create an account by clicking on "sign in"

Then you will click on the "upload" link... its harder to explain than to show it, but I can't show it as I already have an account and it looks different when its not the first time...

You should be able to upload your original video source just like with photobucket.... the difference will be how you share it on here... You click on the insert video button above the text box when you are posting to the trhead.. its the second button from the right. You copy and paste the link from your video into the window that pops up... To get the link you click on "share video" on the viewing page of youtube... basically after the video is uploaded you can click on it to view it and below the video will be the "share" option....

thats the best I can do....
 
The tank cleared up nicely after the 2 typhoons. I didn't even lost the bluestripe pipefish as I usually do. Maybe they took a trip when I did it. I may still do it again if I get time before boating season because I cant hit all the places because the corals are larger than they used to be and I really can't remove rocks. The 3 razor shrimpfish are doing well and I really like them.
I also need to make another strip of LEDs to supplement my lighting as I don't think my home made fixture is bright enough. I only have 108 watts of lighting over a 6' tank which is way to low for some corals. I would like to increase it to at least 150 or 200 watts so I need to either build an entirely new fixture or just add some strips to my existing fixture. If I make a new fixture, I will add a splash guard because my existing fixture has salt deposits all over it. I can keep my old drivers and just buy some more LEDs which are only $3.00 each so it is not a big deal. The big deal is having the time to do this because the lights will be off on the tank for maybe 2 days. Not a problem unless I get side tracked and the lights stay off.
This is the other side of my workshop that I rarely show.
 
The date on that picture is 1986, so it has been hanging there a while. She is holding a saber saw. So if she was about 20 then, she is 50 now. But probably still a Supermodel.

No place to put artwork on the other side. It's always kind of jammed up with something




 
Last edited:
Wow, a sink and everything. Very impressive workstation. And I'm sorry but yes, there is such a thing as too many syringes/basters. You have a problem... lol. From watching your video, those shrimpfish are so cool and unique, and I love the colors on the male and female ruby dragonettes. Now you have me considering getting a pair. Reef looks great as usual
 
I just re built that work bench a couple of years ago and added that sink. I wanted plenty of storage places which of course are all full now

 
I just ordered 10 more 3 watt LEDs and a driver. The next time I go to the hardware store or HD I will get another 5' aluminum square channel and just build the thing. My reef now only has 36 LEDs and the tank is 6' long so it is way under lit. This will increase it to 46 LEDs which is still not real bright but that's what I want to stay with for now. I still need to find an enclosure to house the fans as mine will be to small. I will probably just build another one from PVC 4X4s unless I can find a small piece of 6X6 as I don't want to buy a 10' piece of the stuff. I may even have a piece left over from my fence. Put some end caps on it and add the fans. I have the acrylic for the splash guard. Now I just need a few hours before boating season and that is the toughest part.
 
love those shrimp fish! they have a display at the new port aquarium with those and garden eels - it is probably my favorite tank there.
 
OK, how do I do that. Remember I grew up when typewriters had ribbons, camera's had film and little flash bulbs you had to change after each picture. Computers were only on SciFy films and they were not called SciFy but Science Fiction, disco's were Discotecks and gay people were happy. Not that Gay people today are not happy, I'm just saying. It's semantics. All cars were American unless you had a VW bug, gas cost 27 cents a gallon (and we complained about it) You Tube referred to what was inside your TV, that was a television and there were only 4 shows on which went off at 10:00pm leaving a dot in the middle of the screen. Radio's had to be plugged in and you only got AM. So how do I put it on YouTube and then put it here?
LOL
me too.
when I went to engineering college computers were analog.
 
I also love garden eels but I can't convince them to stay in my tank. They like to roam around my home so I can't put them in. I have 3 razor shrimpfish and that is all my LFS had. They had more but they can't keep them alive long enough for me to buy them. Very cool fish as they swim vertically and as far as I know, the only fish to swim like that except for seahorses. They eat quite a bit but are very peaceful and will also eat some tiny frozen food, but not as much as new born brine that I have to hatch by the millions for all the pipefish, dragonetttes and shrimpfish I have. But as I said, I don't like very common fish such as clowns, tangs and angels. Everyone has them and I just find them to boreing. Of course I have been keeping those for a long time. I will add anything that I rarely see. If I could find some pinecone fish or flashlight fish that are not a fortune, I would add them also.
 
when I went to engineering college computers were analog.

They didn't invent college when I was a kid. They invented the draft. Then they invented college so people who didn't want to get drafted had someplace to go and learn about liberal arts which is another way of saying, nothing.
Everything was analog and my calculator was an abacus or my fingers. I had a computer in Viet Nam to aim the artillery guns. It was almost the size of a Volkswagen and made the same noise.
 
They didn't invent college when I was a kid. They invented the draft. Then they invented college so people who didn't want to get drafted had someplace to go and learn about liberal arts which is another way of saying, nothing.
Everything was analog and my calculator was an abacus or my fingers. I had a computer in Viet Nam to aim the artillery guns. It was almost the size of a Volkswagen and made the same noise.

This was awesome as always!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new