Status
Not open for further replies.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just the first hit. Read on and you’ll find many more. Like this one

If you read your second source, you’d find absolutely nothing but anecdotal evidence about “bad sand.”

You still haven’t provided scientific literature backing up your assertion that sand “goes bad.”

what you HAVE provided — and what I absolutely agree with — is that a sand bed can become a nutrient source, both from detritus and from binding of organics to the media itself. Which — to be clear — still doesn’t rise to the level of “bad sand,” because detritus can be removed and bound organics unbound. The sand is still perfectly fine once those things happen.

I’ve been doing this for over 20 years. I’ve had deep sand beds, bare bottoms, shallow sand beds — the works. When discussing sand beds, you either run a deep sand bed and never touch the anaerobic parts or you run a shallow sand bed (1” or so max”) and keep it clean. Shallow enough for adequate flow to keep anaerobic pockets at-bay.

To-date, any literature I’ve read concerning “bad sand” has used that term synonymously with “bad sand bed.” Though as I’ve repeatedly said — if you can provide scientific literature that details how rock particles can “go bad,” I’m all ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The logic here is that the sand absorbs the nutrients from the crappy water, and then releases it when the nutrient level surrounding the sand, is less than the nutrient levels in the sand, and since the sand is always surrounded by the crappiest water in the tank, it absorbs nutrients to a level equal to that crappy water. Think you understand now?

no. That’s not “bad sand,” it’s “bound organics”

By running things like GFO, we can strip the organics.

the sand hasn’t changed in composition one bit, even with bound organics.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read your second source, you’d find absolutely nothing but anecdotal evidence about “bad sand.”

You still haven’t provided scientific literature backing up your assertion that sand “goes bad.”

what you HAVE provided — and what I absolutely agree with — is that a sand bed can become a nutrient source, both from detritus and from binding of organics to the media itself. Which — to be clear — still doesn’t rise to the level of “bad sand,” because detritus can be removed and bound organics unbound. The sand is still perfectly fine once those things happen.

I’ve been doing this for over 20 years. I’ve had deep sand beds, bare bottoms, shallow sand beds — the works. When discussing sand beds, you either run a deep sand bed and never touch the anaerobic parts or you run a shallow sand bed (1” or so max”) and keep it clean. Shallow enough for adequate flow to keep anaerobic pockets at-bay.

To-date, any literature I’ve read concerning “bad sand” has used that term synonymously with “bad sand bed.” Though as I’ve repeatedly said — if you can provide scientific literature that details how rock particles can “go bad,” I’m all ear
Sure pal. Whatever you say. Why don’t you post two pictures of your tank taken right now from different distances.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure pal. Whatever you say. Why don’t you post two pictures of your tank taken right now from different distances.

I’m not trying to shut you up. I’m merely relaying decades of experience and knowledge. I’ve no desire to “win” or “lose” anything, or to further engage with someone who’s more interested in arguing and attacks (implying I’m too stupid to understand what you’re trying to say) than discussing.

have a good one.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That’s what I thought. There’s an old saying. Before you take anyone’s advice on this board, look at their tank and ask yourself if you want your tank to look like theirs. Have a nice day.:)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a reminder.....debate is just fine, but let's do it without insults. I had to edit a number of posts.

Thanks, Team R2R

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That’s what I thought. There’s an old saying. Before you take anyone’s advice on this board, look at their tank and ask yourself if you want your tank to look like theirs. Have a nice day.:)
2 of mine, yours doesn't look like anything to be challenging others with.

Attachments

• 20220420_214433.jpg
    20220420_214433.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220410_201807.jpg
    20220410_201807.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220131_141657.jpg
    20220131_141657.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201028_133533.jpg
    20201028_133533.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200930_132907.jpg
    20200930_132907.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200917_193044.jpg
    20200917_193044.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200802_133429.jpg
    20200802_133429.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200802_133421.jpg
    20200802_133421.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200721_230313.jpg
    20200721_230313.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 30

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to say that your tank has the cleansing properties of the ocean? Interesting. I would love to see a couple of pictures of your tank, taken from different distances, of course.
Posted pics already so please tell my your reefing experience? Mine started in 1988. And still learning....

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To-date, any literature I’ve read concerning “bad sand” has used that term synonymously with “bad sand bed.” Though as I’ve repeatedly said — if you can provide scientific literature that details how rock particles can “go bad,” I’m all ears.
Exactly, but he doesn't grasp the concepts of different styles of sandbeds. Never learned about the subject he's trying to be a teacher in.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted pics already so please tell my your reefing experience? Mine started in 1988. And still
Exactly, but he doesn't grasp the concepts of different styles of sandbeds. Never learned about the subject he's trying to be a teacher in.
40+ years keeping saltwater tanks dude. I’m waiting for your pictures.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last warning guys. I'm now deleting posts. If you can't say something without insulting each other I'm going to lock up this thread. Play nice!

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The logic here is that the sand absorbs the nutrients from the crappy water, and then releases it when the nutrient level surrounding the sand, is less than the nutrient levels in the sand, and since the sand is always surrounded by the crappiest water in the tank, it absorbs nutrients to a level equal to that crappy water. Think you understand now?
You might be able to “recharge” the sand by putting it into RO water and giving it enough time to leach out all it’s absorbed nutrients. But that would involve removing it from the display tank and replacing it with new sand which confirms my point. By the way. The reason I specified two photos taken from the same vantage point but at different distances, is because you won’t find those all over the Internet, the way you could find the photos you posted.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to “recharge” the sand by putting it into RO water and giving it enough time to leach out all it’s absorbed nutrients. But that would involve removing it from the display tank and replacing it with new sand which confirms my point. By the way. The reason I specified two photos taken from the same vantage point but at different distances, is because you won’t find those all over the Internet, the way you could find the photos you posted.
Of course, even in this endeavor, you would have to change the water a number of times because once the water reaches the same level of nutrients as is in the sand, the transfer of nutrients from the sand to the water ceases. So you might as well just get new sand. It’s not that expensive.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, even in this endeavor, you would have to change the water a number of times because once the water reaches the same level of nutrients as is in the sand, the transfer of nutrients from the sand to the water ceases. So you might as well just get new sand. It’s not that expensive.
Vacuum the sandbed removes the surrounding detritus but leaves the beneficial bacteria that grows on and in the sand behind. Replacing the sand will cause a drop in beneficial bacteria which can cause a cycling event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back