Tank Emergeny

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I logged into Fusion and had a message that the Apex wasn't currently connected to Fusion. I went to the tank and found none of the pumps or heaters were running. The Apex has no power lights on the EB832 or the base unit. All of the outlets have power so I know it's not a tripped breaker. I've unplugged the unit and plugged it back in severL times and zll that happens is i get an indicator light on my COR20 for a moment and everything goes dark again.

I put in an email to Neptune but they don't open for a while. Any advice or an idea what might be going on here?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No idea, but I'd suggest you find a spare pump, fast, and get it in there. Some sort of water movement is vital.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already on it. I have a Gyre running some water flow, and I took my return pump directly to the wall outlet, as well as a heater. My Neptune WAV pumps are obviously controlled by the Apex and I can't use them without a functioning EB.

I think I have far too many things relying on Apex and I just learned a valuable lesson. I might have to reconsider my approach. Maybe BRS could do an episode on how to build in safeties or backup systems for these eventualities?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I’ve read too many stories about Apex modules randomly failing to be comfortable running them on my tank, at least controlling critical equipment. Seems to be only a matter of time.

I‘d at minimum have a power head running on it outside of the system in the future, so if something does happen water keeps moving. Maybe a heater too, depending on where your tank is located.

Glad you caught it before it was too late!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I see a thread on controller failures, makes me not want to buy one, and just be more diligent monitoring my equipment. Most I can say is definitely at least keep a backup heater, powerhead and airpump, even if they only get plugged in in the event of a failure. Best of luck sorting this mess out. Following to see the conclusion.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unplug all the plugs on EB832 and unplug the eb832. Press the little yellow button on the back of the EB832 and plug everything back in.
Assure the outlet the EB832 is plugged into is live

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you managed to get flow. I use an Apex but have my return pump and skimmer on a separate outlet as a backup. I keep light (display and fuge), wavemaker, heater and ATO on the Apex. I run a small AIO.

I sometimes get disconnect but in my case it's a just the wifi adaptor since I run the classic. The system keeps running, I just don't have the app to view status. Since you tried reboots maybe a factory reset.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unplug all the plugs on EB832 and unplug the eb832. Press the little yellow button on the back of the EB832 and plug everything back in.
Assure the outlet the EB832 is plugged into is live
That worked! One bad WAV powerhead nearly crashed my tank. As soon as i plug that one in EVERYTHING shuts down. Wow.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Glad you resolved
Contact Neptune support regarding that WAV UNIT
They’ll help you out

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It shouldn’t hence the ticket to have it looked at

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Already on it. I have a Gyre running some water flow, and I took my return pump directly to the wall outlet, as well as a heater. My Neptune WAV pumps are obviously controlled by the Apex and I can't use them without a functioning EB.

I think I have far too many things relying on Apex and I just learned a valuable lesson. I might have to reconsider my approach. Maybe BRS could do an episode on how to build in safeties or backup systems for these eventualities?
Glad it was your WAV pump - I just my second APEX (on my FW tank) fail - I just decided to plug the stuff into a surge suppressor - and toss the whole thing (it was an apex classic) - With my SW tank - I had a similar problem to you - mine needed 2 new chips. I now basically use my apex to control my heater - the rest is separate (and also for measurements - ph, etc) - I would never use it to control 'everything' - but thats just my opinion - and I know there are lots of people who use them for everything - with no problem.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it was your WAV pump - I just my second APEX (on my FW tank) fail - I just decided to plug the stuff into a surge suppressor - and toss the whole thing (it was an apex classic) - With my SW tank - I had a similar problem to you - mine needed 2 new chips. I now basically use my apex to control my heater - the rest is separate (and also for measurements - ph, etc) - I would never use it to control 'everything' - but thats just my opinion - and I know there are lots of people who use them for everything - with no problem.
I have a temp controller plugged into the Apex so it could function as a safety backup if my Bayite malfunctioned. LOL. Never gave much thought to what might happen if the Apex had a brain cramp. Other than my lights, nothing was working this morning. The peace of mind I had using the Apex has now become high anxiety. Might need a plan B if I don't figure out what happened here today. As far as the temp control, I've taken my Teco chiller/heater off the Apex and it will kick in if it reaches 77 degrees. The problem with that is it will only keep my sump warm unless I totally replumb the system. Aargh!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked! One bad WAV powerhead nearly crashed my tank. As soon as i plug that one in EVERYTHING shuts down. Wow.
Sorry I did not see this post earlier as I was would have told you to plug out all the 24V devices and see what happens. This Thread proves what I was saying in another thread that a major weakness of the Apex is that the 24V supply for the 1link is what also is converted to 12V to power the CPU. If anything shorts out a 24V 1link plug then it takes down the whole controller system with it. This is a serious design flaw in the Apex system.

Last edited:

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I see a thread on controller failures, makes me not want to buy one, and just be more diligent monitoring my equipment. Most I can say is definitely at least keep a backup heater, powerhead and airpump, even if they only get plugged in in the event of a failure. Best of luck sorting this mess out. Following to see the conclusion.

I’m with you on that. Having a centralized computer all run critical functions is the opposite of redundancy.
I don’t have a controller but have a low maintenance, automated system.

Best of luck to the OP. Reading posts like this make me nauseous.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex up and running and Fusion finally decided to link. Now the only issue remaining is the port I had the defective WAV connected to is disabled and I have to figure out how to reconnect it.
I understand the reluctance to use a controller this issue, and others, creates. I think we still have a way to go before these controllers are as bullet proof as we'd like. Having said that, Neptune seems to care about keeping the customer happy and they do appear to update the products when necessary. Let's keep supporting this and help them improve with useful feedback.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back