Tank cracked

Xiar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Just needing a bit of advise here. I’d prefer to not get another tank as this is already the second one. I am drilling a hole for a sump and just as I got to the end the drill caught and cracked the panel through the middle of the hole. Would it be okay to just silicon over the crack since I am painting the background? Or do I just need to get another tank? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Tank is a 40 breeder.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys. Just needing a bit of advise here. I’d prefer to not get another tank as this is already the second one. I am drilling a hole for a sump and just as I got to the end the drill caught and cracked the panel through the middle of the hole. Would it be okay to just silicon over the crack since I am painting the background? Or do I just need to get another tank? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Tank is a 40 breeder.
I think you’d have to get another tank I’m selling a pre drilled 60 gallon waterbox marine 60.2 for cheap If your interested

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could we see pictures?

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I would highly recommend that you get a new tank, there is no reasonable way for you to stabilize a crack that goes all the way through he glass. Also not all glass is capable of being drilled, run-of-the-mill tanks you pick up a pet stores are going to be tempered which are thinner and typically will shatter or crack if you try to drill them.

OP
OP
X

Xiar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we see pictures?

image.jpg

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I’m no expert but you could try to put a cut glass panel over it and silicon it down really well but I’d suggest you do it over the circle to if not you could use it as reptile tank

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cool the bit with water when you were drilling? Either a steady stream from a hose or build a dam around the area to be drilled with epoxy and filled with water does a great job of keeping the bit cool. Asking being the glass is so clean. Oh and definitely replace the tank.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, toast. And not worth trying to replace the panel.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look out for Petco’s $1/gallon sale if you’re in the US. Also I like to sandwich a piece of wood behind where I’m drilling to support the glass and help prevent putting too much pressure on it.

OP
OP
X

Xiar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look out for Petco’s $1/gallon sale if you’re in the US. Also I like to sandwich a piece of wood behind where I’m drilling to support the glass and help prevent putting too much pressure on it.
I got this tank on Petcos sale. I’m just trying not to spend anymore money on the project

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practice drilling another hole in that tank. Tape the back side with painters tape. This will help hold water once a portion breaks thru and it keeps the piece from falling into the tank. When drilling use a very slight rocking motion from time to time to make the hole just a bit larger than the bit. This can help in keeping the bit from grabbing when drilling by hand.

OP
OP
X

Xiar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per popular suggestion I am going to setup the tank in a creative way as a bird cage instead of trying again on a new tank. I would rather not spend the kind of money I did trying to do this project at the moment so for now I’m giving up on it. I might try again in the very far future.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back