Tank Need help deciding

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help deciding between Waterbox, RedSea & Cade.

I am looking for a 4 ft. Tank for a reef setup. I am coming from a RedSea Reefer 250 but I sold literally everything off before we moved so I am starting 100% empty handed. I always felt like the 3ft of the Reefer was limiting as far as livestock I could get. I want to run a rollermat of some kind and would love to have at least some kind of refugium as it seems that tanks that have one just seem to do better. It needs to be able to store everything under the aquarium as the wall it will be on is only about 51”. I will likely have a controller along with dosing pumps etc… under the tank. Would love to have an aluminum stand from a weight and strength perspective over wood.

The aquariums I am looking at:
Cade 1200 S2 ~$4K - really like everything about it, stand is awesome, love the auto-top off and plumbing and electrical rack on the side. Just seems to be topnotch except…the price.
Cade 900 S2 - ~$3k - This is more my price point Same features as the 1200 but only 3 ft length and doesn’t have the space for a refugium
Waterbox 130.4 ~$3k great size. Wooden Stand, no refugium, no electrical rack like the Cades and would have to remove the filter sock section to get a rollermat to work
Waterbox Infinia 125.3 ~$3k - again, only 3ft but has aluminum stand, electrical rack and refugium so similar to the Cade 900 S2
RedSea Reefer 425 G2+ - ~$3k - Wood stand, not sure if it has the refugium or not, electrical rack is an add on but has the room for it.

Honestly, if money were no object, I would go for the Cade 1200 in a heartbeat. Just a really beautiful tank IMO. However, I have been to this rodeo before and the costs are going to escalate quickly as it is with lights, skimmer, control…. I am drawn to the RedSea from a value perspective but I have a little bit of “been there done that” and while I had absolutely no problems with my OG Reefer 250, it seems there have been quite a few complaints about seam issues and I just don’t know if those have been worked out. The 5 year warranty is nice but doesn’t do anything if you have 90 Gal of water on your floor.

So looking for thoughts and opinions to help me decide.
Thanks for sharing!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a grand more for what you want.
You’ll be happier that way.
It’s only your first $1000, many more to come over the years.
It will be around for many many years.
Make yourself happy.

OP
OP
pgooden

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a grand more for what you want.
You’ll be happier that way.
It’s only your first $1000, many more to come over the years.
It will be around for many many years.
Make yourself happy.
So true about the cash…people think boats are a money pit… :)

OP
OP
pgooden

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not innovative marine?
I haven’t really considered them <shrug>. My first tank was actually an IM 20 long that was a good tank for several years until the false wall detached from the sides and collapsed. I’ve always thought of them as nano tank manufacturers but I guess that has changed. While the stand is nice and aluminum, I’m not that in love with the colors I saw on BRS website. As you can see, I am somewhat indecisive so having to pick a sump on top of picking the tank etc…might be the end of me. I will hit their website and take another look.

OP
OP
pgooden

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts or knowledge about RedSea’s quality issues? Was that a bump in the road they are past with the new G2+ or, still an issue?

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I am looking for a 4 ft. Tank for a reef setup. I am coming from a RedSea Reefer 250 but I sold literally everything off before we moved so I am starting 100% empty handed. I always felt like the 3ft of the Reefer was limiting as far as livestock I could get. I want to run a rollermat of some kind and would love to have at least some kind of refugium as it seems that tanks that have one just seem to do better. It needs to be able to store everything under the aquarium as the wall it will be on is only about 51”. I will likely have a controller along with dosing pumps etc… under the tank. Would love to have an aluminum stand from a weight and strength perspective over wood.

Cade 1200 S2 ~$4K - really like everything about it, stand is awesome, love the auto-top off and plumbing and electrical rack on the side. Just seems to be topnotch except…the price.
Cade 900 S2 - ~$3k - This is more my price point Same features as the 1200 but only 3 ft length and doesn’t have the space for a refugium
Waterbox 130.4 ~$3k great size. Wooden Stand, no refugium, no electrical rack like the Cades and would have to remove the filter sock section to get a rollermat to work
Waterbox Infinia 125.3 ~$3k - again, only 3ft but has aluminum stand, electrical rack and refugium so similar to the Cade 900 S2
RedSea Reefer 425 G2+ - ~$3k - Wood stand, not sure if it has the refugium or not, electrical rack is an add on but has the room for it.

Honestly, if money were no object, I would go for the Cade 1200 in a heartbeat. Just a really beautiful tank IMO. However, I have been to this rodeo before and the costs are going to escalate quickly as it is with lights, skimmer, control…. I am drawn to the RedSea from a value perspective but I have a little bit of “been there done that” and while I had absolutely no problems with my OG Reefer 250, it seems there have been quite a few complaints about seam issues and I just don’t know if those have been worked out. The 5 year warranty is nice but doesn’t do anything if you have 90 Gal of water on your floor.

So looking for thoughts and opinions to help me decide.
Thanks for sharing!
Buy the cade without a doubt

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you ever decide? I'm in a similar boat, but also looking at the AF605 and Infinia Reef 150.4. I'm leaning towards the Aqua Forest. Just missed Algae Barn having 15% back in store credit on the Cade's.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide between Waterbox and Giesemann personally, it doesn't seem like anyone else makes custom sizes (I'm looking for 240x45x55cm thereabouts).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back