Tank isn't level.

SPSjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just purchased a 120 RR and after some shimming I can't get the tank perfectly level but I can get it close. It's the floor that's tilted a little.

Does it look close enough in the photos that I can get away with it or should i just start over with the shimming?

I appreciate any advice.

P.S. after 4 years I'm finally getting back in the hobby woohoo!!!

IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have any problems in the display but there will be slightly more water towards the front.. I forgot what those sumps look like so I can't say too much about that.. there will be slightly more strain on the front seals but the reefers are made to endure. Preferably you'd find a way to level it though.. maybe add something like a yoga mat underneath the stand (someone makes mats designed for fish tanks but I can't remember the name)

OP
OP
S

SPSjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm definitely gonna try reshimming it tomorrow.

Anyone have any tips on how to pull it off? Apparently it's not a skill I've been blessed with.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm definitely gonna try reshimming it tomorrow.

Anyone have any tips on how to pull it off? Apparently it's not a skill I've been blessed with.
The DIY guy has some good tips:

And I would recommend using the plastic composite shims from HD or Lowes; easy to snap off to get correct length and pretty much indestructible.

BTW, I share your frustration

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a plywood top on the stand and shim under the top until level. Also I think that is a 125 not a 120.

OP
OP
S

SPSjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: now I have both sides level but the tank isn't rock steady. It has a little rocking motion to it when pressure is applied to the top of the front trim. Any ideas?

IMG_0071.JPG

Nick.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That usually means one shim is slightly higher than the rest.

Try to get it as close to level as possible because once the floor settles from the load, it may change.

OP
OP
S

SPSjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I believe I have the tank now level and sturdy in its final resting position. On to the next little project.

SPSfinallygotitlevelJunky

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: now I have both sides level but the tank isn't rock steady. It has a little rocking motion to it when pressure is applied to the top of the front trim. Any ideas?

IMG_0071.JPG
Perfect, nice work:)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back