Tank crashed almost!!

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home lastnight to a cloudy tank:sad:I have been having problems with my calcium reactor. Someone told me to lower the ph in the chamber.I had it at 6.91 off 6.93 on. I put it at 6.73 off 6.75 on. So the chamber became really milky. When I came home I tested Alk and it was 12 and raising. This moring it is down to 10.2. So far all my corals are ok. What did I do wrong? How close was my tank to crashing? And should I just dose by hand and take the reactor out?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds to me like you have it under control.

I do not use a reactor but from what I hear they can have lower calcium and higher alk then other methods. like 340ppm calcium and 14 dkh alk. Yet things are fine in the tank.

just a rumor I heard worth at most .02

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you are doing what you can frank,like ive told you i dont use a reactor use to just couldnt keep parameters stable with it so i stopped using it,i dose by hand.just keep a close eye on it and check parameters often.RJ

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i checked mine yesterday it was at 12dkh and today it was at 9-10 but i didnt dose alk last night just mag and Ca,it should go down as you see in time,also a WC will help.

OP
OP
Pizzapro83

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tweleve is not that bad? I just am not sure why the chamber was milky?? It mad my tank milky also.

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you do a WC at all,honestly i would have done one myself,ive had my dkh up to 12 a few times and didnt have a problem but now you need to find out why your reactor was milky causing your tank to be also.why did you lower the Ph was there a reason,was everything fine before you lowered it.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you calibrated your pH probe? While you say the setpoint was only down to 6.73, it could have been significantly different. What kind of probe and controller are you using? If it turned milky, I would believe that you dropped the pH a good bit lower than 6.7...

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you bring alk down? Should I just let it happen over time?

Yes, it will go down over time. What media are you using? I do not use the grain type for this very reason. I use the large type.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back