Tank overflowed, repairs underway

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing a small disaster story, and hoping others can chime in on some ideas to minimize further losses as my insurance claim is still on going. So far insurance has been good to work with.

So heres the story. Work takes me away from home frequently. Last year for 9 months, this year for 3. The previous year, everything went great and there were not any significant issues. For the most part, I've automated as much as I can with the tank and for anything else, luckily my wife, though not into the hobby, has helped take care of the tank down to refilling and mixing saltwater for the automatic water change system all while managing a job and 2 kids. There has been a language barrier between us with aquarium things, for example she calls float values "bouy's" which has been a learning curve for me when ever I'm on a call trouble shooting issues that pop up but we manage.

Details of my tank can be found in my build thread, but in short its a Red Sea Reefer 750xl. I moved the sump to the basement, and have an additional 20gallon and 90 gallon plumbed into the system. Most of it is automated, monitored remotely through the Apex dashboard, and usually I see issues before my wife does. Except this time...

Unfortunately, this time I was away we had a big issue. It all started with that nasty algae byropsis, as it snuck in somehow. I think it was hiding out in the frag tank or refugium - I've battled it in the past and killed it off, yet this time it attacked back while I was on the other side of the world, took hold in my display tank and grew out of control. This escalated quickly because it invited its friend the hair algae , growing in massive clumps which then started to break off constantly due to the MP40s random wave cycles (side note, another word my wife taught me, "moss", used in a sentence "why are there moss balls floating in the tank" ) , with big pieces clogging the overflow grates, requiring it to be manually removed. About a week ago, and 1 week before I came home from my trip, I woke up on the otherside of the world to texts from the wife saying the tank flooded. Enough algae broke off overnight, clogged the drain, causing the tank to over flow onto the living room floors, then flood down into the basement. As the sump drained, the auto top off system kept this flood going all through the night. My wife found some water on the upstairs floor and initially wanted to blame the fish for splashing, only to later find a small flood in the basement. Despite the live power cord going across the water, no one was zapped.
water on basement floor.jpeg

Since the tank is level and water was found all around it, my best guess is water overflowed on all sides of the tank. Dried salt residue helps confirm this hypothesis. Water hit the upstairs electrical pretty bad, frying everything and tripped the breaker. All electronics controlling the lights upstairs got fried, including 4 G4 pro's, 3 mp40's, gyre, 2 battery backups, power strips etc. Once we turned the breaker back on, anything that was still getting power started to smell like burning plastic, nothing powered back on. Not a good sign so off they all went. Pretty lucky nothing sparked into a fire. At this point, towels were not going to fix this mess, and the insurance company was called.

Water drains funny though, typically following the path of least resistance, as while these electronics all upstairs got soaked, in the basement fish room, the ones mounted to a wall directly below the upstairs electronics were dry, no issues. My floors must be slightly slanted as it all flowed to the other side of the tank and into the basement, pouring onto a cabinet I had moved away and elevated off the floor, with a Reefbot and Trident - both which are now in water tester heaven. For what was under the tank, it didnt take much to fry things. Most came in through the opening in the back hitting the outlet on the wall and splashing onto to things. I think I'll look into an outdoor dry box to cover it up. Likely wont solve things reoccuring, but could help keep things drier a bit longer.
damaged electronics under aquarium.jpg

With the algae take over, most of the SPS got choked out and bleached already, sad to see go after 3+ years of growth, some which moved from another tank. The fish are fine, many of the other corals seem to be ok even without lights, and one week of no light has kept the algae under control. Now that I'm back home I'll get some backup lights on the tank until insurance gets things settled and I can replace the damaged electronics. Like kind or quality means that since G4's are no longer made I'll have to find a replacement, likely G6's. While an upgrade seems great, I'd rather just have come home to a healthy tank with everything working, not spend time repairing and reprograming everything.

The insurance company has been easy to work with so far. The water mitigation team dried the floors out, and they were able to work around the tank and did not have to move it. I had them take moisture readings on the stand as I was worried it might have gotten water logged. Pretty sure the red sea reefer stands are some sort of fiber board. No issues seem to be there with the stand. No moisture present, stand looks fine, tanks still level which means the floor and or stand didn't warp. Dry out process was interesting. Looks like something out of a sci fi movie.
water mitigation 1.jpg
water mitigation 3.jpg

water mitigation 4.jpg
water mitigation 5.jpg

water mitigation 2.jpg

The biggest issue is this week we will have a floor inspector come through, and I fear if the floors may have to be re sanded and refinished. Since the floor damage went into a few different rooms, and the wood floor is continuous throughout with no breaks (well, the only break is right in the middle of where the damage was done), this ultimately might require everything to be redone. No small task and this could end up requiring the tank to get taken down.

Has anyone dealt with something like this, and what did you do to minimize loss of tank inhabitants? If the tanks getting moved, everything will have to come out. Insurance companies usually pay to move and store personal belongings and additional living expenses. Too bad there are no fish hotels like there are for dogs and cats. I will be searching for an aquarium company to come in and help with this one. If you know any in the Chicago area, would greatly appreciate the recommendation.

Not sure what else I can design into the system to help prevent this from happening again. Possibly some sort of overflow sensors on the floor that go off like a fire alarm? Also, Is there a solenoid I can put into my RODI system that if overflow sensors go off it disables the auto top off system?

Thanks for reading about my loss, appreciate comments and recommendations.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller scale but much similar, total PITA. I actually got it back together end of August. Starts at post #38 and goes through post 80.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max respect to your wife mixing water etc and putting up with everything.

In place of the insurance company I wouldn't pay a dime as clearly lack of maintenance caused it.

You can get an AIO tank where the sump divider is lower than the height of the glass, so in case of overflowing water it overflows into the sump, then this particular issue can't happen.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. Get a water level sensor for your DT, when the water reaches that level it will turn off the return pump, this has saved me from the same thing. The water level got as high as the rim and the sensor turned the return pump off.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with the mess. How did the algae get so bad without you noticing? I’d have a couple of cameras on the tank and sump. Water sensors on the floor and anywhere else have to help.
Also, aren’t most top off systems on a timer of some sort so they continuously pump .... as a fail safe.

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller scale but much similar, total PITA. I actually got it back together end of August. Starts at post #38 and goes through post 80.

What a pain, glad you got things up and running again! Good opportunity for me to start over, I'll have to start looking into holding tanks. My basement 90 is mostly wide open with only a Yellow eye kole tang and two lightning Maroon clowns - though the clowns are pretty territorial. Might be the best option since its part of the same system.

Max respect to your wife mixing water etc and putting up with everything.

In place of the insurance company I wouldn't pay a dime as clearly lack of maintenance caused it.

You can get an AIO tank where the sump divider is lower than the height of the glass, so in case of overflowing water it overflows into the sump, then this particular issue can't happen.
Sudden and accidental discharge, insurance has it covered. The grates go all the way to the surface and there are two drains on red sea tanks. A third would be more ideal. Ether way the emergency drain didn't keep up, or possibly clogged temporarily. Inspecting everything since I got home, it all seems working the way it should.

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with the mess. How did the algae get so bad without you noticing? I’d have a couple of cameras on the tank and sump. Water sensors on the floor and anywhere else have to help.
Also, aren’t most top off systems on a timer of some sort so they continuously pump .... as a fail safe.
Wife was more focused on the kids while I was a military deployment and didn't notice it, or think it was an issue to mention it. Theres a large blue tang that knocks off clumps when its in its way.

Floor sensors are in the shopping cart.

I've tried different settings with the apex auto top off but with the small size of the return chamber, it never keeps up with the evap rate. I tried different settings and programs, but it always shut off for too long, then when the water level went below the second sensor for too long it never restarted. The float valve usually stops it, but the flaw here that was not thought through was that this time with the water still draining it kept going.

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Just got done with the restoration company, floors gotta get redone which means the tanks gotta come down, that and along with everything on the first floor of the house. What a pain for such a small area of damage.

I have a few local reef shops in mind I'll check out to see if they can tackle the job. Aquashella is happening in the Chicago area this weekend, maybe I can find someone there.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things I do to prevent this as I had this happen with a fish getting sucked down overflow.

1. All aquariums go in the basement.
2. Two float switches on DT, kill returns if triggered.
3. High and low floats on sump, kill Reuters.
4. ATO on timer that can only come on few 5 minute intervals 1 or two times per day.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leak detection sensor on the floor right near my tank, if it detects water it cuts off power to my return pump and ATO and alerts me, thanks Apex!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back