Tank size recommendations and opinions

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to upgrade to a larger tank in the near future. This will be my last tank. Haha. Anyone ever said that before!!! Current tank is a 54 corner. Lps/softie dominated. My previous tanks when I started the hobby back in 2000 were in this order. Oceanic 60 I believe to a standard 100 gallon. I had the 60 for a short period of time. It was fresh water and within a few months I got the saltwater bug. The 100 was a fowlr. And that didn’t last long. I wanted something bigger. So after a lot of research, I built a standard “8x2x2” 240 out of acrylic. Had that tank set up for 3 years and then moved. I didn’t have room for it in the new house so I purchased a 140 tall as a happy compromise.
Dimensions were 60x18x30 tall. So I’ve got to experience a tall tank and all the things that go with it. I didnt really mind the wet arm pits, but couldn’t reach the bottom without that happening. Aesthetically, the 30 tall was very pleasing to the eye. More so than the 24 tall 240. Lots of room for fish to swim above the scape. I actually still have that tank in storage. After my second daughter was born the tank was moved and replaced with a crib. Left the hobby for a few years and recently got back into it. I say recently, the current 54 has been setup going on 3 years.
So, all that being said, I’m trying decide on a standard 180 72x24x24. Or a 180 tall, 72x18x30.
Or a 72x24x30tall 240. Stand will be 36 inches tall. I’m building that out of steel at my fab shop. Aquarium will come from custom aquariums. It will be a rimmed tank. Starphire on front 3 panes.
I’m having modular marine make a custom overflow to work with their aluminum trim and hole spacing requirements. So, if any of you guys or girls were to upgrade, what dimensions would you go with??? Any comments/opinions would be appreciated!!!! Baby tang will appreciate the upgrade!!

Last edited:

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are OK with the wet armpits, I think you should go with the 240. I like the look of taller aquariums too. But it really just an opinion.

OP
OP
JCTReefer

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are OK with the wet armpits, I think you should go with the 240. I like the look of taller aquariums too. But it really just an opinion.
I value all opinions!!! And honestly that’s kind of the way I’m leaning. I’ve read a lot of the ideal tank size threads and the general consensus is, anything taller than 24 inches is a pain in the booty. With the 72x24x24 being about the perfect dimensions. I certainly get that, but man taller tanks look good. I know going from 18 to 24 front to back really does make a difference aquascape wise. Sense of depth is so much easier to achieve. And the fish appreciate it also!!

OP
OP
JCTReefer

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to keep? Decide on the new tank size based on that. Longer is better than deeper.
I agree, longer is better than deeper/tall. I’ve had an 8 foot tank before, but this time I’m limited to 6 feet. I’ll be keeping Lps and softies. So light penetration isn’t a huge issue. Right now in my current tank, I have my light maxed out at 40% and I’m getting over a 100 par on the bottom and about 250-300par at the top. Tanks 21 inches deep. Photon V2’s mounted 8 inches above the water line. A night time shot.
572EA65C-4487-4CE4-B19A-E81318ABA6DE.jpeg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more of a fish person so an 8 foot tank was a must for me. This was my last upgrade.
Of secondary importance was getting it in the house. In my case a 240 was the answer.
IMG_2197-M.jpg

The 75 was supposed to become the sump but that didn't happen.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find for aquascapes, a deep tank is really nice. I think it gives more scope. A 72 by 30 by 30 would be nice, but that is not a standard build. You could get one made.

Of the tanks you mentioned, I think you would probably like the 72 by 24 by 30 the best.

OP
OP
JCTReefer

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find for aquascapes, a deep tank is really nice. I think it gives more scope. A 72 by 30 by 30 would be nice, but that is not a standard build. You could get one made.

Of the tanks you mentioned, I think you would probably like the 72 by 24 by 30 the best.
Thank you for your reply! And I’m leaning in that direction for sure. Just needed that extra push, so to speak!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back