Tank Cycle

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I just finished setting up my first tank (Marineland 5 Gallon Portrait), and now I am getting ready to begin the cycle. However, I have a few questions regarding the cycling process. I am planning on using Fishless Fuel and TurboStart 900 both from Fritz Aquatics.

1. Does the order in which I put my ammonia and nitrifying bacteria matter?
2. Once the cycle is complete, how long can the bacteria population survive without livestock if there is live sand in the tank?
3. If I start out with just 1 or 2 soft corals, will there be enough ammonia to sustain the bacteria population?

To anyone that responds, thank you for taking the time to do so and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I just finished setting up my first tank (Marineland 5 Gallon Portrait), and now I am getting ready to begin the cycle. However, I have a few questions regarding the cycling process. I am planning on using Fishless Fuel and TurboStart 900 both from Fritz Aquatics.

1. Does the order in which I put my ammonia and nitrifying bacteria matter?
2. Once the cycle is complete, how long can the bacteria population survive without livestock if there is live sand in the tank?
3. If I start out with just 1 or 2 soft corals, will there be enough ammonia to sustain the bacteria population?

To anyone that responds, thank you for taking the time to do so and your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Add the ammonia to 2ppm and then pour in the bacteria...I'm not sure about how long the bacteria can live without an ammonia source and I don't want to give you false information but just add a fish within a couple weeks or so and it'll be fine or if it's gonna be a while before you add a fish you can sprinkle a little food in the water daily as a source of ammonia until you're ready to add a fish

ReelDillon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your tank doing? Still up and running? I have the same one and wanted to see if you had made any modifications.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back