Tank birthday, 47+ years

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul that blue sponge is looking great.
Very cool you are donating all the profits to MS. I will be ordering your book then I need to drive to get it signed by the legend along with complimentary blue sponge

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost. I've been spending almost all of my time at my cabin in the woods. No services, I can occasionally get a cell phone signal, I put in a solar system for power. My tank has been running on auto pilot since April. It could probably do with a water change.
I have a bluish-purple version of that sponge. From what I understand, they are photosynthetic.

Give Mrs B a big hug for me.
20191004_190618.jpg
20191005_121933.jpg
I wanr to join you!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Pancho. :D
Our Daughter has this farm house in Vermont which I could call a cabin but it is huge and totally re built from the sticks up.

They have a lot of land, I mean a lot and bridges all over the place. They even have this "swimming hole" that was made by opening up a stream. It's full of newts and frogs.

This is from their front window. In the winter of course.

My wife made a great meal last night for us and our friends of Black Linguini and clam sauce.
I realize in a lot of places you can't get the ingredients for that or know what it is. But being Italian and living in New York it is pretty common. The black linguini is dyed black with squid ink and the clams come from...Well.... clams which we also have a lot of here. There are hundreds of them living happily a few hundred yards from my house. :cool:

Those friends are coming over in a couple of hours for a breakfast that I will make.

Pretty common breakfast of eggs, potatoes and toast. They grow the potatoes around the corner and the chickens watch them grow so they are also local. We also have wild chickens and turkeys but I will let them stay wild and not eat them. :p

My potatoes are a mixture of regular potatoes and yams. My "secret" spices on them are "Old Bay " seasoning that you are supposed to use on meat and fish, but it's great stuff and the real secret ingredient is "Lucifer" spice which is a heck of a spice. I never heard of it until last year and it is a mixture of peppers, kind of spicy so you can only use a very little.

Then you have to almost burn the potatoes in a very hot, very heavy frying pan. They come fantastic.

Yesterday I made them apple pancakes which were dynamite.

Anyway, good morning, sorry to rant so early but I know anyone who would read this ridiculous thread is sleeping like most of the world still is.
Have a great day.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Pancho. :D
Our Daughter has this farm house in Vermont which I could call a cabin but it is huge and totally re built from the sticks up.

They have a lot of land, I mean a lot and bridges all over the place. They even have this "swimming hole" that was made by opening up a stream. It's full of newts and frogs.

This is from their front window. In the winter of course.

My wife made a great meal last night for us and our friends of Black Linguini and clam sauce.
I realize in a lot of places you can't get the ingredients for that or know what it is. But being Italian and living in New York it is pretty common. The black linguini is dyed black with squid ink and the clams come from...Well.... clams which we also have a lot of here. There are hundreds of them living happily a few hundred yards from my house. :cool:

Those friends are coming over in a couple of hours for a breakfast that I will make.

Pretty common breakfast of eggs, potatoes and toast. They grow the potatoes around the corner and the chickens watch them grow so they are also local. We also have wild chickens and turkeys but I will let them stay wild and not eat them. :p

My potatoes are a mixture of regular potatoes and yams. My "secret" spices on them are "Old Bay " seasoning that you are supposed to use on meat and fish, but it's great stuff and the real secret ingredient is "Lucifer" spice which is a heck of a spice. I never heard of it until last year and it is a mixture of peppers, kind of spicy so you can only use a very little.

Then you have to almost burn the potatoes in a very hot, very heavy frying pan. They come fantastic.

Yesterday I made them apple pancakes which were dynamite.

Anyway, good morning, sorry to rant so early but I know anyone who would read this ridiculous thread is sleeping like most of the world still is.
Have a great day.
That “cabin” is sweet Paul.
What rant? come on this place wouldn’t be as funny if we weren’t honest and authentic. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from the fish market and bought 2 dozen live crabs. This is the first year I didn't go crabbing so I had to buy them. I finished cleaning them and my fish had a feast. My anemone looks to big for my tank now. ;Wacky

Now my wife will make a nice linguine and crabs and I will be in heaven.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon tells me that my book will be out in an E Book in a couple of days where it will be available to all parts of the Earth and beyond. They said it is so powerful and mind changing that they are going to replace the Bible in hotel rooms to make room for my book. :D

I told them to leave the bible there just in case some people want to pray that their fish don't croak. :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I went to an LFS with a pocketful of money and came home with an anemic looking arrow crab.
I only bought him because I felt sorry for him, actually, it is a Her. You can tell by their eyelashes and the females smell better.

They had some small angels, tangs, butterflies, lionfish, groupers, firefish and a lot of very common, no imagination sissy, Girly fish which i didn't even want for free. The guy tried to sell me a 2' ramora which would have taken food out of my freezer for himself.

I just can't buy anything as no one has anything reef tank worthy. :confused:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a problem with my white worm culture, it's hatching flies so last week I flooded their container and I was straining it when my neighbor came over. He asked what I was doing and I said "I am washing my worms".

He just shook his head and walked away. :oops:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 2 weeks we have been hearing this "wind" noise coming through the ducts in the house and I just assumed it was the wind going over the vent pipe on the roof because we are very near the sea and it is windy here.
Yesterday I was downstairs where the tank is with my friend and he was behind my tank and he said, I hear a motor noise.
My hearing isn't that good from Nam so I don't hear high pitched noises which is why I can't hear it when my amphipods scream when the mandarin eats them. But I could barely hear the motor noise.
I told him there are no motors there. Then he pointed to this tiny motor on my DIY Sodium Denitrifying thing I built which I completely forgot about as it is tucked in between the tank and the duct. The motor got air in it and wasn't pumping water, just making a slight noise which went through the ducts because it was up against it
He unplugged it, and the noise went away. Like Duh. :oops:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 2 weeks we have been hearing this "wind" noise coming through the ducts in the house and I just assumed it was the wind going over the vent pipe on the roof because we are very near the sea and it is windy here.
Yesterday I was downstairs where the tank is with my friend and he was behind my tank and he said, I hear a motor noise.
My hearing isn't that good from Nam so I don't hear high pitched noises which is why I can't hear it when my amphipods scream when the mandarin eats them. But I could barely hear the motor noise.
I told him there are no motors there. Then he pointed to this tiny motor on my DIY Sodium Denitrifying thing I built which I completely forgot about as it is tucked in between the tank and the duct. The motor got air in it and wasn't pumping water, just making a slight noise which went through the ducts because it was up against it
He unplugged it, and the noise went away. Like Duh. :oops:
So what are you gonna do with it? I always love seeing how you modify, and improve things.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the thing off, expelled the air and ran it on my workbench for a while to get the bacteria going again. Then I put it back on my tank. The problem was because the intake hose to the thing grew algae in it stopping the water flow. I covered the part of the hose that goes near the lights with shrink tubing so algae won't there any more. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A member on here asked me about Majano Wands so I started looking for one as I used to have them all over the place.
(I invented the thing and hold the patent)
I found an old hand made prototype at the bottom of a box that I didn't un pack yet since I moved here a year and a half ago.

I didn't think it would work so I figured I would try it on the sponge I have encrusting all over the place.
Surprisingly, it cuts the thing like a laser beam. A very slow laser beam. Then I take out the pieces with a long tong thing.

It is hard to cut where it is attached to the rock so there is some ripping needed, but it still works.
I also noticed a couple of aiptasia in there which I also killed although it works much better on Majano's, hence the name. :p

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the thing off, expelled the air and ran it on my workbench for a while to get the bacteria going again. Then I put it back on my tank. The problem was because the intake hose to the thing grew algae in it stopping the water flow. I covered the part of the hose that goes near the lights with shrink tubing so algae won't there any more. :cool:
How does this work?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this work?

A Majano Wand? It is this electronic thing where you touch the tip to a majano anemone and push the button.
It turns seawater into Hydrogen and chlorine gas. Hydrogen is the lightest element so it turns the tissues in the majano (or any water based creature) into hydrogen gas and it disintegrates and floats away.

I didn't think it would work on sponges, but it does.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back