Tank is crashing and cant figure out why

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 180g sps tank and yesterday I noticed cloudy water and did a WC. I get home today and the water is even cloudier than before and I lost 9 of my colonies.

I am dosing kalk, running a denitrator, life reef skimmer, not using socks or floss, bare bottom (tiles). Running dragons breath in the refugium.

CA: 450
ALK: 8.2
MG: 1400
P04: Not tested
N03: 0 (salifert)
Salinity: 1.026

Any ideas what could be happening? Some colonies literally lose all tissue overnight from looking healthy the day before. I have looked for pests and never found any.

81afb12a2194f25c624aada23e7c7a63.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something you did to the tank in the last week or so?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be your issue right there, the denitrator.
It might triggered your system have a massive bacteria bloom.

Can you post a picture of that denitrator?

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for ammonia to rule out an actual crash of the biological system.

That looks like the spitting image of a bacteria bloom. I never had one affect anything other than my own mood.

Mine always burned themselves out. I also increased surface agitation since bacteria use oxygen.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for ammonia ASAP. Nitrite if you can, but not as important. Are the fish breathing heavy? I would get some GAC on there and stop feeding the fish until you figure this out. If something is starting to die, then get it out.

Can you rule out a kalk overdose and a PH spike?

Salt does not cause a bacterial bloom unless it has organic carbon in it - nearly nobody should be using salt with organic carbon in unless there is a VERY acute and precise reason.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went and got an ammonia test kit and nothing there. Should not be a kalk overdose ph is at 7.8, if it is a bacterial bloom I didn't know i could lose corals from that. Possibly it is something else and this just happened at the same time... who knows.

Threw some carbon in the sump and hoping this resolves itself soon.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went and got an ammonia test kit and nothing there. Should not be a kalk overdose ph is at 7.8, if it is a bacterial bloom I didn't know i could lose corals from that. Possibly it is something else and this just happened at the same time... who knows.

Threw some carbon in the sump and hoping this resolves itself soon.

What are your nitrates at?

Edit: Saw they are zero.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial blooms can use up all of the oxygen, any organic carbon that is around (not much in a normal tank, but a lot if you dose) and also snatch up all of the building blocks (N and P). However, they can make fish suffer as much as coral since they do not do well with low oxygen. A bacterial bloom does not HAVE to cause damage, but they can. This could just be an amalgamation of several unfortunate events.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacterial blooms can use up all of the oxygen, any organic carbon that is around (not much in a normal tank, but a lot if you dose) and also snatch up all of the building blocks (N and P). However, they can make fish suffer as much as coral since they do not do well with low oxygen. A bacterial bloom does not HAVE to cause damage, but they can. This could just be an amalgamation of several unfortunate events.
Besides more surface agitation, should I add a few airstones?

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My money is also on the nitrate reactor. We just had a close call at my friend's store with his getting clogged and the bacteria going crazy. We drained and flushed it before it came back online, but it could have wiped out the tank.

Coral slime is a complex microbiome made up of all sorts of bacteria, algae, and other microorganisms that help fix different nutrients in the water that the coral cannot itself. Excess or foreign bacteria can throw the microbiome e way out of balance and lead to harmful infection and/or RTNing. Dipping affected corals in Iodine and lowering the tank temperature to 76º might help to get things under control.

Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Many possibilities. . . . . .
Pump- Is it running at full flow or clogged?
Lighting- Did you increase/decrease intensity?
Feeding- Have you increased feeding and load on tank?
External- Any visitors or kids who could have entered something into system without your knowledge?
Chemical- Any sprays or aerosols near the tank recently?
Heater- What is temp and did heater malfunction?
Salinity- Did you get a 2nd opinion to assure you are getting correct reading?
Window- Is tank at or near a window allowing natural sun light to heat the tank to dangerous temperature?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back